"The Buddy" Troller - First time Controller advice needed

Naturallymorbid

3 hours ago, Naturallymorbid said:

So im just jumping into controllers and i wanted to make a "Buddy" troller while not great at soloing can provide a lot of utility and is a bit more easier to place. Right now Ice/Time to me seems fun, a bit end heavy, but fun.

But im open to suggestion

Gravity/Kinetic would be my take on that. Grab the sorcery pool for Spirit Ward and Enflame.

Your low level experience prior to 32 will be Speed Boosting everyone and Spirit Ward&Enflaming the tank. At the low levels your SB and the healing will be extra buddy and everyone will love you.

By level 30 try to have grabbed Teleport Target (and make a macro so it auto targets your Singularity pet).  By level 32 you get Singularity and you change your gameplay to instead stop using Spirit Ward on a tank (since by level 32 they shouldn't need it anymore anyway) and place both it and Enflame on Singularity. Now your opening salvo is to run just behind the tank, use teleport macro, drop Singularity on top of the tank (which both makes mobs all start flopping like mad thus negating their damage and also start pulling all mobs closer). The need to heal will be lower by now but you can still do this when needed. You can repeat this teleporting combo in less than 10 seconds so it's up at every spawn. Just be prepared o slowly whittle mobs if you're trying it solo because you got separated from the team.

38 and above you add dropping Fulcrum Shift after Singularity has been teleported in to boost everyone's damage in melee range.

The thing is, and I know I am in the wrong sub forum to say this, but it's mostly not needed and just faffing around. CCing mobs has little value and killing them works better so a Corruptor and dropping actual AoE works better in the long run than to try playing with CCing and dropping Singularity on mobs when the whole spawn has a tendency to be vaporized in seconds once combat starts. You can actually kill solo spawns with a Fire or Water or whatever Corruptor and still provide the Kinetic buddy buffs.

That said the magnetic pull Singularity does pulling all mobs close into a clumped ball does have some value and other than the lack of AoE Gravity does decent ST damage which can be boosted with damage procs.

Controls are still useful up until people start getting silly at 40+. Even then you have an excellent "Here's more fuel for the fire" with Wormhole. Stick a KB2KD IO in there and you can spend your time lobbing a 2nd spawn on top of the tank, then Fulc Shifting them. 

And the single target holds and immobs are still useful vs bosses. Especially if you're lacking a taunty tank-type. But post 40ish 3/8s of any team are pretty much overkill. 

As a beginner, if you want to stick with Ice Control you could do Ice/Electric Affinity and probably have an easier time because it provides mezz protection to keep Arctic Air from detoggling and an early endurance management tool. Your damage will be not great, but at least you can take the Earth APP for Seismic Smash and Fissure since you'll be up close with enemies.

IMO if you are new to control archetypes and want to go a support route, Dark Control is one of the better ones. Gravity Control is a good direction (on a Controller) if you want to be more independent and do some soloing.

Just now, 5099y_74c05 said:

Sorcery has been a go to for me on builds that need additional heal support or DPS or self protection. I wish the other Origin pools were as dialed in as Sorcery; so far they've been "meh" in comparison.

Well initially it was just going to be a "We're changing RoP" and that was that but the revamp really improved the other powers. 

So hopefully Experimentation and Force of Will will also get a pass on their non-tier 5 powers too. 

I would think Ice/Time should work pretty well.  You will have end issues with running multiple toggles early on, but you can always turn Arctic Air on and off at need while you get slotted up.  The extra hold/holds in time should help with Ice's lack of an AOE hard control.  I don't know that I would take it as a first controller, but I can definitely see good synergy.  I wouldn't get too focused on DPS unless you intend to solo.  You can help enough with just P2W attacks in a group.  You will want your Ice Slick up every fight, it will be your major control in addition to Time's debuff aura and slow/hold aoe.  AA can also help, though it will draw a LOT of agro.  I tend to hold my AOE hold for emergencies, because if you've already used it, you really have nothing available to deal with adds.

Good luck, and enjoy 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

so, working on the fact you say you want to "Buddy" up with someone, but you've not said a great deal about your buddy(s) I'm guessing you're thinking that your primary role is support.

I'd therefore suggest Earth/Thermal - easy to play, the controls are very solid (no pun intended) and both Earth & Thermal have good debuffs while Thermal gives your colleagues some great shielding. You can also solo, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that until you're used to running a controller, it can be slow.

But at higher level Melt Armor is a great debuff and if you work on regen it can be active a great deal of the time (I think from memory about 50 seconds every minute depending how you slot) so you can keep AVs and EBs on the back foot through long fights.

• Like 3

A friend asked me if I knew any Motown puns. I told him I know two or three, maybe four, tops!