Weekly Discussion 84: Kinetic Melee

GM ColdSpark

7 hours ago, Take One said:

On the discord we talked about stances to replace Siphon Power.

I suggested Yin and Yang stances:

Yin Stance: when you take damage, your own damage is boosted.

Yang Stance: when you deal damage, your damage resistance is boosted.

Once you select Siphon Power (or whatever it will be renamed to), you are always in one of the two stances.

I don’t think the Yin Stance would go over well. It would actively work against defense based secondaries and punish people who get to softcap. If this were to be done it would have to be changed to getting attacked instead of actually taking damage (I.e doesn’t matter if the attack lands). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Take One said:

Yin Stance: when you take damage, your own damage is boosted.

Yang Stance: when you deal damage, your damage resistance is boosted.

Not terrible ideas, but as other have posted might need some work.  Yin stance could be changed to "whenever a to-hit roll is made against you" you gain a damage boost.  Like Brute's Fury.  You could describe this as not getting hit but "redirecting energy back towards the enemy," seems like it might be martial arts ish.

And Yang Stance, I like the idea of debuffing enemy damage (which is what I think Power Siphon does now).  It not only protects you, it also protects your team if they pull aggro or get hit by a cone, for example.  Powers which benefit a team are good, so I'd like to keep this as debuffs enemy damage when you score hits on the enemy, rather than switching it to your personal damage resistance.

With a little more play time under my belt, and especially after reading some of these latest ideas about stances, what about something like having KM attacks naturally have a -dam effect on enemies, that builds up stacks for you, and turn a to-be-renamed Power Siphon (with a quicker animation) into a +dam stack spender mechanic?

(Preemptive note: I'm not a numbers guy. Throwing some out for the sake of example & for smarter people to evaluate!)

(Default) Yin Stance - Your attacks strike with precision at your enemies' pressure points, weakening them. With each hit you lower their damage dealing capability (unresistible -dam, maybe -3% for 8 seconds, with the effects overlapping but not extending, so it would be fairly easy to maintain prolly a 15% -dam), and build up your own chi energy (capped at say, 10 stacks - to make it a more flexible mechanic) to be unleashed when the time is right.

(Power Siphon effect) Yang Stance - With a quick centering breath, you release your stored chi to empower your attacks. For a short period of time (20 seconds?) you trade precision for power. Your attacks no longer weaken your enemies (it would not be possible to gain chi stacks while under this effect), but instead your damage and chance to hit are both increased. For each chi stack expended, you gain an additional to-hit and damage bonus (off the top of my head thinking the base numbers are 50% of a Build Up, with each stack adding 6-7%; so at 9 or 10 stacks the numbers work out to a little more than a full Build Up, which feels like a fair trade for having to work for it).

Needs work, but maybe something to consider? And if you wanted to "de-mysticize" it, turn "chi" into "potential" and renamed the stances to Potential and Kinetic.

Edited by Cutter
words

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

On 1/14/2021 at 6:35 PM, RCU7115 said:

I would love for Power Siphon to be changed to Follow Up. 

I like the idea of turning power siphon into a follow up/blinding feint type power more than the stance suggestion. 

I also don’t see a problem with power siphon just automatically putting you at max stacks for the duration. Sure it’s a big buff, but we have soul drain so I don’t see it being out of line. 

• Like 1

Maybe add some things from Kinetics like +recharge/movement/damage. Maybe make power siphon similar to Soul Drain but adds +recharge and damage and a small movement buff.

Or the animations get faster as you attack.

Some reason I think of Sonic the Hedgehog when I think about KM 🤭 ...  Rolls into a group knocking them down and gets the Build up buff and gold coins everywhere haha.

Edited by Gobbledegook

5 hours ago, Gobbledegook said:

Maybe add some things from Kinetics like +recharge/movement/damage.

Well, I mean if you want to make the set more popular you just can just replace Power Siphon with Fulcrum Shift, but that just means your teammates will create corpses before you can even start one of the long animations. You'd have better damage while solo, and you won't be wasting endurance on Concentrated Strike on teams! 😋

11 hours ago, Saikochoro said:

I also don’t see a problem with power siphon just automatically putting you at max stacks for the duration. Sure it’s a big buff, but we have soul drain so I don’t see it being out of line.

While I agree, I don’t believe the Captain would ever give us anything like this.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward