MIDS Designer vs McAfee

krj12

I haven't had any issues up until now, but McAfee is now reporting Mids as being a virus and has quarantined it.   Anyone else running into this, and how do I get around it?

( and please don't tell me to remove McAfee, tried some of the other virus scanners with less than desirable results )

Seems odd that it did this all of a sudden....

I agree with golstat2003.  You should also be able to exempt directories from being scanned.  I'm not sure this is the best idea, though, as malware can hang out in there.  And I'm not sure if McAfee offers an immunization function, like MalWareBytes does (which I suggest people use in addition of their favorite virus scanner, and it's free).  Also, make sure you have the latest definitions - but I think McAfee does this automatically.

That being said, I need to take a step back.  Is McAfee calling the download a virus (active scanning), or the file on the hard disk a virus (passive scanning)?  The solution is different depending on what kind of scan is reporting a virus.

Please let us know what you do and if it works - it may be helpful to others that encounter the same issue.

3 hours ago, Rishidian said:

I agree with golstat2003.  You should also be able to exempt directories from being scanned.  I'm not sure this is the best idea, though, as malware can hang out in there.  And I'm not sure if McAfee offers an immunization function, like MalWareBytes does (which I suggest people use in addition of their favorite virus scanner, and it's free).  Also, make sure you have the latest definitions - but I think McAfee does this automatically.

That being said, I need to take a step back.  Is McAfee calling the download a virus (active scanning), or the file on the hard disk a virus (passive scanning)?  The solution is different depending on what kind of scan is reporting a virus.

Please let us know what you do and if it works - it may be helpful to others that encounter the same issue.

McAfee is calling the actual exe a virus, not sure what triggered the change - I've had it there for ages.

Someone mentioned that you can right click and check the system properties on the app to see if it's being blocked (and then unblock it). It was likely a definitions update that triggered it.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Hmmm...something isn't happy here.  Not sure what is triggering this error.

Perhaps there was a bad download and the file was corrupted.

Perhaps uninstalling the app again, then delete the directory it was in.

Download it again from the source into a different directory.  Have McAfee do a virus check on the file just in case.

Then see if it runs.  You may have to tweak McAfee again.

McAfee is not something I would allow on my machines. Glad you worked through it, but you shouldn't have had to. Mid's in all its incarnations doesn't touch the operating system, does nothing that should trigger an antivirus alert. (Probably a fingerprint false positive.)

I second the vote for Malwarebytes, if you are rich please buy the payware version, but I still think it should be run only on demand.

Seriously, though, McAfee is one of the more system-intrusive, problematic, resource intensive anti-virus applications. You are essentially trusting a commercial rootkit to protect you from all the other rootkits, malware, and viruses.

Good luck to you if you elect to continue using it, I hope it proves to be worth the trouble.

(I am, however, a confessed computing curmudgeon, so I hold a miniscule minority opinion.)

In any event, enjoy the game, and Bona Saturnalia, by Jove!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)