The Suicide Squad

The new film is just as messy as the first one.  But that's part of its charm.

And the stand out performance?

KING SHARK!

The Sylvester Stallone role I never knew I needed in my life!

Edited by Hyperstrike
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

The movie was abysmal as far as I'm concerned.   Cornball comedy, lame villains, mixed with a lot of blood and gore - just not my thing.

The Eyeball Starfish GM was terrible - makes early Godzilla movies/Ultraman/etc feel like masterpieces.

I thought it was the best DC movie since Dark Knight (tied with the first 2/3 of Wonder Woman) but that's not exactly a high bar. It was still boring and pointless and I imagine I'd have really hated it if I didn't watch everything at double speed or if I'd had any expectations of it whatsoever. It's almost the same movie as the first squad, just with a better actor playing Deadshot, an external threat and no trashing of beloved characters (Juggalo Joker). The team building scenes were slightly less tedious with better actors and King Shark. They didn't really advance anything with it and barely got it to the level of a bad Marvel entry, but it's still an improvement compared to their usual faire. Of course it tanked at the box office since it hardly had enough appeal even to draw all the anti-mask crowd so they'll probably go in a completely different direction for their next things anyway. If that means they'll cut some dad jokes out of Black Adam, all the better.

I watched it right after seeing Black Widow in the theater.  Suicide Squad was the better movie.  Really liked John Cena's character (and John Cena in general, he's a funny guy), Harley was well-used and well-cast.  Rats are cute so having a big pro-rat message was cool. 

I liked the doctor who controlled the BBEG guy too and thought that was one of the best scenes.

52 minutes ago, Machariel said:

I liked the doctor who controlled the BBEG guy too and thought that was one of the best scenes.

I loved that he was just Doctor Who with hi-tech hair curlers.  Perfect casting, great performance.

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

On 8/9/2021 at 6:19 AM, krj12 said:

The movie was abysmal as far as I'm concerned.   Cornball comedy, lame villains, mixed with a lot of blood and gore - just not my thing.

The Eyeball Starfish GM was terrible - makes early Godzilla movies/Ultraman/etc feel like masterpieces.

Sorry, I had fun watching.
Was it a mess?  Sure.
And the fact that they managed to actually get a complete wall-banger of a villain like Starro into the film just gobsmacked me.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• 2 weeks later

It knew exactly what it promised and it delivered.  They took the complaints about the first movie and fixed them.  Replacing 30 minutes introducing the characters before action started by starting with action and spending 1 minute naming names.

I enjoyed it throughout.  It did not add up to anything, it was just wall to wall action and fun.

My daughter like Harley but did not think the movie was funny.  She wanted more jokes and less over the top violence.

Aquaman is the only DC movie I have liked better (not too hard, since that and Green Lantern are the only DC movies I have enjoyed).