Rad / Bio Build Help and Information Request

Dracomicon

I have decided to build my first brute and I am looking to play sets that I have never played before, so I have chosen Rad melee and Bio armor. I know very little about these sets and come from playing a main of Inv / Fire tank for a very long time. I want to know if anyone has a breakdown of the powers and their best slotting individually? I cannot afford anything above 10mil per IO so my builds tend to be tier 2 non-purple builds. I am looking for a brute that plays well when exemplared but also can farm for some cash as I am often quite poor. Here is what I understand about each power, please correct me if I am wrong and at the bottom is my current attempt at a possible build that can be done while leveling and still be good at 50.

--UPDATED--

Here is an update of my understanding of this build from all the help that I have received, that way those that find themselves here through search will see the latest breakdown of what I have learned.

Radiation Melee

This is a great melee set with -def a nice extra effect depending on the power and a damage aura that hits hard.

Contaminated Strike - Seems like a standard quick punch with a small -def and extra damage when contaminated. A skippable power, and for the lower levels when you need an extra attack use the origin and P2W powers for this.

Radioactive Smash - First pick for me, a stronger slower punch with an occasional splash damage component when contaminated. This seems like a good place for  three of the Bute's Fury IO's to get double the melee defense bonus. Also good to put the FF +rec proc.

Proton Sweep - This is a DoT cone. I hate cones but as long as you hit two targets it a good attack especially in the lower levels. I will often get hasten to speed up my single smash attack and still use P2W attacks. Slotting a AH -res proc here then work those bonuses.

Fusion - Contaminate is 100% during its duration, so a great way to ensure extra damage and also to setup for Radiation Siphon if you need the heal. The Gaussian Build up proc is all that is needed.

Radiation Siphon - Bigger punch and part of my single target damage chain. The heal is noticeable but can't be counted on. Note that anytime you can slot a Theft of Essence proc you should do so. So I went with 5 Mako and Theft of Essence +End proc for the S/L resist. If you have the cash use 5 Blistering Cold (up to 100 million then make superior with catalysts at 50 for more cash or drops when you get them).

Taunt - Totally depends on your playstyle. I found that the Irradiated Ground patch is a little small and Taunt will gather up those ranged attackers with its -range. Good for teams to help out the squishies particularly on PUGs.

Irradiated Ground - PBAoE toggle that will slowly damage critters. This is a must have! It significantly increases the proc rate due how the patch drops. Put as many procs as you can. You should have at least Achilles Heel -res. I found it is nice to have a Acc/Damage/End IO in here as well. I found in early levels having Fury of the Gladiator -res in here really helps the mobs melt but at later levels replacing it with Overwhelming Force Knockdown proc adds more defense and you can put the Gladiator proc into DNA Siphon. That leaves 3 damage procs which is still plenty.

Devastating Blow - Final punch with mag 3 stun, with very nice looking animation but a little slow. This is a great place for the Unrelenting Fury set.

Atom Smasher - PBAoE blast with mag 2 stun that hits for very noticeable damage. This is a must have power. Placing the Achilles Heel -res proc here is nice and then Armageddon fits well here if you can afford it. I am not so wealthy and placed 2 Obliterations, 3 Multi-Strike and the AH -res proc for the S/L resists and fraken-slotting. 

Bio Armor

This is a truly hybrid set that has a lot of defensive potential with regen, heals, resists, and defense plus a damage aura. It is an active set that does require a bit of attention, but well worth the effort. The main downside is that all the powers are good enough that you should take them all.

Hardened Carapace - S/L/T resistance with Stun and Sleep protection. This is a must power. Unbreakable Guard 4 slots for the endurance discount and the Melee defense bonus.

Inexhaustible - This is like having health and Stamina rolled into one power, a great power. I slotted this like I slot Stamina with Perf. Shif. proc and end mod. You can only slot for Per. Shif. proc and save a slot in your end game build but I really liked having the extra slot while leveling.

Environmental Modification - This is your status toggle for Holds, Knock, Immob., plus some def for E/N/F/C/P. A must have power. You can get by with just the LotG global, but I like placing an additional slot here for LotG defense since it boosts my defense that lacks a little since those big bonuses are found in the Purple expensive IOs. I also placed the Defense uniques here as well instead of in Combat Jumping. 

Adaptation - This is great power that gives adaptability to how you play. Each mode does make a noticeable difference, if your end is low the endurance toggle will help a lot, if you are getting pounded then defensive toggle will turn it into a manageable situation, and the offensive toggle does add some crunch to your attacks. A great default setting is Offensive especially in the lower levels, endurance when needed, and later levels depending on your slotting you will find defensive a more comfortable stance until you slot up your defenses. Since my build is cheaper and relies more on resists, I tend to stay more in defensive mode as my default after level 40.

Ablative Carapace - A good heal with a bit of absorb to help keep you standing. I use this as my first delay when in over my head or heading towards a big alpha. Six slotting preventative medicine here seems like the best slotting. You can skimp on slots here and slot for Heal/Recharge/Endurance in that order with Preventative Medicine at least 2 slots for the S/L resist bonus.

Evolving Armor - A Taunt aura toggle that gives -res to critters and some resistance. When defense adaptation is toggled you get a defense boost per enemy nearby and it makes a difference. Unbreakable Guard 4 slots for the endurance discount and the Melee defense bonus.

DNA Siphon - A click PBAoE that heals, gives endurance, and does a little damage. A great place for procs. I found that for a more consistent panic button to fill up your health slotting for heal helps as well as accuracy. In latter levels and high recharge builds this can be a good damage power in your rotation. Theft of Essence proc is a must. I slotted for heal and a S/L bonus, plus the Gladiator of Fury -res proc to soften up the mobs. (Thanks Yomo Kimyata, changed my mind on this one.) What is left takes damage procs.

Genetic Contamination - A damage aura that has the nice effect of causing debris to spin around you. I like standing under trees with falling leaves and watching them circle around me. Slot this with the final 3 Bute's Fury IO's to get double the melee defense bonus and then 2 Obliterations for the S/L bonus.

Parasitic Aura - A fantastic give me some breathing room power, that keeps you going. I did find that if I clicked this too late it did not save me, but clicked proactively before you are blinking red and you can withstand a lot. Slotting Theft of Essence proc is a must, plus at least 2 Preventitive Medicines. A place to work those bonuses.

Power Pools

These are common pools that all ATs have access to, that help round out a build and give travel powers to all. Probably the most commonly chosen pools are: Speed, Leadership, Fighting, Leaping, and Flight. The best way to learn about these pools is to try them out and see what you like. I will only cover the pools I choose, but there are many good options depending on your playstyle.

Fighting - This pool helps shore up your resist and defense with Tough and Weave, and I am told that Cross Punch is not a bad attack if you have Boxing and Kick. In my case, Tough is what I really wanted to bump up my S/L resist to the cap. Weave is also good in getting me ever closer to 45% cap as well.

Leadership - This is a great teaming pool that if everyone takes on your team the team bonuses are absurd. Maneuvers gives everyone 3% defense in a 60' radius, and was a nice to have in my build to up my own defense at bit closer to the cap. I just didn't have anymore power choices to spare.

Leaping - This gives combat jumping for yet more defense and access to a fun travel power Super jump. Acrobatics is a bit expensive for squishies to get hold and knockback protection. Spring attack is a fun ranged AoE that is a bit weak but ok.

Speed - The closest thing we have to a must have is Hasten, shouldn't be needed but very helpful in being able to use that favorite power more often. I use it to help bring up Atom Smasher, and DNA Siphon as often as possible. Super Speed with a stealth IO gives full invisibility, Burnout is an interesting power that can be fantastic when used correctly (two gang wars at once), and Whirlwind is a decent control power with a KB to KD IO if you have the end to run it.

Epic Pools

I am still learning about the differences here, but the two most popular to show up in builds is Mu and Pyre. Note that Brute ranged attacks have a low AT modifier so it feels weak hitting with the ranged AoE after destroying with Atom smasher. The Villain pool pets I tend to skip since they die with the mobs I jump into.

Mu - You get a ranged AoE for only two power picks with Ball Lightning, and Elec. Fences that is a good group Immob. to keep mobs in your Irradiated Ground, but the radius is small. Fences and Ball Lightning are fillers while waiting for Atom Smasher. Save a power pick to get the ranged AoE but need more slots to use fences effectively.

Pyre - This has a good hold in Char, Melt Armor shines as it really helps for 40 seconds your next attacks hit hard especially with a Achilles Heel proc here, Fire Ball does ok ranged AoE damage. You can save slots here as you only need to slot up Fire Ball but 3 power picks to get it.

Artic - A hold, a Blast, then a good ranged AoE. Pyre seems to shine here because of Melt Armor which really softens up the enemies.

Earth - An immob. vs AoE sleep, Quick Sand for the slow and then a ranged AoE. Not sure about this one, I like the slow but my character already is quite the end hog.

Energy - A power pick for an accolade bonus or lots of end use for accuracy, Superman eye attack, more regen and recovery to pay for the accuracy power, then a cone. I can see Focused Accuracy as a good pick if you hate missing on higher level mobs.

Leviathan - Too many cones for me to consider.

Mace - Kind of like Mu but with knockback and a slightly larger radius for the Immob. but no damage.

Soul - Cone Immob., Anchor -Dmg -ToHit, AoE that trades damage for -ACC. There are some builds that use Gloom in their attack rotation but this doesn't seem to fit in with my build or preferences.

Incarnate Powers

Good advice here on Incarnate Powers: Farm Fresh Builds Tips and Tricks

Alpha - I like having the Agility Core for the Endurance, Recharge, and Defense boost. Many go for Musculature (either but usually core) for more damage or Spiritual (either but usually core) for more recharge.

Judgement - I don't like the cones and tend to get Ion or Pyronic. Ion is the simplest to use since it chains to everything it can hit and the most popular choice.

Interface - Reactive Core is the way I went, but some say Degenerative Core is also good.

Lore - Pick any pet but make sure you go Radial for the unkillable buff pet since you will most likely going to be fighting mobs that will quickly kill the Core pets. I like the Banished Pantheon Radial myself. See here for specifics: Lore Pet Spreadsheet

Destiny - Many like Ageless Core for the +End and +Recharge. Other options are Barrier for a defensive boost and to help out your teammates, or Rebirth for the Heal. I have not decided yet but I am leaning towards Ageless or possibly Barrier.

Hybrid - Assault Radial is definitely the way to go.

Here is the current build that incorporates all the help that I have received. It can be played exactly as slotted while leveling using SOs till in range of the correct IOs, and works well for 50+ content as well as running lower level content. I have even run this through several different types of farms with an OK time.

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Chemical Cocktail: Level 50 Science Brute
Primary Power Set: Radiation Melee
Secondary Power Set: Bio Armor
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Radioactive Smash -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury%(3), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), FrcFdb-Rechg%(34)
Level 1: Hardened Carapace -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(15), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(36), GldArm-3defTpProc(46)
Level 2: Inexhaustible -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(7)
Level 4: Environmental Modification -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(46), Rct-ResDam%(48), LucoftheG-Def(50)
Level 6: Fusion -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 8: Radiation Siphon -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(9), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(11), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), ThfofEss-+End%(13)
Level 10: Adaptation 
Level 12: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Kismet-+Acc(17)
Level 14: Taunt -- MckBrt-Taunt(A)
Level 16: Ablative Carapace -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(17), Prv-Heal(40), Prv-Heal/Rchg(40), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(48), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(48)
Level 18: Irradiated Ground -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), Obl-%Dam(19), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), Erd-%Dam(21), TchofLadG-%Dam(21), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(23)
Level 20: Evolving Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(23), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 22: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 24: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(25), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(37), UnbGrd-Max HP%(37), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(46)
Level 26: Devastating Blow -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(27), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(31)
Level 28: DNA Siphon -- ThfofEss-+End%(A), ThfofEss-Heal(29), PrfZng-Dam%(42), Obl-%Dam(43), FuroftheG-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(43), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(43)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Atom Smasher -- Mlt-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Mlt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), Mlt-Dmg/Rchg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), AchHee-ResDeb%(34)
Level 35: Genetic Contamination -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Obl-%Dam(42)
Level 38: Parasitic Aura -- Prv-Heal/Rchg(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(39), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(39), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(39), ThfofEss-+End%(40)
Level 41: Electrifying Fences -- TraoftheH-Acc/Immob/Rchg(A)
Level 44: Ball Lightning -- Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(A), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(45), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(45), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(45), Bmbdmt-Dam(50)
Level 47: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50)
Level 49: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Fury 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Qck-EndRdx(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(7), Mrc-Rcvry+(13)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(15)
Level 10: Defensive Adaptation 
Level 10: Efficient Adaptation 
Level 10: Offensive Adaptation 
------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1393;695;1390;HEX;|
|78DA6593494F53511886CF6D6FA9969652A00C3217289314EA0F900888895A2592B|
|8AD37B797F66A699BB624BA74E1CE38E0C2C495E3C28D1BE731F107F823DC398126|
|6AD4055C3FEEFB824D6CD23CF79BCEF79EEF9C933A3B177C70E8FCB4D2EA67F346A|
|5929E29AF542DFFA2695B05D3F22AA522B3396BD9368D7CDF6CD13C5335ECBC5FBC|
|9D6E5E3A65E52D2B71C2C8D846D52E1660F72236672D59858A9598B18BE9E3E5AC5|
|1B0CDF481F272B1AC820BC5623E71D4324A76211B728D793B9BAB8A1570ADC59265|
|65C2DB5919AB5CC9D9A5E8C1926D26D877259D322A55AB7CAE5DC4C4E47F31AEF87|
|37CEAB6084FEACA738BBC07EA19059A60FF058FCB8703626B6EADAE7E22B7E107D8|
|F30B1CF80D4EEC031F498D861A4DBB8E75EA56C1C712F322E6F54635D4B58093DF5|
|19F3C025E12DD3EE42ADF7DD45F169F9F7BF12F41EBAE2C99030336791A0C36C97A|
|DDBA7A22BD77633DA75516A9A7C67AEA68DC506EDE15E911420F15CAA1EF0BA90D2|
|3DF175E83BEC62FE0F007F23338F989FC085E95F522AC8DBC95F59A75D5A4106B72|
|B07ECBBAC7EDDDF20E76EB7BC45F4ADF66CEAB99F36FE5FCDB39FF41CEDF237B8A7|
|25E519E9F577C6D3CBF36D6B7B37E70BBFE0FCF6F2B5134AC8ADE0EEAED08EA6E6C|
|4F886C00BBC2604F2319015F89DE4ED67672EE5D2170B4024D63DCFBD87E721A8C8|
|9D66EEAEF1EC7D95D132DBD3CEFDE15F8FAAA6499E40CFB3749CEF8B5688971EFB1|
|9BBCAB77C8BBE0286B47A9E98DD40CB16688E719E739C753B827F163E030F7774A3|
|0C2FB32720331437CE3F0E9E30E66B357F3819BB437C0A4825F97FD27782713BC93|
|49BE8D88C4A6389B29C6E6F59DB7E974E93B6F7CCB741C75B4D6E3C32E177416884|
|F73B3D6023B6F55691398E77AAD6F04BEAFFF7C1EAD1FF3A83B091DC1C3C2615D7D|
|0BFCFFEE1BF8EE9F6DBD3D74769ED67C3FAFF9FE0B7459D8D5|

Any aditional help is always appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Dracomicon
updated as I learn more

16 hours ago, Dracomicon said:

Fusion feels like a weaker version of build-up

Fusion also makes contaminate 100% during its duration. Including Irradiated Ground. Hit that and everything has it, great way to ensure extra damage and also to setup for Radiation Siphon if you need the heal.

Taunt - Skippable depending on your playstyle. I love it, but didn't find room for this. Are Brutes replacement tanks for most content?

If a brute is on the team and there are no tanks, people will expect you to be on the front line and taking hits. That said, no one ever seems to expect brutes to actually have taunt. So personal preference for you. A lot of tankers skip it even, though they have a much easier time with aggro in general thanks to gauntlet. Evolving Armor, Genetic Contamination and Irradiated Ground will do a lot for keeping stuff glued to you, so taunt's primary value would be forcing ranged things into melee (taunt has a -range effect!)

Irradiated Ground - ... Is this a Proc-able power?

Yes, and with how the procs work in it, this is where a lot of the power for RadMelee exists. Put 5 procs in it (I think 5 is all that exist to go in it, but if you can put 6, put 6), they will go off far more than you would expect and do just silly amounts of damage.

Adaptation - This gives access to the different adaptations, but I do not have enough experience to comment. Is it worth switching adaptations, or is there a good enough default like Offensive to stick with?

Usually safe to stick with Offensive? However it does lower your resists. Switch if you're in a spot where you are taking a lot of damage and think defensive would help, or if you are running low on end, go to efficient. Offensive will be your default, though the damage bonus is less impressive on brutes than other ATs just with how fury works. Efficient is a pretty decent all around stance too because it adds a lot of regen as well as recovery, which can make you tankier through regen and more offensive through recovery. This build with two damage auras might actually stress Bio's recovery.

DNA Siphon - A click PBAoE that looks like a Consume-like power to boost your End and HP. A must have for a farmer, but is it skippable otherwise? I really have no idea the best slotting here and just randomly added touch of nictus as a filler for now. Help needed with this power.

If you want a proc bomb power, this can be that easily. You can slot it for heal and recovery, but it does pretty well base, so I usually 6 slot it with something like 3 piece eradication including the damage proc, and then 3 other damage procs for 4 total. You could go for more easily, and switch which set you 3 or 2 piece depending on needed set bonuses.

I have no specific comments on slotting for other powers! Your approach sounds correct though, you really need to slot attacks and armors for the set bonuses you need. Get all the uniques and then chase either def caps or regen to preference. 

Edited by Oysterhead
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Alphabet Bunnies
Currently Building: Dark/Fire Tanker, Merc/Time MM

50 Bunnies: Alpha Bunny (Il/Rad Controller) Beta-Bunny (FF/BR Defender) Gamma-Bunny (Seismic/Stone Sent) Epsilon Bunny (Spines/Invul Scrapper) Theta Bunny (Willpower/Axe Tanker) Zeta Bunny (DB/EnA Stalker) Lambda Bunny (Bio/SvgM Tanker) Xi Bunny (Stone/Stone Stalker) Sigma Bunny (SR/KM Tanker) Upsilon Bunny (Shield/DM Tanker) Chi Bunny (Fire Farmer Brute) Omega Bunny (Claws/Ninja Scrapper) F - araday Bunny (Elec/Elec Defender)
50 Non-Bunnies: Darboux (Crab Spider) Invisible Icicle (Ice/Bio Stalker) Cooling-Tower (Rad/Ice Tanker) Ferrouscious Feline (Invul/WM Tanker) Bill the Yeti (SavM/Ice Stalker) Sally Salamander (Fire/MA Tanker) Blade Azure (Kat/EnA Scrapper) 

I've been on Rad melee a bit recently, and you can (and should) 6- slot Irradiated Ground with procs. 

The reason is that IG is not a standard toggle damage aura, those check for proc trigger every 10 seconds. IG is instead a pseudo-pet, which spawns every 5 seconds. So, every 5 seconds, it checks for proc activation as if it were an activated power. This is set- defining, for me. 

Go for 6 damage procs (if you include the purple PBAOE proc, you can get that many) or 2 -res procs and 4 damage procs. Solo, the latter might be the way to go, stacking that -res with Bio's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Grimm2 said:

Go for 6 damage procs (if you include the purple PBAOE proc, you can get that many) or 2 -res procs and 4 damage procs. Solo, the latter might be the way to go, stacking that -res with Bio's.

Heard some rumor its going to get nerf, Irradiate is more OP then Quills in that regard.  Again, rumor...but makes sense.

Suggest adding Achilles -resist from -defense set, moar damage by reducing resist.

• Thanks 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

2 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

Heard some rumor its going to get nerf, Irradiate is more OP then Quills in that regard.  Again, rumor...but makes sense.

I think the devs intend on reworking procs, not least because procs reward not slotting recharge, which is counterintuitive. I hope whatever they do doesn't gut Rad Melee. It seems fun and effective, but not an outlier like TW was as it is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the input, it is very helpful.  I definitely added more procs to the toggles that you all recommended and found that I had Evolving Armor set to just one target so I changed that to 3 which for most content is achievable and that opened up more bonuses since in Defensive Adaptation it will cap S/L at a much lower value. I found that many builds use Unbreakable Guards to boost the Defense aspects of the armors so I now have much better defense values. I also franken-slotted Parasitic Aura to move slots elsewhere and still have the enhancement of the values I wanted in that power. I went for both -res procs in Irradiated Ground since you get that at lvl 18 and for exempted content it will be very helpful.

Here is my current iteration of my build that fits in more procs where I did not need to chase after certain bonuses. I am still leveraging Obliteration a lot for the S/L 2 slot bonus where I can.

Chemical Cocktail: Level 50 Science Brute
Ancillary Pool: Pyre Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Radioactive Smash -- BrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), BrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(13), BrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), BrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), BrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), BrtFur-Rchg/Fury(27)
Level 1: Hardened Carapace -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(3), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(5), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(25), GldArm-3defTpProc(46)
Level 2: Inexhaustible -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(5)
Level 4: Environmental Modification -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(7), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(7), LucoftheG-Def(9)
Level 6: Fusion -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 8: Radiation Siphon -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(33), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Mk'Bit-Dam%(34)
Level 10: Adaptation 
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(46)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(15)
Level 16: Ablative Carapace -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(17), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(17), Prv-Heal/Rchg(19), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(19), Prv-Absorb%(40)
Level 18: Irradiated Ground -- Obl-%Dam(A), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), AchHee-ResDeb%(25), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(37), Erd-%Dam(37), TchofLadG-%Dam(37)
Level 20: Evolving Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(21), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(21), UnbGrd-Max HP%(23)
Level 22: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 24: Tough -- RctArm-ResDam(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(27)
Level 26: Devastating Blow -- UnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), UnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(42), UnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), UnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), UnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), UnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(43)
Level 28: DNA Siphon -- PrfZng-Dam%(A), Erd-Dmg/Rchg(29), TchoftheN-%Dam(29), Obl-%Dam(31), Obl-Acc/Rchg(40)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31)
Level 32: Atom Smasher -- Mlt-Acc/Dmg(A), Mlt-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), Mlt-Dmg/Rchg(45), Mlt-Acc/EndRdx(45), Obl-%Dam(45), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46)
Level 35: Genetic Contamination -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(36), Obl-%Dam(36), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(39), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40)
Level 38: Parasitic Aura -- DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(A), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(39), Prv-Heal/Rchg(39)
Level 41: Char -- Lck-%Hold(A)
Level 44: Melt Armor -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A)
Level 47: Fire Ball -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(48), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(48), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(48), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(50)
Level 49: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(50), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 1: Fury 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(9), Mrc-Rcvry+(11)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(11)
Level 10: Defensive Adaptation 
Level 10: Efficient Adaptation 
Level 10: Offensive Adaptation 
------------

|MxDz;1385;696;1392;HEX;|
|78DA6593DB4E13511486F7B4032D3D009553A1B4400B2D8254EA0B10296262686C2|
|4311ED34CDA4D3B52DA66A62472E9857746235EF80CDE78C3C973E203786F7C0215|
|4113311E715CCCBF04129A4CBFD9EBB0D7BFD79A9DB939E57B7CF6D68450BCE9B26|
|69AB94963B12E5DB3795D56F2D2298408A44B7241CF6BE5FE74353F5FD7F4B28BAC|
|213B2E979165299317B482AED5F56A05EB3EF8A6E49CAC983239A95773E78DA256D|
|1F3B9D3C642D5109E6CB55A4ECED6A42CF8ECD719A9D5F44AD16F2FA6F562A94EAB|
|96FFAE8234CC925E0B9CA9E9F96476C9A0B29A5997C652908444E9B913A73F851E6|
|135884B243AA50ADF65E615B0F92AD8790DECB90EAEC40EE5EEC0E6F8C6FC01AADF|
|C1601705865531760AEB55CA5590AB280F1D885D06D7C8E784CFE9EC506C5BE357E|
|435B662ED6E07EF92FE06C48A8647C8BF473617EB72CD1112AAE82F324B4C1D1CB8|
|C19C07D7A9761372AD284DCBCB1ABDA3C2DE7B8CD9493E3FFBFCACB17957D8677C4|
|67BB470FD96F7D0DDFA81F9113CB6C9FC0426B6C0FBA43DC0B90101DB808573055F|
|13DB54313801FBE0B6C3AE37F806FEE754B74D71DA7D6BE379B4F33CDA790E9D3F7|
|93EA4BF83FBD6711BF94EB275F199BAA28ADD8F9E08B84CBABA595777A36AC71F77|
|31DDCC2670C4C3F4822F485708B96AC884E6DE4D66107A227CD6C41FFE16484B183|
|98E30F737C2338FF037F08034F50968EAAB612E238BE00983693279FFB1BFD8FF25|
|698AF279A2BF618B71ED18C7C6B8EFF15D30C1B9AF287708751D43196889CF3279A|
|E6F09C3DCDFE15FC8DBF10931CAB6519EE53B8A4B622F35B902AD2757996BCC7530|
|B50106A837E3DC9B71EE4D8A7B93E2DE4CABFB77D3EA5505FFACBDA5658999032F7|
|DEE509755D94436C58EDAF2ECDF51B66C1FB17C3EB03894019CDD7D111A3CE7F0ED|
|7CF11CBDEB1EBEEB4FF6EE1BAA5A1B87DE9F1E7AFF07BFD0DCF3|

If this is your first brute, you are in for a wild ride.  I haven't dusted off my Rad/Bio brute in a while, but if he is not the most overpowered of my alts, he is somewhere in the top three.

I'm much more experienced in Bio Armor than I am in Rad Melee, so keep that in mind.  I also like to play Bio *very* offensively.  Radiation is a lot of slow attacks, so I try to get as much help from Bio as I can.  Your toughest task will be finding enough slots for everything you want.

Rad Melee:

Skip Contaminated Strike, Taunt

Radioactive Smash -- I actually like to put a FF +recharge in there.

Proton Sweep -- Worthwhile taking.  It's a tight cone, but it's fun trying to get more than 2-3 in it.  Also, I put an Achilles Heel in here.

Fusion -- I tend to treat it pretty much like Build-up

Radiation Siphon -- If you don't put a Theft of Essence proc in every power that takes Accurate Healing, it's a crime.  Literally, it's a misdemeanor in every state of the US except Alabama.

Irradiated Ground -- Absurdly broken.

Devastating Blow -- I 6-slot it with Unrelenting Fury, but you can drop one and add a proc if you wish.

Atom Smasher -- My favorite animation ever.  I put an Achilles Heel in here too and 5-slot it with purples.

Bio:

Hardened Carapace -- 4x Unbreakable Guard

Inexhaustible -- base slot with Perf Shifter proc

Env Modification -- base slot with LotG proc

Adaption -- I'm almost always on Offensive.  Switch to Defensive if you must when needed.  

Ablative Carapace -- I 6-slot this with Preventative Medicine.

Evolving Armor -- 4x Unbreakable Guard

DNA Siphon -- This is my favorite single power in this game thanks to procs.  Fury of the Glad proc and Theft of Essence are musts.  Then, do as you will.

Genetic Contamination -- I don't do anything special here.  I consider it a normal damage aura.

Parasitic Aura -- I 5-slot Panacea (all except proc, which goes in health) and Theft of Essence.  See aforementioned crime.

I don't recall if I ever finished respeccing, but I was working towards something like the following.  NOTE:  This is not cheap, but we are living in a material world, and I am a material girl.

Spoiler

Level 50 Mutation Brute
Ancillary Pool: Pyre Mastery

Villain Profile:
------------
Level 1:    Radioactive Smash    
 (A) Superior Brute's Fury - Damage/Recharge
 (3) Superior Brute's Fury - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
 (3) Superior Brute's Fury - Recharge/Fury Bonus
 (5) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge
 (5) HamiO:Nucleolus Exposure

Level 1:    Hardened Carapace    
 (A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
 (7) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
 (7) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance
 (9) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 2:    Proton Sweep    
 (A) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage
 (9) Superior Avalanche - Damage/Endurance
 (11) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
 (11) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
 (13) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
 (13) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff

Level 4:    Environmental Modification    
 (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed

Level 6:    Fusion    
 (A) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Chance for Build Up

Level 8:    Radiation Siphon    
 (A) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage
 (15) Superior Blistering Cold - Damage/Endurance
 (15) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
 (17) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
 (17) Superior Blistering Cold - Damage/Endurance/Accuracy/RechargeTime
 (19) Theft of Essence - Chance for +Endurance

Level 10:    Adaptation    
Level 12:    Inexhaustible    
 (A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End

Level 14:    Combat Jumping    
 (A) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)
 (19) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage
 (21) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed

Level 16:    Ablative Carapace    
 (A) Preventive Medicine - Heal
 (21) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance
 (23) Preventive Medicine - Endurance/RechargeTime
 (23) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime
 (25) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance
 (25) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb

Level 18:    Irradiated Ground    
 (A) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff
 (27) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown
 (27) Armageddon - Chance for Fire Damage
 (29) Overwhelming Force - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
 (48) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Negative Damage
 (50) Eradication - Chance for Energy Damage

Level 20:    Evolving Armor    
 (A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
 (29) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
 (31) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance
 (31) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 22:    Kick    
 (A) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge

Level 24:    Tough    
 (A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
 (31) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
 (33) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
 (33) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
 (33) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance
 (34) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP

Level 26:    Devastating Blow    
 (A) Superior Unrelenting Fury - Accuracy/Damage
 (34) Superior Unrelenting Fury - Damage/RechargeTime
 (34) Superior Unrelenting Fury - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime
 (36) Superior Unrelenting Fury - Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
 (36) Superior Unrelenting Fury - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
 (36) Superior Unrelenting Fury - RechargeTime/+Regen/+End

Level 28:    DNA Siphon    
 (A) Fury of the Gladiator - Chance for Res Debuff
 (37) Theft of Essence - Chance for +Endurance
 (37) Eradication - Chance for Energy Damage
 (37) Touch of the Nictus - Chance for Negative Energy Damage
 (39) Obliteration - Chance for Smashing Damage
 (39) Obliteration - Accuracy/Recharge

Level 30:    Weave    
 (39) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
 (40) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
 (50) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Recharge

Level 32:    Atom Smasher    
 (A) Armageddon - Damage
 (40) Armageddon - Damage/Recharge
 (40) Armageddon - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
 (42) Armageddon - Accuracy/Recharge
 (42) Armageddon - Damage/Endurance
 (42) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff

Level 35:    Genetic Contamination    
 (A) Superior Brute's Fury - Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
 (43) Superior Brute's Fury - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
 (43) Superior Brute's Fury - Accuracy/Damage
 (43) Obliteration - Chance for Smashing Damage
 (45) Obliteration - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 38:    Parasitic Aura    
 (A) Panacea - Heal/Endurance
 (45) Panacea - Endurance/Recharge
 (45) Panacea - Heal/Recharge
 (46) Panacea - Heal/Endurance/Recharge
 (46) Panacea - Heal
 (46) Theft of Essence - Chance for +Endurance

Level 41:    Ring of Fire    
 (A) Gravitational Anchor - Accuracy/Immobilize/Recharge

Level 44:    Melt Armor    
 (A) HamiO:Lysosome Exposure
 (48) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff

Level 47:    Hasten    
 (A) Recharge Reduction IO
 (48) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 49:    Maneuvers    
 (49) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 1:    Fury    
Level 1:    Brawl    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Sprint    
 (A) Empty

Level 2:    Rest    
 (A) Empty

Level 2:    Swift    
 (A) Empty

Level 2:    Hurdle    
 (A) Empty

Level 2:    Health    
 (A) Panacea - +Hit Points/Endurance

Level 2:    Stamina    
 (A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End

Level 1:    Prestige Power Dash    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Prestige Power Slide    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Prestige Power Quick    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Prestige Power Rush    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Prestige Power Surge    
 (A) Empty

Level 4:    Ninja Run    
Level 50:    Agility Partial Core Revamp    
Level 10:    Defensive Adaptation    
Level 10:    Efficient Adaptation    
Level 10:    Offensive Adaptation    
------------

|MxDz;1486;697;1394;HEX;|
|78DA6593CB4F135114C6EF74A616FAA00FA03CDAD2F22A085A5A75218A2122E2428|
|804FF8066424798A4B6CDB424B274E1CE1760E2C607BE166EDCF87E26FE01AEDD99|
|B8F3059A88411393F174CE67D3642699FCE67EF7DE73BE73CFDC993393DE07C7CE8|
|E0BC97324AF96CBD90963A9A235CC2C55D48A5E2CC8821E17BD114BCFCE68794D4B|
|CDA939DD9AE6719CE726B5535AA1ACA526F462F684B1A016F4F9EC61E374D110DED|
|962319F9AD6D4925E58F05983297D61B14223B7353A59D2B49CFFFFAA9C669417F5|
|52F068499F4FCD2E1B94562D573463B99D8C0CD17B3E29F0988AB8451E338A70DC0|
|6EF3195730EE6182D5364F1B09728597B64B1C56B76FC02B7990DBF991792582A4C|
|A7744DE1B9EB4CF70DF026D3BB0EBEA57CCD8A784C7964CE23E456C99ABB48F19C1|
|C4F38EFB3AF4BA4B9789DD375996334AD80ABCCC01A7885190A91BF98229E508E46|
|DE6B3EA26F0FF279AE72EC3075CCC79AC3779C6B0AFD64B6C0D30BDAE7478DFE4F9|
|8FBCC0C7F01BF32DBBF811BCC15F21E84F720EAEEFCC8739D87D843F4038F47DEF1|
|38B3E9B0BCBFA4BCCDE84333FA10451FBAD0872EF4C14175B4E2DC5AD14F99B436E|
|46EDB83F555816227102F817809C4EBFEC35C25DF1DA8B9C3CB67DAED039B98BD7E|
|30000699AFC877047B23E31CAF0FFDE8436D7DEDAC2705F817FF20798EA1E618CE3|
|F19600EB4303341E61A798C234F7C3FEF1F18050F30771E04C740F4E03579ECE13C|
|4ACF1DF63074175C07E16D97C97BDFD09E7E9C677F147331B08BB93B0E2640D4FD9|
|E3088FE0CCE71BC2DAF10C31C4F1A1EE5BB37027F3D740E295E2FA58605FF1F6090|
|E6D2D897C619A57136534AEDEE9A51A576F7AB43D314D3366556A9DD5F2159CA869|
|B14A95ED9B429DFEB956EAEF447BD86DB555D6C0ED992A66D4AC6A6ECB529FB6C4A|
|6340089915733B4C1951F8B3EAA587FEB4EEFB79DDF73F97E1FDA9|

Edited by Yomo Kimyata
I like editing.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

18 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

If this is your first brute, you are in for a wild ride.  I haven't dusted off my Rad/Bio brute in a while, but if he is not the most overpowered of my alts, he is somewhere in the top three.

This is my first Brute and the first time starting Redside, so I wondered why it seemed fairly easy when many say that Redside is harder content. I am up to level 20 and cruising at +1 so far with few difficulties. Only a few un-expected ambushes have stressed my defenses.

Radiation Siphon -- If you don't put a Theft of Essence proc in every power that takes Accurate Healing, it's a crime.  Literally, it's a misdemeanor in every state of the US except Alabama.

I love this, since it is a 3.5 PPM that means that roughly every 3rd hit with this attack will give you back 10% so it cuts the end cost of this attach by 1/3rd-ish. This explains the slots you saved in health and stamina.

However, is it worth it in DNA Siphon? I mean this power will give you end back when you fire it, ahh but it takes three mobs hit to get more than you spent. Mids is showing that for every mob hit you get 10% back from the Theft of Essence, is this correct? If so, that is fantastic.

I had the same question about Parasitic Aura, but if you are getting 10% end back for every mob in the Aura then it is a crime to not have this proc.

DNA Siphon -- This is my favorite single power in this game thanks to procs.  Fury of the Glad proc and Theft of Essence are musts.  Then, do as you will.

Why did you put the Fury of the Glad proc in here? I was looking to put in in Irradiated Ground for the potential -20 res from it and the Achillie's Heel proc seems to really soften up the mobs and will hit more often which seems to be worth more than another damage proc in Irradiated Ground. 

Parasitic Aura -- I 5-slot Panacea (all except proc, which goes in health) and Theft of Essence.  See aforementioned crime.

Why Panacea? I was looking at Theft of Essence and 2-sloting with Doctored Wounds and 2 slot with Preventative Medicine to get the same-ish enhancements but with a total of 3.75% additional S/L as a cushion since you only cap S/L when in Defensive mode with 9ish mobs in your armor aura.

I love that you split Brute's Fury to get double the S/L Defense set bonus, and will definitely do that.

Proton Sweep -- Worthwhile taking.  It's a tight cone, but it's fun trying to get more than 2-3 in it.  Also, I put an Achilles Heel in here.

I swapped this for Fire Ball in the Epic, since I am lucky to get 2 in the arc as I misjudge the range distance all the time. This means I am more single target focused in the early levels, but once I hit level 18 all the mobs melt from Irradiated Grounds anyways.

I don't recall if I ever finished respeccing, but I was working towards something like the following.  NOTE:  This is not cheap, but we are living in a material world, and I am a material girl.

I am looking at skipping the purples at this time, since I only have 500mil to build this.  The 500mil is thanks to your blaster contest so thanks again! This is the first build and buy as I level toon for me 🙂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RageusQuitus2 said:

I judge you all silently.

Honestly, playing this Brute feels like being the Hulk chasing Black Widow on the flying fortress. Having taunt would just slow me down at this point. It gives me a bad case of short attention span, as look more mobs over there ... 🙂

DNA Siphon:  How would you like a power that refills your green bar every 30-45 seconds?  You'd use a power pick for that, right?  How about one that refills your blue bar every 30-45 seconds?  How about one that debuffs your enemy resistance every 30-45 seconds?  IT'S ALL THE SAME POWER!  I put Fury of the Glad proc in there because it is a 90% activation when I want it, not randomly like it would be in a damage aura (although Irradiated Ground is a decent back up.)  I will jump into a mob and open with this, Atomic Smasher, then beat on bosses while my auras destroy the minions.  When I am done seconds later I will jump into another mob and open with this.

Parasitic Aura:  Also a blue bar filler.  PA is a good power but it's not as apparent and having a proc in there helps to remind me to activate it more often.  I use Panacea because I am a complete recharge-chasing monster.

I've never even worried about capping S/L resistance.  I've got soft capped melee defense and good heals, and that is good enough for me.  My take on Bio is that the best defense is having no living enemies, but that's just one opinion out of many!

• Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

Just finished levelling/slotting my rad/bio and it's so. much. fun. I was able to soft cap s/l/m defense and get up to 84% s/l resist. The attack chain is a bit slim with only 4 attacks and I'm living in defensive adaptation, but it's a blast. I wish there were more slots for the utility powers in bio, but they're trooping along nicely.

This thread is very helpful for me. I'm leveling a Bio/Rad Tanker right now but I'm contemplating a brute instead. I felt like the higher hp would make more sense but I like DAMAGE.

Also does Irradiated Ground not need any accuracy? So 6 damage procs, and put the gladiator -Res into DNA siphon?

On 6/4/2021 at 1:58 PM, zrgallardo said:

This thread is very helpful for me. I'm leveling a Bio/Rad Tanker right now but I'm contemplating a brute instead. I felt like the higher hp would make more sense but I like DAMAGE.

I am loving running with a Brute. The leveling is soo much better since Fury makes going from 1-50 quite a joy. There is some debate right now about end-game difference between Brutes and Tanks with tanks getting an edge with AoE and large mobs, but Brutes still edge them out by a little bit 10%ish or more when Bosses are added into the mixture since it still feels like days to whittle down a boss with a tanker's damage. If you like damage, then I would try a Brute since it feels like it is pushing out more damage even if tanks are close by numerically. My opinion, and there is quite the debate about it. Here is one link about it: Buff Brutes or Nerf Tanks

On 6/4/2021 at 1:58 PM, zrgallardo said:

Also does Irradiated Ground not need any accuracy? So 6 damage procs, and put the gladiator -Res into DNA siphon?

The long answer is that it procs so often that you don't notice the misses, and your after 50 build should have bonus accuracy from sets and other places to help with harder to hit mobs. I would definitely put the Achille's Heel -Res proc in Irradiated ground since it really softens up the mobs. I put the Obliteration Acc/Dmg/Rec/End IO in for the S/L set bonus but I may be chasing those bonuses too much. I also like having the gladiator -Res in it too, so my slotting right now is: 1 Acc/Dmg/Rec/End, Achille's Heel -Res proc, Gladiator -Res proc, and 3 Dmg procs one being from the Obliteration set. I have an odd playstyle at times and so my slotting is still evolving as I continue to level up. 

Yomo points out that having the Gladiator proc in DNA Siphon gives you more control over when it fires, since it will proc every mob you hit with DNA Siphon every time you use DNA Siphon where in Irradiated Ground it will proc a little more often but you lack the control to determine when it fires off. It comes down to one's strategy in battle. Yomo also puts a chance for knockdown proc in Irradiated Ground that will give you more breathing room in a large group of enemies since some will be knocked down. I personally haven't had much success using the chance for knockdown proc, but that is most likely my playstyle preferences.

Short answer is no, it does not need accuracy. I would say that the general recommendation given to me so far is 5 damage procs and the Achilles Heel -Res proc.  Then modify according to your playstyle, preference, and fortune. 

On 6/6/2021 at 3:29 AM, Dracomicon said:

Yomo also puts a chance for knockdown proc in Irradiated Ground that will give you more breathing room in a large group of enemies since some will be knocked down.

This is indeed true, but the main reason I use that proc there is that it is *HILARIOUS*.  Also adds damage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

• 3 weeks later
On 6/7/2021 at 6:43 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

This is indeed true, but the main reason I use that proc there is that it is *HILARIOUS*.  Also adds damage.

I hate to quote such an obvious troll, but wanted to mention that I've slotted both the Overwhelming proc and an Avalanche proc in my lvl 20 Rad/regen scrapper.  I'm not sure what the radius is for the pseudo-pet, but the chance on the latter going off is something under 20%.  Regardless, it's even MORE hilarious.  There's more flopping than in an Italian kickety-ball match.

Edited by Yomo Kimyata
  • Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

• 2 weeks later
On 6/26/2021 at 1:45 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

I hate to quote such an obvious troll, but wanted to mention that I've slotted both the Overwhelming proc and an Avalanche proc in my lvl 20 Rad/regen scrapper.  I'm not sure what the radius is for the pseudo-pet, but the chance on the latter going off is something under 20%.  Regardless, it's even MORE hilarious.  There's more flopping than in an Italian kickety-ball match.

I have to agree even though I prefer to keep both -res procs in my Irradiated Ground since I like to see big numbers with my attacks and this helps in the low levels before you get DNA Siphon. But I did test it out and the defense gained from the flopping enemies is worth more than the loss of some -res per minute. I have a Fire/Kin so when I think flopping enemies I expect a bonfire reaction and this is not that but that is just my bias.

On 6/1/2021 at 3:33 PM, RageusQuitus2 said:

I judge you all silently.

I have changed my mind and will now agree that Taunt is a good pick to have. The radius of Irradiated Ground is small enough that some of those darn ranged mobs will not get close enough, and I feel bad when I have a bunch all locked on me and then a blaster runs by and grabs all the attention. I am such an attention hog, having Taunt is a decent power pick for these reasons. Is there a limit to the number of mobs taunted per activation? I remember that it used to be like one for Brutes and 5 for Tankers.

What are good Epic Pool picks for a Brute?

I like fire for Melt, but Fireball feels lackluster probably because of the low damage modifier that Brutes start out with for ranged attacks. Is Mu a good pick for the earlier pick to get Ball Lightning and for Fences even though the radius of Fences seems small and Ball Lightning will feel lackluster as well damage wise or am I not slotting the ranged AoE correctly or being patient enough for Fury to boost the damage? I do not have a lot of experience with Epic Pools.

10 hours ago, Dracomicon said:

. I am such an attention hog, having Taunt is a decent power pick for these reasons. Is there a limit to the number of mobs taunted per activation? I remember that it used to be like one for Brutes and 5 for Tankers.

I dont know offhand.  I thought it was the agro cap.  So tankers might have higher taunt cap?  Welcome to the dark side!

• Like 1

Well, I went and played with the Epic Pools a bit on the Beta server and ended up liking the Mu Epic pool. It saves me a power pick so that I can get taunt and feels more fun to play even if the numbers are similar to less than Pyre.

I make a few tweaks to push my res closer to the cap and no longer play in defensive adaptation mode as the default. It feels like a brand new build even though the powers are mostly the same. I have teamed up for so low level content and had an enjoyable time with no difficulties. Once you slot the Alpha to T3 things really pick up. All said it was about 300ish million to make this build as I started bidding as I leveled up and with some patience got good prices. I did use my own converters to make the superior versions of the Brute IO sets after 50 and that does make a difference as well.

The main cause of my failures to succeed in engaging the enemies was for two common reasons:

1) Inattention - The phone rings and I look away for a second-ish and look up and I'm faceplanting. The new build post T3 Alpha this is not so much a problem as I can put on defensive mode and be relatively safe for a while.

2) End Drain - Until the Alpha is T2 or better, this is a end heavy build and anything in the mid to high levels that removes end starts to make things quite difficult. Specifically there are Vanguard Sword mobs that give a 50% end reduction debuff that lasts for 2ish minutes that is rough, and Malta sappers. However, I did not have any trouble with Mu or Freakshow zappers as the do not drain as quickly and are easier to spot and eliminate early. 

The new build is in the first post of this topic for easy lookup.

On 7/6/2021 at 12:17 AM, Dracomicon said:

I like fire for Melt, but Fireball feels lackluster probably because of the low damage modifier that Brutes start out with for ranged attacks. Is Mu a good pick for the earlier pick to get Ball Lightning and for Fences even though the radius of Fences seems small and Ball Lightning will feel lackluster as well damage wise or am I not slotting the ranged AoE correctly or being patient enough for Fury to boost the damage? I do not have a lot of experience with Epic Pools.

I usually go Pyre for Melt Armor/Fireball.  I also like Leviathan for Arctic Breath/Bile Spray.  If having endurance issues, Energy Mastery (and Energy Torrent is such fun with procs).  I don't see much use for the others.

• Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

On 7/6/2021 at 12:17 AM, Dracomicon said:

I'm kind of a fan of the Energy Mastery Epic; it's kind of bland on paper, but this pool offers some really powerful effects without requiring a ton of enhancement slots to get them. 

On top of a little extra endurance/recovery and +regen, Superior Conditioning and Physical Perfection give you two extra slots for PerfShift+End; assuming you're slotting a third in Stamina, that's an extra ~47 endurance every minute, which really helps feed the machine when you're slotting a bunch of +Recharge bonuses.   If slots are tight, you can just stick the procs in the base slot and move on, getting all that in return.  While I usually slot them in Health/Stamina, you could also tuck the PM: Absorb Proc and PT: Chance to Heal in Energy Mastery if you really wanted to.

Meanwhile, Focused Accuracy is crazy-good at +4 stuff; not to throw combat math all over the place, but a power like Radioactive Smash slotted with .425 in Accuracy enhancements would only have a 56% chance of hitting a +4, but take that same power slotted the same way and add Focused Accuracy slotted just for endurance, that chance goes up to 72% which is nearly your base ToHit for an even-con.  Add a Kismet +Acc somewhere and that +4 becomes a -1 in terms of HitChance.  FA also gives you decent resistance to -ToHit debuffs which you tend to run into once you're getting around to choosing an Epic/Patron.  FA is a little endurance-heavy, but you can get away with a single +5 IO here and move on.

I usually don't truck in Laser Beam Eyes so I've no opinion on that, but Energy Torrent is a decent proc mule, provided you're content with wasting a slot on the KB:KD enhancement.  You *probably* wouldn't have room for either of these on a Rad/Bio but they're out there if'n you want them.

• Thanks 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

6 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I usually go Pyre for Melt Armor/Fireball.  I also like Leviathan for Arctic Breath/Bile Spray. ...

I noticed in the build you posted earlier in this tread you only got Melt Armor and not Fireball. I ran into the same dilemma and decided that I liked the ranged AoE more and that is what led me to look at the Mu pool.

How to you get the mobs into your cones if using Leviathan? Range is 60' but the arc is only 30' which feels small to me and I am lucky to get more than a few in the cone.

5 hours ago, roleki said:

I'm kind of a fan of the Energy Mastery Epic; it's kind of bland on paper,  ...

Meanwhile, Focused Accuracy is crazy-good at +4 stuff; not to throw combat math all over the place, but a power like Radioactive Smash slotted with .425 in Accuracy enhancements would only have a 56% chance of hitting a +4, but take that same power slotted the same way and add Focused Accuracy slotted just for endurance, that chance goes up to 72% which is nearly your base ToHit for an even-con.  Add a Kismet +Acc somewhere and that +4 becomes a -1 in terms of HitChance.  FA also gives you decent resistance to -ToHit debuffs which you tend to run into once you're getting around to choosing an Epic/Patron.  FA is a little endurance-heavy, but you can get away with a single +5 IO here and move on. ...

Hrmmm ... you make a good point about chance to hit. This made me change my build to move a slot around to get that Kismet +Acc slotted.

44 minutes ago, Dracomicon said:

I noticed in the build you posted earlier in this tread you only got Melt Armor and not Fireball. I ran into the same dilemma and decided that I liked the ranged AoE more and that is what led me to look at the Mu pool.

How to you get the mobs into your cones if using Leviathan? Range is 60' but the arc is only 30' which feels small to me and I am lucky to get more than a few in the cone.

Usually on brutes and tanks, I think of Ranged AoEs as "out of character" but I accept them as debuffing mechanisms.  If I have enough powers and slots to add Fireball on top of Melt Armor (which I usually slot with an Achilles and a Lysosome), I can almost assure you that I'm gonna put a Annihilation -res in there.

I vastly prefer Arctic Breath over Bile Spray because of debuffing procs.  My M.O. is to gather up a big crowd, jump backwards (or up) and spray them, then move in for the kill.  The cones are a little chintzy, but so be it!

• Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

1 hour ago, Dracomicon said:

Hrmmm ... you make a good point about chance to hit. This made me change my build to move a slot around to get that Kismet +Acc slotted.

I put that [stuff] on everything. Sure, I still miss on occasion, but at least I know I did everything I could.

• Thanks 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!