Ideas for free form archetype.

Robertium77

Hello:

I would like to suggest the idea of FREE FORM archetype. But not quite free as it sounds....I suggest to make a melee, range, support, controller/dominator free form between the same Archetype. Be able to choose any power of the tankers power sets, brutes power sets, defenders power sets, etc. For example, get 2 powers from Super Strength set, 3 power from Martial arts set, 1 from energy melee set, etc. It would be nice to get the favorites powers of our favorites powersets.

What do you think?

Greetings!!

This is a fun idea but it would need some balancing.  Like it or not, the original powersets were balanced partly by having some dud powers.  While IMHO a better idea might be to make each power of equivalent rank equally good, that tends to homogenize the powers and remove the distinction between powersets. 

If there were not a careful balancing factor of some sort, it would be possible to only take the "best" powers from each set, skip all the duds, and become way too strong. 

I'm not sure what a proper balancing factor would look like, but I do like your idea of being able to mix things up a bit.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sailboat said:

If there were not a careful balancing factor of some sort, it would be possible to only take the "best" powers from each set, skip all the duds, and become way too strong. 

Yup.  There is another server out there that does the freeform thing (although limited to powersets available to the archtype), and I built an AOE monster of a blaster  Almost every attack power that I took was a targeted AoE or a PBAoE damage, with 2 aims and 3 build ups, plus some utility powers for good measure.  It was hella good for soloing large groups since the player population is low... but ultimately I found the appeal a little lacking after a little playtime and getting bored with it.

My take on it is the ability to have range and melee attacks, some control here and there and possibly a nice mix of ST, AoE/PBAoEs. The closest I've come to that is a Fortunata. Forts have several controls (some of which I deem redundant, but that's just me), some very strong ranged STs and AoEs, a few noteworthy melee attacks, and one helluva nuke. Plus it comes with a very sturdy armour set with buffs to everyone on the team. The problem I've had (am having) is deciding on the play style, as it will dictate which powers you take and how they fall into your chain. I have a fort with 2 builds so far that hasn't quite satisfied me yet, but I'm working on it.

I like the option of attacking at range, then following it up with melee, or vice-versa, using ranged ST attacks to pick off runners. I've found a simpler version, not without faults, in Blasters and Dominators. With these two ATs, I armour gets bumped down in terms of priority, and I try to make up for it with set bonuses from IOs. They're not the toughest, but they can hold their own. I'm fine-tuning a Grav/Energy Dom to be sturdier at the moment, and seriously enjoying a Rad/Energy Blaster who is one of my fave AV killers. 

AE is different than in-game, friend.

Balance would need to be considered, and I'm pretty sure the server that does freeform in a fashion can manage it due to low pop. God knows what'd happen if HC did freeform with the larger popuatlion.

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

That was the original idea on CoH by Jack Emmert, they changed it to AT's and powersets back in the Alpha to balance out characters as they feared people making essentially an AoE machine using multiple aoes/nukes with  tanker armor.

Although it sounds like it allows for more build diversity, they were actually seeing less build diversity in character development.

On 10/25/2020 at 6:16 AM, Player2 said:

Yup.  There is another server out there that does the freeform thing (although limited to powersets available to the archtype), and I built an AOE monster of a blaster  Almost every attack power that I took was a targeted AoE or a PBAoE damage, with 2 aims and 3 build ups, plus some utility powers for good measure.  It was hella good for soloing large groups since the player population is low... but ultimately I found the appeal a little lacking after a little playtime and getting bored with it.

what server is this, and also is there a version of mids that allows this?

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?