Memory leak in Base Editor mode

Guardia

It appears the old memory leak problem from Live is still there, get this and similar messages after spending extended periods of time Base Editing, after a crash to desktop:

----- BEGIN ERROR LOG -----

D:/Games/Tequila/piggs/texWorldBC.pigg: Failed memory allocation (zip'd size 764067, unzip'd size 1398519)

Read failed for file: texture_library/WORLD/City_Zones/Praetoria/First_Ward/Props/cemetary/Walls/FW_cemetary_ironFence_d.texture

The game ran out of memory and must now exit.

----- END ERROR LOG -----

At least now it actually generates an error message, back in live it would just crash.

The game ran out of memory and must now exit.

*blinks*

How long were you editing? O.O

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

3 or 4 hours, I think? You lose track of time when on a creative roll.

I have 16 gb of memory, which normally should be plenty for ANY program, even today.

But this bug has been around since before the shutdown. Some code in there isn't properly releasing memory after it's done with it. If it keeps happening more and more sectors get locked up by the bug, and eventually you run out of space.

I imagine if it had been fixed on live it would still be fixed. ;)

It automatically saves everything, though, right?  You aren't going to lose two hours of work if you crash? 

Not that it isn't an annoying problem, but it's certainly more annoying if it doesn't save your work.

I have 16 gb of memory, which normally should be plenty for ANY program, even today.

Unfortunately iirc CoH is still a 32-bit program so it can't actually take advantage of all that memory. It would be crashing when it hits around 2 GB.

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

3 or 4 hours, I think? You lose track of time when on a creative roll.

Very true, same can be said about the CC. :p

The mention of x86 vs x64 is likely accurate as well and could be a key factor. I vaguely recall the game taking like 1.5Gb RAM on my old play sessions and Now a thought comes in about general crashing at the 2Gb mark, so perhaps it's spot on. Either way I'm not sure how they'd control unoptimized code or if they even understand the codebase enough yet to tackle it. I don't think I've gone more than 1-2hrs so far, so I can't remember hitting this bug yet.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

I imagine if it had been fixed on live it would still be fixed. ;)

It automatically saves everything, though, right?  You aren't going to lose two hours of work if you crash? 

Not that it isn't an annoying problem, but it's certainly more annoying if it doesn't save your work.

No it doesn't auto save. You have to exit out periodically to save. In fact, I think you need to exit the base for a hard save but I'm uncertain of that. I lost a lot of work when the servers were new and unstable.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Confirmed game is running in x86 mode and using 3/4Gb RAM at login/idle.