[How2] Basic Installation Guide [MacOS - Apple M1]

WanderingAries

11 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

I'm assuming you have the output device set correctly in system preferences right? I don't know enough of how the launcher works with the OS beyond that.

Yeah, everything works fine outside of CoH...

I am new to using Apple devices. So it could be something basic that I'm missing.

I would go ahead and start a thread for help. That way if someone else has the issue later, then they'll have something to reference.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

7 hours ago, Flat Line said:

I've got CoH running on my M1 MacBook Air!

I got it running by following this guide (thank you!)

One issue though: The audio seems to be locked to my MacBook speakers. I can't get Bluetooth AirPods or the standard audio jack to work with headphones...

Anyone else have this issue or a possible fix?

Note that CoH is unable to switch audio device once it has been started. So, in order for it to work with my Bluetooth headset, I have to first plug in the headset, make sure it works, *then* I start CoH entirely from scratch. And if the headset for some reason loses connection, e.g I bring it with me too far from my computer or Discord messes with my audio settings, I have to log off entirely and restart CoH to get the audio to work again. 

This is an old issue, I remember complaining about it back on live.

Edited by Tuft
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2022 at 4:11 AM, Tuft said:

Note that CoH is unable to switch audio device once it has been started. So, in order for it to work with my Bluetooth headset, I have to first plug in the headset, make sure it works, *then* I start CoH entirely from scratch. And if the headset for some reason loses connection, e.g I bring it with me too far from my computer or Discord messes with my audio settings, I have to log off entirely and restart CoH to get the audio to work again. 

This is an old issue, I remember complaining about it back on live.

You nailed it, this was it!

As soon as I relaunched with my headphones plugged in, there was no problem.

Thank you!

• 1 month later

Just popping in to say thanks to the CoH community - looks like I can run CoH on a base model M1 without a discrete or branded GPU. Excellent.

2015-era Mac Pro is having severe battery issues and work were considering whether it needed refitting or getting a new unit.

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

One odd thing here - as I've mentioned above, transferring from 2015 Mac Pro running Big Sur to 2021/2022 M1 running Monterey.

1. I ran the Migration Assistant to transfer all of my old files to the new Mac.
    (Open your Launchpad, start typing Migration into the Search box, and run it.
    Stick new Mac next to old Mac, make sure they're on the same WiFi network, match the passcodes, and leave them to do their thang for about 90 minutes).
  2. Open up new Mac. Found the COH Launcher icon. Just on the off chance, ran it, didn't work.
  3. Installed Rosetta as per page 1. (Launchpad > Terminal > softwareupdate --install-rosetta )
  4. Ran COH Launcher again. And lo, with a FREEM! and blasting light, COH lives again!

...or is it a Nemesis Plot?
Is it going to unleash terrible tentacled wossnames from dimensions hoomans should not wot of - or worse, fry my new work Mac - if I just run the like for like copy instead of a clean install?

Am I just paranoid?

Cheers

Em

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

5 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

...or is it a Nemesis Plot?
Is it going to unleash terrible tentacled wossnames from dimensions hoomans should not wot of - or worse, fry my new work Mac - if I just run the like for like copy instead of a clean install?

Am I just paranoid?

I mean, compatibility wise, so long as you've got Rosetta activated and you're on the same platform, then I don't see issues. Even then, with the way this is built (the little I know of it), I don't think the platform matters Too much, but since all it wanted was Rosetta active for the first test, I don't see anything short of a MacOS update snafu causing you issues. Certainly nothing about CoX is gonna stress that machine out much at all. Well, I wouldn't try running 8 instances, but heh.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Thanks. I don't know enough about the M1 onboard GPU to know how it's going to behave under load, though it can apparently hold its own against mid-range Radeons and GeForces with far less power usage.