Open Club  ·  38 members

PC Builders

Show us your rig!

GM Tock

2 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Well if it's gonna be like That... 😛

My entertainment console currently houses the main i7 Rig (ok, so That's on the floor, but it's connected), my release edition Wii U, my release edition Switch (I kinda want to upgrade, but I don't really play portable), PS5 (w/ 3 layers of storage), and my Halo Edition XBsX (will be getting that 1-2 Tb custom upgrade drive when I can). The 2019 MBP is still here, but I'm prepping the PPC Mac G4 (heavily modded) and the 2012 MBP (also modded) for sale finally.

Oh and yes, I will be running Cat7/8 under the house to each room at some point with switches at the jacks so that I can hardwire everything possible. That should free up my Tri-Band wifi a bit.

So, I'll say right now that I'm mad jealous you've got a Halo Infinite XbSX! I tried every place I could to get that and didn't have any luck. Also tried the controller too - did you snag that??

Also, what the heck could a person use Cat 7 or 8 for? Isn't that for data center specifically?

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

17 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

So, I'll say right now that I'm mad jealous you've got a Halo Infinite XbSX! I tried every place I could to get that and didn't have any luck. Also tried the controller too - did you snag that??

Also, what the heck could a person use Cat 7 or 8 for? Isn't that for data center specifically?

I thought about it (because I could have), but it looked ugly, so instead I overspent on an all black custom controller with every layer of grip I could get, that way I wouldn't have to use these adhesive things that keep trying to come off my other console controllers. >.<

As for the network, I don't feel like crawling under the house again when it needs upgraded. 😛 I'd rather Over build and have the room to breath. Especially since I'm doing it myself with premade cables. I'm planning on putting one of these under the house (I have a protected outlet under their already) so that I can run a single line down from the router and then split to the major rooms. I found these cables that come in a wide range of lengths that should be perfect for a crawlspace in FL.

Edited by WanderingAries
  • Like 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• 4 weeks later

I'm glad to see this thread has taken off how it has over the years. 🙂 (I stopped calling myself Tahquitz for personal reasons.  Look here if you don't believe me.)

Sadly, I wound up throwing out the system I mentioned in the very first post a month back as it finally gave up its ghost. And a prebuilt I picked up anticipating that doom also faltered with a critical Mobo fault after the 1 year warranty was up (HP Pavilion, got it for $800 before they ditched AMD for Intel.  I know Gamers Nexus already reviewed it terribly.) So I wound up going to the dark side. I play my MMO games on a slightly used Mac Mini myself these days.

I may try building one again someday but I find myself with less time than I used to.  Still, I love to see the builds you all have come up with and keep 'em coming.  If it gives me plenty of ideas, I know it does for others.

Inactive account.

On 7/12/2023 at 1:16 AM, Tock said:

Look here if you don't believe me.

"But how do we Know you're not a witch?"

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

*googles where to find a duck*

• 6 months later

Friend of mine updating is rig, giving me his 'old' components, a 12900k, Z690 motherboard and 32Gb DDR 5 Trident Z memory. nice upgrade from my 10900k. my question now is if my Aorus waterforce 360 aio will fit that different socket.

50 minutes ago, kanga said:

Friend of mine updating is rig, giving me his 'old' components, a 12900k, Z690 motherboard and 32Gb DDR 5 Trident Z memory. nice upgrade from my 10900k. my question now is if my Aorus waterforce 360 aio will fit that different socket.

Considering all the issues with 13X and 14X, that's a nice, solid upgrade.

Depending on the unit, you might need to get newer mounting hardware.

https://www.gigabyte.com/CPU-Cooler/AORUS-WATERFORCE-360/sp#sp

Check your socket type vs the specs listed above.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

The free upgrade is complete. it is now

intel i9 12900k

ROG STRIX Z690-e Gaming Wifi Motherboard

AORUS Waterforce X 360 (i hate gigabyte but it was free)

32Gb DDR5 Trident Z 6000Mhz

RTX 4090 MSI gaming x Trio

He also left me a 2Tb Samsung NVME Gen 4 drive on the board. that is now my boot drive.

Since I no longer have Corsair ram, I decided to give Signal RGB a go, it did quite well. only missing my razer tartarus chroma and the lcd panel on my cooler.

I now have a complete 10900k to upgrade Ael's machine with, including my old gen4 nvme boot drive, MUCH faster than her old samsung 840 128Gb ssd. since she is still running a 3770k that's quite the upgrade. That thing works so hard on some new stuff lately the whole case gets hot to touch, especially with baldur's gate or hosting a palworld server.

I will say though, those old intels, they still hammer.

IMG_20240302_012217.jpg

IMG_20240302_012348.jpg

Edited by kanga
Complete