Dual Pistols ammo type

Mack008

Recently started playing a DP character.  I understand the intent of ammo types is that you can constantly switch to what's most effective in that moment, I'm curious if one is a better "default" option than the others.  Which ammo type should I make my default until I need to switch?

Edited by Mack008

Standard type gives you good defensive options with regular knockbacks. I use this as my base when soloing.

Cold rounds stack with any other -Movement sources to help you slow down mobs so you can kite heavy-hitting Bosses. I use this against melee-oriented Bosses.

Chemical rounds don't do much in general (you lower incoming damage more by lowering Recharge or with knockdowns), but are useful against AVs since they resist other debuffs/controls. I would probably use these against AVs unless I felt my defense is really solid against them.

Fire rounds do the most damage, and are the go-to in situations where defense is not important (such as on teams). Also, teams often don't like knockback and even Slows are sometimes bad if the team has a Tanker that tries to clump mobs up for AoEs. So getting rid of knockback while increasing damage is a double-win on teams.

As above, but I'll add a few things.  

Standard ammo is 100% lethal damage.  On top of this, it includes knockback for some powers like Dual Wield and Executioner's Shot.  Hail of Bullets has a 100% chance to knockdown at the end of its animation during Standard Ammo effects.  In addition to all of this, Pistols, Empty Clips, and Executioner's Shot all reduce defense during standard ammo.  Piercing rounds reduces resistance.  Suppressive Fire is a mag 3 stun.  The negative defense and resistance effects run off the Blaster scale which is low when compared to Corruptors and Defenders.  However, it is still something so it may be something to consider swapping to in groups or when situations call for it. 

When you use any ammo power the inherent knockback of the power is turned off and Hail of Bullets changes to having a *high chance* of knockdown vs guaranteed knockdown.  Most attacks retain 70% lethal damage and the remaining damage becomes whatever the elemental ammo type is (i.e., cold, toxic, fire).  Suppressive Fire switches from being a stun to becoming a mag 3 hold with any elemental ammo equipped.  

Fire ammo is the de facto damage booster so run that if you have no other options. 

Edited by oldskool
  • Like 1

totally depends on the concept with me. Most of the time, I use standard ammo because I like and utilise the KB... plus it's one power pick. 

I've only used chem rounds for my dark to compliment its -to hit, and my poison corr, again for thematic
Cryo similarly for ice and slow themed toons. 
Incendiary, only once just to compare. And I've found I prefer standard rounds more.

I did have one toon that had 3 separate builds for each ammo type, with keybinds to switch ammo and build. Worked well until incarnates because the build switch would trigger long cooldowns. also one of my most expensive toons.

7 hours ago, brasilgringo said:

Honestly on my DP/MC Blaster I just run Fire Ammo and forgeddaboudit, becaue MOAR DMG am I right?  There's an argument for using different ammo on Defenders given their higher debuff values (like for Chem rounds).

Same on my DP/KIN. Don't really ever use the others. Nice concept but could do with a buff to differentiate them more and make Ice & Chem more appealing. 

Chance for Hold with Ice and -regen in chemical maybe?

On 11/29/2020 at 9:36 AM, Mack008 said:

Which ammo type should I make my default until I need to switch?

From an alt'ers point-of-view, I do try to retain the kind of ammo that I think the character would use.

The ice rounds seem to work best as a default for me as they have a chance of causing a hold. Very short, but a hold nonetheless.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.