Open all Primary Powers by level 30, Secondary by level 32

Level 32 kind of feels like a halfway point for characters, you move from choosing powers to slotting them up, then choosing an Epic/Patron Pool. But some sets are still waiting on important Secondary powers at level 35 and 38, and that gets kind of boring. I think moving up power choices would make leveling more fun and might create a wider variety of builds. My suggestion for new levels powers would unlock at:

Level 24 - Primary T8, Secondary T7

Level 28 - Secondary T8

Level 30 - Primary T9

Level 32 - Secondary T9

This isn't a needed change, but I thought it might be fun and maybe encourage people to play their characters more instead of get power-leveled.

• Like 5

Grinding to a specific level to get an ability your playstyle depends upon is tiresome.

The most clear and obvious example here is Phantom Army.

Insert thought-terminating cliché.

Edited by Herotu
typo

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

10 minutes ago, Herotu said:

Grinding to a specific level to get an ability your playstyle depends upon is tiresome.

The most clear and obvious example here is Phantom Army.

Insert thought-terminating cliché.

That at lvl 18. 1 round in a farm and your around lvl 20, so you can have Phantom Army in about 4 minutes from making the toon. Otherwise you can run DFB->hollows or KR and be lvl 18 in about 90 minutes with a double xp booster.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

That at lvl 18. 1 round in a farm and your around lvl 20, so you can have Phantom Army in about 4 minutes from making the toon. Otherwise you can run DFB->hollows or KR and be lvl 18 in about 90 minutes with a double xp booster.

issue i find with pa isnt when its available, or how long it takes to get, which isnt long, buts its long cd leaving you stuck with 2 single target damage abilities and fear isnt part of containment inherent, but this isnt relevant to discussion,

10 hours ago, Supertanker said:

This isn't a needed change, but I thought it might be fun and maybe encourage people to play their characters more instead of get power-leveled.

The people who want to get PLd will get PLd, even if you unlocked all primary and secondary powers at level 1. And it doesn't matter if they get PL'd or not, frankly.  Some don't want to play characters until they're "complete" at 50 and fully IOd, T4'd, etc. The people who want to play characters through lower levels for whatever reason (like me) are going to do so.

Personally, I don't think it's needed. There are some powers that could be rearranged to be *available* earlier, but that's a powerset-by-powerset project.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I wouldn't be all that up for changing what levels different tiers of power are granted, that is part of the progression of the game and it changes dynamics between AT's that share powersets across primary and secondary. However, I do think there is always a case for looking at individual powersets and asking if the powers are laid out in the most appropriate way.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

I'm wary of anyone using a "wider variety of builds" as reasoning for this kind of change, because historically it translates to "I want fewer limitations so I can make obscene game-breaking metabuilds"

In this case I just mean with Primary and Secondary powers opening earlier, we're not forced into Power Pool choices until much later. Or if there's some powers you want to skip, it takes less Pool choices to fill the levels.

6 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

That's all well and good, but what if you're doing story missions because the game actually exists before level 18?

Like I said before, it is what it is/there's nothing you can do about it/that's CoH for you/etc.

6 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

I'm wary of anyone using a "wider variety of builds" as reasoning for this kind of change, because historically it translates to "I want fewer limitations so I can make obscene game-breaking metabuilds"

I'm not going to disagree, but I'll ask what does game-breaking mean in a game where being OPAF doesn't matter, and in fact happens naturally because some class/powerset combos are just plain better than others?

Edited by Herotu

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

10 minutes ago, Herotu said:

I'm not going to disagree, but I'll ask what does game-breaking mean in a game where being OPAF doesn't matter, and in fact happens naturally because some class/powerset combos are just plain better than others?

You don't fix something by breaking it more

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't hate the central idea of wanting to do cool things sooner, and then focus the 2nd half of the career on performance instead of "realizing your concept" but I prefer the similarly contentious position:

Move Epic access down... Again.

30/35/41 gooooooo.

More realistically, I think Control pets should move to t7. It's a lot of how you play locked down for an awkwardly long time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyrannical said:

I'd say OPAF and broken are pretty synonymous

Well, that's certainly one perspective. :)

23 minutes ago, Herotu said:

Well, that's certainly one perspective. 🙂

At this point the genie's already out of the bottle, but that doesnt mean there shouldn't be rules for what people can wish for 😉

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Replacement said:

Move Epic access down... Again.

30/35/41 gooooooo.

I'd be for moving down the level the patron arcs become available to 33 so they're already unlocked (if you haven't joined someone else's arc) at 35, other than that...

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.