Randomizing Paper/Radio Missions?

I never, NEVER, choose Circle of Thorns, Banished Pantheon, or really any magical adversaries when I'm running paper or radio missions.  It's not because I am scared of Agony Mages, although they do suck.  It's because I can't stand cave maps, so by choosing NOT CoT I end up with a lot of vanilla Council missions, which are almost always indoors.

Just an idea, but would it be possible to randomize this so that certain enemy types aren't slotted to certain maps?  I realize I'm shooting myself in the foot here, but I'd risk getting Council cave missions in exchange for CoT warehouse missions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

I'm very down for removing cramped layer cake caves and adding more map variety to newspaper missions.

Global Handle: @Future Force Warrior

Level 50s: Operative Grantz (Pure Bane/Mace Mastery), Dr. Eisenfield (Gravity/Time/Mu), Air Liquide (Ice/Kin/Soul), Vantablack Stare (Illusion/Traps/Ice), Medic 2004 (Empathy/Energy/Soul)

All on Everlasting

Also, specifically about Talos missions (maybe PI too):  choose a Council mission, it's right there in town.  Choose a CoT mission?  Oh guess what, you have to go 2 miles north and take a left at Albuquerque.  It's SO ANNOYING!

• Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

I don't mind those cave maps aren't really all that bad if:

1. You're anywhere above like 16th level
  2. You stick together (I know people hate slowing down the steamroller though)
  3. You have a jetpack, flight or jump travel power (see #1)

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

8 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I don't mind those cave maps aren't really all that bad if:

1. You're anywhere above like 16th level
  2. You stick together (I know people hate slowing down the steamroller though)
  3. You have a jetpack, flight or jump travel power (see #1)

No.  They are an abomination. 

Fill them all with quick-dry cement, drill holes in the cement and place explosive charges in them, then blast them into dust.  😁

I'll give you your #2, though.  For gods sake, I wish groups would designate a leader (a good one, who pays attention to whether or not the team is getting lost in the tunnels) and then follow that leader, instead of running around like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off.  :classic_dry:

• Haha 2

On 3/5/2021 at 4:40 AM, Black Zot said:

I'm fine with caves until we hit the layer cake room.  THAT needs to disappear permanently.

I finally encountered a cave "room" that's even worse. The blue cave maps (as in the Map you access by typing "M") for some reason don't differentiate vertical levels the way building maps do, so I guess the blue caves are all considered to be on the same vertical plane, regardless of what they actually do. So there's this "room" that is actually two rooms, one above the other, and the route between them is a big sweeping, curving tunnel. It's all fine and dandy running down into the lower room, but good luck if you find that you need to go back the way you came. The game map just shows your character icon running around in one big room, and it's next to impossible trying to find the route back up because the map is no help at all.

On 3/5/2021 at 8:13 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

Also, specifically about Talos missions (maybe PI too):  choose a Council mission, it's right there in town.  Choose a CoT mission?  Oh guess what, you have to go 2 miles north and take a left at Albuquerque.  It's SO ANNOYING!

That's exactly why I don't do Tips missions in Talos. It's like, seriously, every single mission sends me to those northern islands or to the far borders of the map. Nothing in the major central section of the big island.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 10:53 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

I never, NEVER, choose Circle of Thorns, Banished Pantheon, or really any magical adversaries when I'm running paper or radio missions.  It's not because I am scared of Agony Mages, although they do suck.  It's because I can't stand cave maps, so by choosing NOT CoT I end up with a lot of vanilla Council missions, which are almost always indoors.

Just an idea, but would it be possible to randomize this so that certain enemy types aren't slotted to certain maps?  I realize I'm shooting myself in the foot here, but I'd risk getting Council cave missions in exchange for CoT warehouse missions.

Once upon a time, I remember someone suggesting a "Portal Corp" version of radio missions, where you run into thwart [random dimensional disaster], and you don't know the faction until you show up.

I know it's not strictly what you're after, but things like this would be a fun way to play -- especially if they had some enhanced rewards.  It would also justify all manner of under-used tilesets, such as the completely awesome and unused Kallisti Wharf office variant.

• Like 3

I've always wanted enemy groups on radio missions to be organized more like the enemies on the ITF. Right now they're pretty evenly randomized and there's not a whole lot of variation, especially as the number of enemies per group goes up.

Something like a beat em up game in a RPG. Again I think the ITF does this especially well and provides "moments" where you face very easy enemies, all boss spawns, and so on.

Here's a video showing Streets of Rage 4's stage one. It's pretty easy but you can see how the developers used some fairly simple enemies to create "moments" the player must react to, like when the Galcia's charge at the players with knives or each time a shirtless enemy appears carrying a lead pipe.