Gauss build up

Snarky

I saw a bit of info in the Stalker guide about using Gaussian. It said not to have over 70% recharge in build up or you will get less than a 90% chance to have Gaussian fire.  Does that include global recharge?

With a full guassians set slotted at lv50 you have 73.78% recharge. This loses you something like 1.8% from the chance for the proc to fire in a 90 sec base recharge build up type power ... It really isn't worth worrying about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Slotting for ANY recharge in Build Up on a Stalker is arguably wasted slots.  The ATO proc makes it so that the natural recharge of the power almost never factors in because you're nearly guaranteed to have the proc fire before the power recharges.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Parabola said:

You're not slotting the full guassians set for the recharge though 🙂

Understood, but a lot of Stalker secondaries also don't need the 2.5% positionals.  I guess it depends on the build.  I only have 1 character with the full set, most others just single slot the Gaussian proc in an appropriate power and call it a day.  

Each of the set bonuses from the Guassian's set is pretty good (although I suppose the Health boost at 3-slots is somewhat "meh")... the sixth piece also gives Fire/Cold Defense in addition to the Melee boost. It's certainly no (6-piece) Superior Winter bonus.

When folks don't want to invest many slots in a Build Up power, I do recommend backing up the Gaussian's %Build Up proc (if it isn't slotted elsewhere) with a (boosted) Recharge. There are just enough fun team-up missions/SF/TF at low enough levels (i.e. below level 18 where the Gaussian's set cuts out but above level 8 when Stalkers can take Build Up) that having the Build Up available more often (keep in mind that at such low levels a Stalker won't have as many attacks to trigger the ATO) is a relief. Obviously if Build Up is taken at a later level or you don't care, don't sweat it.

Where Guassian's really shines is on positional defence melee builds; SR, Nin and Shield. Each of these is typically shooting for softcaps in all three vectors and that 6 slot bonus is a very efficient use of slots. A typical 6 slot positional defence bonus will be 3.75% working out at 0.75% defence per added slot (5 on top of the base slot), but if you are using all three vectors Guassian's is giving you 7.5% defence at 1.5% per slot. When I'm building a SR, Nin or Shield the first thing I do is stick Guassian's in the build up power.

I use a full set of Gaussian on things like mr ranged damage dealers.  I go for softcap ranged a lot.  It wont be an issue here.  I am building a Dark/Invul Stalker. I will use Hyperstrikes template.  With ideas from the pinned Stalker guide on how to slot.  So I will not be putting more than 69.9% recharge in Build Up.  

This character is my new solo all Redside character for this year.  My first non Brute run.

I appreciate all the advice.  I will probably be asking quite a few Stalker questions in the next couple weeks.

If you're going to min/max, you'll want 170%+ recharge, total. You'll also want your BU up as often as possible. If you're trying to reduce the amount of in-power recharge to get a few more percent chance for the proc to fire, you'll be missing out on the additional damage you will net per minute from BU being up as often as possible.

If you want to do things like take down GMs with no lore, no insps, no temps, no summons, no p2w, no judgement attack... 170+% recharge and BU as often as possible. Also, gaussian has superb set bonuses.

Edited by SwitchFade
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later

I am currently running a Psi/Dark/Soul build with a full set of Gaussian.  I appreciate it this info greatly!

On 7/9/2021 at 7:19 PM, StrikerFox said:

No, does not include global recharge. Only the +70% from IO slotting.

If you need the Gaussian set bonuses, mix up the IO levels when slotting. Can still get the bonuses with about +69% recharge.

image.png.10cb3bf53b1af9f4c61abc61641a5969.png

I have found that this particular build I am making absolutely needs the 6 slot benefit from GSFC.  I am super excited about it and can’t wait to finish slotting it to see how he shapes up (I never use mids because I like building characters from scratch).

Server:  Everlasting

Notable Toons:  Nux Aukairo (Savage Melee/Dark Armor Brute), Boanerges Aukairo (Electric Melee/Shield Defense Brute) Lux Aukairo (Beam Rifle/Radiation Emission Corruptor), EVENT HORlZON (Fire/Gravity Dominator), CharcoaI (Savage Melee/Fiery Aura Brute), lsotope (Radiation Melee/Dark Armor Brute), CLERlC (Dual Pistols/Time Corruptor), RoidRage (Invulnerability/Super Strength Tank), BasiIisk (Psi/Dark Stalker), Meissner Effect (Electric/Energy Tanker), Burn Card (Dual Pistols/Fiery Aura Sentinel), Nux (Dark Melee/Dark Armor Scrapper), Mecha Nux (Radiation Armor/Energy Melee Tanker), AE0NAUT (Beam Rifle/Temporal Manipulation Blaster)

1 hour ago, cfarevival said:

I have found that this particular build I am making absolutely needs the 6 slot benefit from GSFC.  I am super excited about it and can’t wait to finish slotting it to see how he shapes up (I never use mids because I like building characters from scratch).

Unless this is going to be a dedicated 50-only build, I would just slot the attuned set.  It's not worth losing those set bonuses if you ever plan to exemplar below 47 just to have a really tiny extra chance of proc at level 50.  

Also remember that Agility and Spiritual alpha incarnate abilities affect proc chance as well.  They count as recharge enhancement in the power and not global recharge bonus.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, ZemX said:

Also remember that Agility and Spiritual alpha incarnate abilities affect proc chance as well.  They count as recharge enhancement in the power and not global recharge bonus.

Thanks,  I have chosen Cadiac (endo, res, and fear) duration for this build.  But this was information I did not know, so I appreciate it!

Server:  Everlasting

Notable Toons:  Nux Aukairo (Savage Melee/Dark Armor Brute), Boanerges Aukairo (Electric Melee/Shield Defense Brute) Lux Aukairo (Beam Rifle/Radiation Emission Corruptor), EVENT HORlZON (Fire/Gravity Dominator), CharcoaI (Savage Melee/Fiery Aura Brute), lsotope (Radiation Melee/Dark Armor Brute), CLERlC (Dual Pistols/Time Corruptor), RoidRage (Invulnerability/Super Strength Tank), BasiIisk (Psi/Dark Stalker), Meissner Effect (Electric/Energy Tanker), Burn Card (Dual Pistols/Fiery Aura Sentinel), Nux (Dark Melee/Dark Armor Scrapper), Mecha Nux (Radiation Armor/Energy Melee Tanker), AE0NAUT (Beam Rifle/Temporal Manipulation Blaster)

While the set bonuses for gaussians are nice for sets like sr or sd, 6 slots into build up is a huge investment for no global recharge buff. Maxing out build up's enhanced recharge to 70% is also marginally unhelpful because the stalker ATO resets the cooldown. Especially for sets using typed defense, a single gaus bu proc and a single +5 rchg IO is much more slot efficient. The additional 17% rchg beyond a single +5 rchg io really isnt worth the extra slot. I would also argue that super reflexes can softcap without 6 pc gaussians, though unfortunately shield defense relies quite heavily on it.

Currently on fire.