Time at the seaside...

Greycat

So, I seem to have a few characters that are ocean or beach-related in their theming, and there's not a heck of a lot for them to do. I'd also been toying with the idea of extending that theme to a SG ($deity help me.)

I've gone through AE maps here and there and there are some there - but not a lot.

I'd like to snag some chunks of Talos (and probably Founders, as well) for use in AE. The SE and SW corners, the north islands (Circe/Ithaca waypoints) and a nice stretch of the boardwalk to north talos, say. Just for some variety.  I wouldn't argue with the boardwalk from the tiki map either. 🙂

• Like 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

For years I've half-wanted the possibility of underwater zones with swimming, aquatic enemies, etc.

And it's always bothered me that in Independance Port, the water is 2 feet deep, but hides a giant Kraken, and supertankers can navigate it without running around / beaching.

But I also remember how much people came to LOATHE underwater zones in other MMO's.

Soooooo, maybe best to stick to Shoreline vs actually going 20,000 Leagues Under.

Sorry.  Upon reflection, I realize my post was probably less-than-helpful.

While, yes, as @Zeraphia says, there's a call for outer space and similar themes to get some representation . . . ALSO as Zeraphia says (paraphrased); it's off-topic.  

So, apologies for that tangent.

Water-wise . . . hmm, there's a lot that could be done.  Honestly, depending on how well its implemented, it could even be far more interesting that outer space.  After all, marine biologists love to say that we know more about outer space than our own oceans, heh.   Just imagine what be'tentacled horrors we could conjure up in BOTH settings!

Oo!

OO!!!

War of the Tentacles!

The Tentacles from Outer Space attack our world, forcing the Tentacles From Below to rise up and strike back!

. . . 

Has anyone made that movie yet?  Someone needs to make that movie!   I feel like it would probably be an anime . . . 

You'll note I never mentioned underwater - that was another post entirely 🙂 

However, as I recall the devs were preparing to mention, or start on, moon "stuff" when they got shut down, yeah. There's also been mention of "rocket launch sites under construction" (I think one's supposed to be in Port Oakes?) for years. And of course, we do have a gantry and "launching" rocket in Warburg.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

4 hours ago, Keovar said:

Related to that, Is there a map database somewhere that lists the maps, what they look like, and how to find them?  

Just these:

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Demo_Editing/Scenic_Maps

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Mission_Architect_Unique_Maps

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, FoulVileTerror said:

Although, honestly, aren't we supposed to get THE MOON before we go underwater?

We actually went underwater some time before shutdown. On the west side of the main island in Grandville, there's a pool deep enough for you to go completely underwater, and in the Cimeroran caves, the end room with the cross-shaped walkways (the goal room in the 'Rescue Suicide Girl Lady Jane' mission from Montague Castaneda, or the room before the map switches to the Praetorian labs inside Manticore's mansion), you can swim under one of the walkways from one pool to another. It just never got used to any degree before shutdown.

Edited by srmalloy

Well, it's not -quite- swimming, ney?  It's jogging with the same animation as used while in the water.  Which is also just jogging with a swimming animation anyway.  The same effect can be reproduced with the base builder.

I meant in terms of swimming as with a modification to the game physics where the fall rate would be modified to simulate the player-character and NPCs inside a liquid with a density high enough to reduce the fall-speed of gravity . . . which, as I understand it, is so deeply baked in to the engine code that it would require some creative work to unhinge it.  Someone like Cipher or Number Six probably have a more informed opinion on that, though.  I'm just playing rumour-monger on that particular piece of the code.

as far as I could tell on Champions it was just basically a visual for the zone, and enabled some kind of fly effect while in their underwater zone, as all actual travel powers got supressed in it if I recall right. I actually did like the lemuria zone there a fair bit in concept and actual play. even had my guys all have a underwater costume set.

I think in theory at least if they could create a underwater atmosphere effect, they could recycle some outdoor maps into underwater locals and just have us all be in auto fly mode in it.

13 hours ago, FoulVileTerror said:

The same effect can be reproduced with the base builder.

... which does have an issue - there's a "floor" to the effect as well. Yep, you can fall through the bottom of the water, at least as I recall.

• Like 1