"I can't afford enhancements." A simple guide for making money at lower levels.

Zolgar

...snip...

Getting buffs from your base can help too (particularly Invisibility, Recovery and Knockback Protection).

...snip...

What is this buff station you speak of?

Under crafting there are stations, I dont recall what they're called off the top, that you can use salvage to make temporary buffs that provide small bonuses to resists, damage, accuracy, etc.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

I hate crafting. I also hate playing the auction house. So, for a person like me, my take-away from this is that the most straightforward way to make decent influence is to earn merits (in whatever fashion), use those to buy enhancement boosters/converters (which is better?) from the merit vendor, then sell those on the AH, potentially for millions of inf. Does that sound about right?

As far as enhancements go, my plan would be to use the influence to buy level 25 IOs (which are roughly 95% as effective as an even level SO) and not worry about enhancements again until level 50. I’m guessing a few million inf should be enough to fill up on lvl 25 IOs at level 22, then it would just be a matter of buying more to fill new slots while leveling.

Does that sound both both simple and effective?

I hate crafting. I also hate playing the auction house. So, for a person like me, my take-away from this is that the most straightforward way to make decent influence is to earn merits (in whatever fashion), use those to buy enhancement boosters/converters (which is better?) from the merit vendor, then sell those on the AH, potentially for millions of inf. Does that sound about right?

As far as enhancements go, my plan would be to use the influence to buy level 25 IOs (which are roughly 95% as effective as an even level SO) and not worry about enhancements again until level 50. I’m guessing a few million inf should be enough to fill up on lvl 25 IOs at level 22, then it would just be a matter of buying more to fill new slots while leveling.

Does that sound both both simple and effective?

This should work for you, make sure you take the time to see which will offer you the most influence per merit spent.

On Everlasting right now:

Converters 100-150k each

Unslotters 100-150k each

Boosters 1.3-1.5m each

catalysts 3-3.5m each

Converters are 1 merit for 3.

Unslotters are 1 merit for 2.

Boosters are 5 merits for 1.

Catalysts are 20 merits for 1.

So let's break it down at 20 merits:

20 merits will net us 60 converters, which will get us 6-9 million. If we average to 7.5 million that is 375k per merit.

20 merits will net us 40 unslotters, which will get us 4-6 million. If we average to 5 mil, that is 250k per merit.

20 merits will net us 4 boosters, which will get us 5.2-6 million. If we assume you go market high, that is 300k per merit.

20 merits will net us 1 catalyst, which will get us 3-3.5 million. I don't even feel like doing the math, but it's going to be less than any others.

While the market does fluctuate a lot, it seems to me that converters are almost always the best bang for your buck, at least on Everylasting.

Now, as for how much it will cost you to buy 25 basic IOs..

Market average right now on Everlasting seems about 50,000 per level 25 basic IO. So, if you wanted to use them and all the way up to 50, you would be spending around 5 mil total.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

So let's break it down at 20 merits:

20 merits will net us 60 converters, which will get us 6-9 million. If we average to 7.5 million that is 375k per merit.

20 merits will net us 40 unslotters, which will get us 4-6 million. If we average to 5 mil, that is 250k per merit.

20 merits will net us 4 boosters, which will get us 5.2-6 million. If we assume you go market high, that is 300k per merit.

20 merits will net us 1 catalyst, which will get us 3-3.5 million. I don't even feel like doing the math, but it's going to be less than any others.

You forgot to subtract the 10% commission to the AH.  I'm averaging a net of about 324k/merit on Converters, Unslotters and Boosters, but the latter two take longer to sell (overnight, usually) at my price.  Simply doing badge Task/Strike Forces should pay for common IOs from 22 on (using 25-40 level ones as you can).

Yeah, but you do have to get there with one character first. :)

I can't emphasise enough how amazing it is to have a L50 to bankroll all my other toons enhancements.

I got there by making a Fire/Kin Controller (always popular) and teaming my way to 50. Don't even CONSIDER levelling alone.

Once you are 50, it rains inf. It costs less than 2m inf to fully trick out a L22 IO build with L25 IO enhancements. Those will be good enough until you get high level.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

• 4 years later
41 minutes ago, JakStrong said:

Thx for this. I hope this guide will still work in 2024 because I want to earn more and more money during my gaming experience.

I'd say the guide is still valid. The inf-numbers quoted in the guide might be lower (or higher) now I can't say off the top of my head. But the ideas are still sound I guess.

//Jack

Edited by Jack Power
Spelling

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well I have others.”

― Groucho Marx

• 2 weeks later
On 5/29/2019 at 9:14 PM, Robotech_Master said:

(Another trick I've heard involves getting and using Inner Inspiration, selling the mediums to vendors, using the funds from the sales to list the larges on the market. But this trick works faster!)

Inner inspiration is amazing for early inf if you're lucky and remember to keep using it. 

Larges vary wildly in price, for example;

• Righteous Rage might go for 100,000 just before prime time on a Sunday, but drop to 11,.000 in the mid-mornings.
  • Another popular one is Purple Shield insp (forgot the name).
  • and finally Escape (the Resist effects).
  • Large Heals I sell for 20k-23k.
  • Large Blues are usually ~10K, occasionally double or triple that.
  • Yellows are amazing, but the farmers who buy these things in bulk don't seem to agree with me 🙂 (AKA they play farms without enemies that make you blind).
  • Wakies are generally quite cheapo because nobody expects to die, Mr Bond.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

On 5/29/2019 at 10:07 AM, Zolgar said:

For those wondering about IOs vs. SOs, I highly recommend this guide:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,3042.0.html

I don't want to necro that thread, so I'll ask here; I don't understand why he phrases using SOs as "Typical cost to SO a character again at level X" while for IOs it's "Typical cost to add IOs to a character at level X".  The answer is probably obvious if you understand IOs, but I really don't.  I crafting was added after I'd largely stopped playing.

EDIT:  Aw nuts, this thread is also 5 years old.  x_x

Edited by PhotriusPyrelus

2 hours ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

I don't want to necro that thread, so I'll ask here; I don't understand why he phrases using SOs as "Typical cost to SO a character again at level X" while for IOs it's "Typical cost to add IOs to a character at level X".  The answer is probably obvious if you understand IOs, but I really don't.  I crafting was added after I'd largely stopped playing.

EDIT:  Aw nuts, this thread is also 5 years old.  x_x

You out-level SOs as you level, forcing you to buy and combine every 4 levels. That gets pretty expensive in terms of both inf and time sink. 

Once you slot an IO, it continues to provide its effectiveness no matter what level you are. A 25 IO provides the same benefit to a level 50 as it does a level 25. Yes, a level 25 IO has a smaller bonus than a level 25 SO, but the amount is not noticeable in actual gameplay. 

So, you can slot everything at 22.  You never change them again until you are ready to start your final build, saving you a ton of inf.  Around level 35 you might consider upgrading some of the slots to 35s in critical powers, that's the break even point between IO and SO bonus. 

Freedom toons:

Illuminata

Phoebros

Mim

Ogrebane

1 hour ago, Snakebit said:

You out-level SOs as you level, forcing you to buy and combine every 4 levels. That gets pretty expensive in terms of both inf and time sink. 

Once you slot an IO, it continues to provide its effectiveness no matter what level you are. A 25 IO provides the same benefit to a level 50 as it does a level 25. Yes, a level 25 IO has a smaller bonus than a level 25 SO, but the amount is not noticeable in actual gameplay. 

So, you can slot everything at 22.  You never change them again until you are ready to start your final build, saving you a ton of inf.  Around level 35 you might consider upgrading some of the slots to 35s in critical powers, that's the break even point between IO and SO bonus. 

I knew that, but I couldn't put it together.  x_x  Thanks.  It's clear now.