Incentive to Promote Working as a Team

Just an idea - In addition to the existing xp bonus for teaming, add an incentive to promote staying grouped near the team leader. For example, how about adding a xp/infl bonus of 0.625%/person within 50 feet of the team leader. That way if a team of 8 stayed within 50 feet of the team leader, each member of the team would receive a 5% bonus to xp/infl.

I suppose  you could add other types of incentives as well. But the general idea would be working together as a team.

I think I know the problem the OP is trying to solve. I've seen it so many times. 

Team leader is IO'd to the gills, and armed additionally with a lot of experience running a given trial, tf or story arc/mission. 

A couple other teammates have similar experience and proficient builds. 

One or two teammates might have a celerity in stealth, but they don't have super speed, and their stealth is insufficient to get past the groups of mobs that are in the way. They are faced with three options, none of which are enjoyable to them. 
1. Attempt to fight through
2. Sit at the door
3. Quit the team and look for something else to do. 

The dilemma is simple to identify. For whatever reason, some players think a character is better enjoyed by them if it "fits" a theme they have in mind. They take flight, which currently gives vertical, but no real other advantage. They like hover, for reasons some of us can understand, but they don't take the invis pool, and for other reasons, they simply cannot stealth. 
A number of players could take the typical combo of cj/ss with celerity in stealth, but for reasons of their own, they think they shouldn't have to. 

There's a true disconnect between these two players, regardless of how well they may get along outside of these tfs/missions done in a speed fashion. The disconnect is caused in some cases by a lack of knowledge, a lack of influence, or a lack of desire to play in the speedy style, or a combination of all three. 

The thing the OP is not thinking about is the players who speed through  - they don't need the paltry xp boost. They're playing for the adrenaline, I think, the challenge and joy of steamrolling through everything in their path with little thought to their characters health or endurance. They may want the merits, but most are wealthy enough to not slow their game down for a paltry influence gain. 

Just my opinion of course, I may have misunderstood completely what the OP was trying to achieve. The only solution I have would be for the slower/kill all type folks and the speed type folks to appropriately identify themselves as such - the same way we might flag ourselves as helper/non-helper. And for those that enjoy both, flag as such. 

• Like 2

Personally I like splitting up on streamlined things like ITF’s because it allows me to stretch my legs and flex my powers a little more. If I stick with the group on the first mission of a speed ITF, I use a few powers before everything is dead. If I run straight to the far back room, I get to really play a good bit. IOW: I run ahead to get an extra slice of the action.

Also a lot of people I play with are clearly more motivated by merits etc. than xp, so +1 to that being immaterial to a lot of people.

Edited by arcane
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Ukase said:

The only solution I have would be for the slower/kill all type folks and the speed type folks to appropriately identify themselves as such - the same way we might flag ourselves as helper/non-helper. And for those that enjoy both, flag as such. 

100%.  I know lots of people hate typing extra characters, and it's all-too-human to project "well of course this is the right way to play? why would you do it any other way?" expectations onto the rest.  But just putting in a few extra characters in the LFG recruitment text can avoid a lot of this.

I am a Map-Clearing-Fool. I do not like leaving a single enemy standing. I also do not play for Max Efficient Rewards. 

So I ignore any any LFM that includes the words "speed", "speedy" or "fast".

When I recruit others, I always include the phrase "kill all", and either "+2 w/bosses" or "+3 w/bosses".  

And if I'm planning to do arcs in uncommon zones, like "First Ward arcs" or "Night Ward Arcs", I type that too.

Or if I'm planning to do arcs vs unpopular mobs I say that too.  "World Wide Red! Sappers GALORE!  (but you can rack up some Zeus)"

Really doesn't take much extra time to type. 

Really helps people pre-filter / know what they're getting into. 

• Like 2

When I lead TFs, I call them "medium speed."  I'm not trying to set a record, but I do expect to use transports and stealth missions where possible.  However, I also tell the gang to feel free to follow me or pretend its a steamroll.  So long as 3 or more participate in the steamroll it seems to work fine.  It still goes very fast but there's a lot more XP gain and everyone feels like they are contributing.

I also think that if you like to play a certain way, you should play your way and seek like minded individuals to play with. 

IfYouBuildIt.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JAMMan0000 said:

Just an idea - In addition to the existing xp bonus for teaming, add an incentive to promote staying grouped near the team leader. For example, how about adding a xp/infl bonus of 0.625%/person within 50 feet of the team leader. That way if a team of 8 stayed within 50 feet of the team leader, each member of the team would receive a 5% bonus to xp/infl.

I suppose  you could add other types of incentives as well. But the general idea would be working together as a team.

I didn't like the way the Sidekick system used to work.  I wouldn't like this either, sorry.