How does Mental Manipulation's World of Confusion handle chance to confuse?

CCCM89

Is this legit a percent change to confuse per tick of damage, or is it just a lower accuracy threshold then the damage?  I would like to know so I can make a more informed decision as to whether to slot it with a damage set, confuse set, or leave it unslotted.  If it's a percent chance to confuse per tick, what's the percent, and how many ticks per second?  This will help me gauge how many, if any, confuse duration I'll need to make it near constant for at least a few enemies at a time.  If it's just accuracy, then how much lower is said confuse accuracy?

Edited by CCCM89

• CCCM89 changed the title to How does Mental Manipulation's World of Confusion handle chance to confuse?
14 hours ago, FUBARczar said:

IMO don't expect much from WoC any which way you slice it.

I have no experience with WoC in the Blaster secondary, but I tried VERY HARD to make it work on a Dominator (from the Ancillary pool) and I was very disappointed with it. There was no combination of play style or alternate power choices that could make it worth the slots or Endurance cost.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tidge said:

I have no experience with WoC in the Blaster secondary, but I tried VERY HARD to make it work on a Dominator (from the Ancillary pool) and I was very disappointed with it. There was no combination of play style or alternate power choices that could make it worth the slots or Endurance cost.

There's an interesting (conceptually) Darkir build on the Dom forum that pairs WoC with Arctic Air (Ice dom) to stack confusion on mobs in the range of both while under Domination - I presume it would use Combat Teleport to port into spawns.  I thought hard about making it but ultimately didn't because it will still have Dom damage and I'd rather just kill the mobs than confuse them.

Edited by brasilgringo

My recollection, WoC is a Mag 2 Confuse.  It requires the standard ToHit check (1.00 base) as the power is technically a damage aura.  The confusion duration is extremely short, even for Dom/Troller.  The confuse time is so short and the time between activations is so long you generally can't stack it without excessive confuse enhancements (which is not worth it).  You will only confuse minions with it, and they will generally only confuse long enough to potentially redirect one attack, which is the point.  You're not using the power to confuse groups, you're using it to potentially avoid attacks from minions altogether.

It honestly is underwhelming.  I run it on my controller though who stacks it with Time's Juncture.  It's a good spot for Coercive Persuasion however as Blasters have next to no confusion powers to begin with.

Edited by ZorkNemesis
forgot about Blinding Powder
  • Like 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

2 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

It honestly is underwhelming.  I run it on my controller though who stacks it with Time's Juncture.  It's a good spot for Coercive Persuasion however as Blasters have next to no confusion powers to begin with.

My experience (on the Dominator) was that if the nearby enemies got confused, they would basically just ignore me (typically scattering) but for only a VERY short time. It simply had no place in any conceivable version of my build... and I tried to make it work. I think I ran with it for at least a couple of weeks trying different lvl 45+ content. (Obviously Nemesis troops were unaffected)

WoC is terrible. The confuse is paper thin and milliseconds long. Most of the time you will not even know it has fired. Sometime you will see the effect if you happen to be looking right at someone affected when it affects them but it doesn't stop them. Because once an NPC attack is qued it fires without regard to circumstances, the confuse doesn't even affect combat in any way you can see. WoC is just absorbed into animation time and they just attack as normal.

Its one of those powers that has an "on paper" effect but when manifest in the game, it is so under-powered that even the most basic and common game elements overpower it to the point where it ceases to exist save for the fact that you spent a slot on it.

Perhaps there was a time when someone worried that the threshold for utility would be too high on a power like WoC but currently the threshold for utility is so low that it disappears into the background noise effectively wasting a power selection.

If anything stacks onto its minuscule effect I can't imagine it having any chance to affect the game.

• 3 months later