Could use some help.....old habits getting me

Bleuz

Alright so I'm having the same problem I always have.. picking a toon to start with... this will be my first toon. So like it to be semi able to farm but dont like the standard thorn/fire brute way of life. 

I'm more or less looking for something that can do semi ok with farming dont care if it takes me a month to make what a true farmer does in a week. 

I have a crap comp even by live server standards.. so needs to be lag safe(yes I know drop difficulty to compensate. But I knows there's build that can work around this) 

I dont care class.. (tbh never owned classic. Used to go to bestfriends house and high Jack his older bros comp and play all his toons) have a soft spot for all. 

Just wanna relearn with a decent from start toon. Then I'll get more in depth as I feel confident.

• Like 1

😁😁😁😁😁

Welcome home.  Pretty much any AT and power sets can farm.  Particularly if you don't really care how fast and you are talking a level 50+Incarnate build.  We have Empaths doing solo runs of the ITF at max difficulty.  That said for getting back into things your melee AT's are generally going to have an easier time of it for someone returning to the game and don't need to be as tricked out/Incarnate builds where system mastery is as needed to do it.  Basically jump in and have fun.

PS: While my computer wasn't quite so ancient it was old enough to go kaput on me and I was nervous about playing on a lousy slow hotspot connection.  While getting started downloading an old SG mate reminded me the game was playable on dial up ... yeah it's that old and it ran smoothly until the computer's legs gave out on me

Edited by Doomguide2005
PS

If you dont care about farming speed, then play the AT and powersets you would like to play.

any toon with the right build can farm, just some are more efficient than others.

I have seen every AT farming at +4/8.

For easier time leveling up and farming later on i would recommend a tank or a brute and just have fun.

• Like 1

Plant/Storm, Claws/SR, Earth/Storm, Electric/Fire, Cold/Ice, Dark/Rad, Fire/Energy, Fire/Kin are all older sets I've enjoyed.  There's (unfortunately for the indecisive) a bunch of newer sets and proliferation in the last few issues from just pre Sunset to here on HC.  Sentinels are a whole new AT.  

And the leveling pace even without 'power leveling' is rapid if one desires it.  In short pick 1 or 10 and level them all and see what catches your attention. You've got literally a 1000 slots a server and transfer between servers are earned steadily making moving between servers easy ... let your altitis run rampant.

If you want something that is good for all content and decent at farming I would suggest a claws tank/brute/scrapper.  Scrapper won’t be able to tank as much damage, but deals more in return. So you’d just need to be more careful in farms. 

If you aren’t building purely for a farm then you don’t need to go fire. If you happen to like fiery aura anyway, then that just happens to be the best farming armor. Other offensively strong armors that are good in all content include rad, shield, and bio. Though honestly if you don’t particularly care about speed you could choose just about any armor. 

Either a Rad/Fire Brute or Fire/Rad Tanker. Capped S/L resist and Melee Defense so that S/L content is a breeze. This setup is easy to build and strong for both farming and regular content.

Edited by Myrmidon
  • Like 2

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Lag friendly, farm capable: Tanker, Tanker, Tanker.

Tankers got huge buffs on Homecoming. Their base damage was raised, their AoE cap went from 10 to 16, their AoE radius went +50% (that's 225% the previous surface area).

Pick any powerset you want. I wouldn't worry beyond that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nihilii said:

Lag friendly, farm capable: Tanker, Tanker, Tanker.

Tankers got huge buffs on Homecoming. Their base damage was raised, their AoE cap went from 10 to 16, their AoE radius went +50% (that's 225% the previous surface area).

Pick any powerset you want. I wouldn't worry beyond that.

This. For a first character, I'd definitely pick Super Reflexes as your primary powerset. It can be made very tough with extremely low investment and completely bonkers when you can finance a top tier build. Primary is mostly up to you, but Claws, for example, is a great pairing with good single target and AoE damage.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

If I were in your shoes I'd be making a Brute, but thats just me. There are so many great options for survivability and damage in the majority of the sets. Having a farm brute on you roster to fund your other escapades is a HUGE help. My second toon was a Rad/Fire brute. He does very well in all content outside of AE, have done it all with that character. Every time i get the itch to try out a new build I can just fire up the INF making machine and viola decked out in all purps and ATOs before you know it. Having that farm toon on a second account is even better...but thats a whole other conversation.

9 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

Either a Rad/Fire Brute or Fire/Rad Tanker. Capped S/L resist and Melee Defense so that S/L content is a breeze. This setup is easy to build and strong for both farming and regular content.

I built a fire/fire brute for playing and then (like a year later) decided to give him a second build for farming.  Whatever character you decided to use, remember that you can have more than one build.  All your incarnate powers are available to every build - you just need new enhancements.

Also, once upon a time, fire/kinetics controllers were the ultimate farmers.  Back when we only had SO's, my fire/kin controller could clear maps set for +1/x8 without trying very hard (i.e. not even bothering with inspirations).

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.