Bit of a rant

Lusiphur Malache

I was wasting time on my dark/martial blaster yesterday when a friend started recruiting for a LRSF that wasn't a speed run.  I join up with a couple defenders, a stalker, a corrupter, a scrapper, and a controller. Yeah, very interesting team, but nothing ventured, nothing gained and i'm not looking for anything.

Long story short, I end up tanking BSB and Manticore plus stay on the frontline for all the other hero fights.  Last mission Numina decides to make it her personal task to keep me dead.  Team wipes twice before we complete at which point the scrapper says, "Blasters belong in the back." I clench my teeth, quit the sf, but here we are 12 hours later and I still here their words.  I thought CoX had moved past this kind of talk. *plink, plink*

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

There are a lot of people (either people who played City of Heroes back in 2004 - 2006 or so, quit, and then came back for Homecoming, or those who are veterans of WoW and/or WoW-clones), who have this "trinity" style gameplay in their head, and desire it.  They don't understand that that no longer exists in City of Heroes, and never will again.  They especially don't know what to make of red side origin ATs like Corruptors, Dominators, and Masterminds because they can't be easily pigeonholed like most blue side ATs.  But they don't get today's Blasters either.  Anyone who still says in 2021 that Blasters are "squishy" has no idea of what they're talking about and either never did, or are stuck back in 2006.  I've tanked many TFs and SFs on Blasters, even sometimes when we already had a Brute or Tanker. :classic_tongue:  Heck, my newest Blaster project even has a taunt aura. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Apparition
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

My two inf...  I have long (since live) complained that the core design of Blasters are "Blappers" and then some guy in marketing threw the adjective "Ranged" on the thing.  Blasters do their most damage in close.  Yes, they are one of the classes with hard hitting ranged attacks.  They also have a metric crapton of PBAoE and melee range attacks.  

In short.  The Scrapper was ignorant.  Not stupid.  Just ignorant of the facts of the game.  Your Dark/Martial I assume took some (most?) of the powers in their secondary set?  Probably took the T9 Blackstar from Dark.  Guessing here.  Yep, just another ignorant comment from a PUG player.

image.png.74de6e050764ad7eda46e4c16df4fce8.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Lusiphur Malache said:

I was wasting time on my dark/martial blaster yesterday when a friend started recruiting for a LRSF that wasn't a speed run.  I join up with a couple defenders, a stalker, a corrupter, a scrapper, and a controller. Yeah, very interesting team, but nothing ventured, nothing gained and i'm not looking for anything.

Long story short, I end up tanking BSB and Manticore plus stay on the frontline for all the other hero fights.  Last mission Numina decides to make it her personal task to keep me dead.  Team wipes twice before we complete at which point the scrapper says, "Blasters belong in the back." I clench my teeth, quit the sf, but here we are 12 hours later and I still here their words.  I thought CoX had moved past this kind of talk. *plink, plink*

People think blasters are squishy( bad players think this). I’d tell em a scrapper is a tank-lite and should be tanking the AVs, and if they were any good, they’d have been tanking the AVs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Lololol ... 😈

Having been on the same boat with a different member of the *ahem* Trinity more than a couple of times as a frequent Empathy 'offender' player yeah ignorance sometimes willfully so even.  And it's a long, long way from a new phenomenon unfortunately.  I feel your frustration.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Apparition said:

But they don't get today's Blasters either.  Anyone who still says in 2021 that Blasters are "squishy" has no idea of what they're talking about and either never did, or are stuck back in 2006.  :classic_biggrin:

Unless you are leveling up and still using SOs, "squishy" is indeed an outdated term. IOs today are just far too accessible and affordable.

23 hours ago, Snarky said:

In short.  The Scrapper was ignorant.  Not stupid. 

image.png.74de6e050764ad7eda46e4c16df4fce8.png

Stupidity and ignorance both require a simple communication interjection. @op i would have just informed the played that times have changed rather than getting hurt about it. Both stupidity and ignorance in this case equally deserve a good laugh.

22 hours ago, Seed22 said:

I’d tell em a scrapper is a tank-lite and should be tanking the AVs, and if they were any good, they’d have been tanking the AVs.

A scrapper can make a fine tank. Unfortunately this depends on the secondary and is independent of their skill. Shield defense, invulnerability, radiation, and bio armor make for fine main tank scrappers, other scrappers will have much more difficulty holding aggro, or be completely inept at the task.

Currently on fire.

Well I tank that engagement on my dom without using the old sleep method so you're blaster if well built should be just fine.  Next time tell those PUG'ers to get bent. 

Numina is the first one you spike on that fight, she rezzes, buffs AND does psi damage.  If she goes down first almost any group can power through after, she lives and your team wipes she'll buff all those heroes into gods for you to fight once you return.  

If they don't know to spike Numina first then it's a waste of your mental state to entertain any thought about this.

On 8/8/2021 at 5:56 AM, Lusiphur Malache said:

I would just reply "scrappers shouldn't be so squishy LoL" because I am a petty, petty trash talker.

• Haha 1