Swap Death Shroud with TotB? (Blasters)

Solarverse

What is preventing us from swapping Death Shroud with Touch of the Beyond, removing the +Regen and +Recovery from TotB and add it instead to Death Shroud? Much like Ice did with Frigid Protection and much like Fire did with Cauterizing Aura and the same with Metabolic Acceleration?

I don't know about the rest of you, but that is the third time I have tried rolling a Dark/Dark/Dark Blaster (I'm big on theme) and then stopped when I couldn't get passed constantly casting Touch of the Beyond over and over just to get the Regen and Recovery buff. It really turns me off from the secondary completely. Are there any real reasons why this is not a good idea? At the moment I simply can't think of any. I have no idea what the actual numbers are in game, but there must be a good reason I almost never see any Blasters running around with Dark as the secondary set. Where is the spread sheet on that, @Vanden? You had the spread sheets on those did you not?

According to the Data, Darkness Manipulation is the second least played set in game, and I am convinced making this change would be enough to sway more people to play the set. Darkness Manipulation is only 10 points away from the actual least played set, in which Ninja Training takes the lead by 10. The numbers look like this...

1. Ninja Training: 147
  2. Darkness Manipulation: 157
  3. Electric Manipulation: 282
  4. Ice Manipulation: 329
  5. Mental Manipulation: 386
  6. Plant Manipulation: 469
  7. Martial Combat: 511
  8. Devices: 572
  9. Tactical Arrow: 585
  10. Atomic Manipulation: 586
  11. Fire Manipulation: 733
  12. Temporal Manipulation: 750
  13. Energy Manipulation: 976

So clearly we can see that Darkness comes very close to a tie with the very top of the least played chart. For me (maybe others have other opinions) the only thing that would need to change is the suggested idea here. That alone would grab my attention enough to sway me.

Edited by Solarverse

35 minutes ago, Vanden said:

I think my dog ate them

Okay, I have searched and searched but for some reason those Spread Sheets (I think the Devs might have tossed them out on a thread somewhere) that show what powers are played most to least are eluding me. Any idea where I can find those?

Just now, Solarverse said:

Okay, I have searched and searched but for some reason those Spread Sheets (I think the Devs might have tossed them out on a thread somewhere) that show what powers are played most to least are eluding me. Any idea where I can find those?

You mean this?

I'm guessing they made Touch of Fear into the sustain power because they were just grabbing whatever was the level 20 power in every set and giving it the sustain treatment. Ice and Energy are the only 2 sets to buck this trend. Energy is probably different because the level 20 power there is Stun, a melee attack, and an unpopular one at that, and it made much more sense to convert Conserve Power. As for Ice, maybe they figured (rightly, if so!) that players would revolt if they had to sit through a 3.5s animation every 60 seconds.

Believe me, I get it. I desperately want them to split Energize into an unslottable toggle that gives the end discount and a slottable click the gives the healing and regeneration. I hate having to click Energize every 60 seconds; it eats up my Build Up time, interrupts my attack chains, and it makes the heal basically worthless because I can't use it reactively to taking damage. And Energize doesn't even require a target!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vanden said:

You mean this?

I'm guessing they made Touch of Fear into the sustain power because they were just grabbing whatever was the level 20 power in every set and giving it the sustain treatment. Ice and Energy are the only 2 sets to buck this trend. Energy is probably different because the level 20 power there is Stun, a melee attack, and an unpopular one at that, and it made much more sense to convert Conserve Power. As for Ice, maybe they figured (rightly, if so!) that players would revolt if they had to sit through a 3.5s animation every 60 seconds.

Believe me, I get it. I desperately want them to split Energize into an unslottable toggle that gives the end discount and a slottable click the gives the healing and regeneration. I hate having to click Energize every 60 seconds; it eats up my Build Up time, interrupts my attack chains, and it makes the heal basically worthless because I can't use it reactively to taking damage. And Energize doesn't even require a target!

Yeah, it drives me insane for those exact same reasons. Ice, Fire and Rad got a lot of love there whereas the other sets just kinda got the tail scraps that were left over, lol.

Edited by Solarverse

6 minutes ago, Vanden said:

You mean this?

Yes, thank you, and it looks like my assumption was correct. It's one of the least played secondaries for Blasters in game; losing to Ninja Training by 10 points with Dark being 157, Ninja Training being 147, with Elec bringing up 3rd place for least played at 282.

So yeah, according to that data sheet, it is second to last in the list, only missing being dead last by 10.

I think personally (at least it would sway me enough) just making the suggested change above would be enough to get people to play /Dark more often.

I have an IO'd elec/Dark blaster that I made on a whim thinking it could be cool, but the sustain is just not sustainable so it largely sits on a shelf.

I'd rather them rework touch of the beyond to a sustain toggle, and leave death shroud alone as offensive toggles can get toggle dropped though.

4 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

I have an IO'd elec/Dark blaster that I made on a whim thinking it could be cool, but the sustain is just not sustainable so it largely sits on a shelf.

I'd rather them rework touch of the beyond to a sustain toggle, and leave death shroud alone as offensive toggles can get toggle dropped though.

As long as it gets attached to a toggle, that would be my main thing.

23 hours ago, Dragon Crush said:

Would involve wreaking the cottage, but maybe drop dark pit for a cloak of fear/sustain toggle (one that suppresses rather than drops) and shuffle that and touch of beyond/fear.

Sometimes, burning down the cottage is a  very beneficial thing.

• Like 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward