Brute or Scrapper?

ceto555

Both are great. You can freely select either (and more appropriately, you can choose to play both with your many available character slots), with a couple of minor points to consider:

Sometimes, when an appropriate Tanker isn't available, teams and leagues in World Events, Task Forces and Trials will expect a Brute to be able to tank, manage more complex aggro and survive difficult encounters; this is rarely to never expected of a Scrapper.  If you don't want any team responsibility other than to deal damage, pick the Scrapper, if you'd rather sometimes have more complex responsibilities, pick the Brute.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Apparition said:

I always go Brute instead of Scrapper (better personal aggro management, and red side bias), and now just a put a comment in the character description that I play Brutes as pure damage dealers. :classic_tongue:

no reason to in this case as bio has two taunts as a scrapper more then enough to tank for squishies the problem soon becomes AV's like recluse and such wee bit squishy for that unless you got some awesome support making it possible not easy just possible

When faced with decisions like this, I often make both. To me, it's not so much how they play at level 50+, but how much fun are they getting to 50+? 

A lot will depend on your playstyle. A lot of the brute's claim to fame is the fury bar.  But, if you often stealth missions just in pursuit of story arc completion bonuses, then your fury bar rarely sees much action. Generally, by the time it builds up, the fight is over. 

But - the brute has higher Max HP, higher damage cap, a taunt aura. A scrapper just has the random critical. And candidly, in my experience, even though I love seeing double damage, it's just not enough for the trade off to suit me. But it does suit my playstyle more. So, I make both. And then I try to get a feel for which one is more fun. 

Then I'll delete the other one after I take out the enhancements. So far, the brute has won 10-4 over the scrapper. The dual blade, Katana, broadsword and fire ...to me are better on the scrapper. But opinions will vary. 

There's a lot to be said for Brutes. 

But if I'm rolling up a character to use when I have absolutely no desire to EVER be asked to tank for a group?  I roll Scrapper.

If I'm in a mood where I wouldn't mind pulling some tanking duties on the character? I'll roll Brute.

(not saying Scrappers are incapable of tanking in a pinch; but if you're a brute, at least half of teams will expect it of you as a matter of course.  Scrappers, they expect to be frenzied scrapperlockers :))

Edited by MTeague

2 hours ago, DarknessEternal said:

Until everything runs away and you spend half the mission just chasing them.

See, why comment when you’ve CLEARLY never played a BIO scrapper. The taunt aura on it is strong. Never had anything run from me on it. 

Even if things did run. It does that much damage and knockdown that it wouldn’t even matter. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/29/2021 at 8:24 AM, DarknessEternal said:

Half of the pack of mobs run away as soon as you do one attack as a Scrapper.  Nothing runs from Brutes because of taunt.

Always pick Brute.

On 4/30/2021 at 11:28 PM, DarknessEternal said:

Until everything runs away and you spend half the mission just chasing them.

Bio, Energy, Invuln, Radiation, Shield, and Willpower all have taunt auras.  Enemies don't run when next to these scrapper powersets.

Congratulations, you can now enjoy scrappers.

• Like 2