What Accuracy number do you aim for?

SuperPlyx

Building out a new tank and was wondering what Accuracy number does everyone go for ?

Not gonna lie I have prioritized other things on my melee toons in the past and think this may have been a mistake.

So easy to start chasing defense/resist , recharge and damage that you can overlook accuracy.

But like my friend recently said "Doesn't matter how hard you can hit if you miss"

Advice when leveling up (and you don't lean into enhancement set bonuses)

Keep in mind that the Tanker Taunt is an auto-hit power... so if you are always teaming and taunting, accuracy in the attacks isn't as important.

For attacks (while leveling) I always start with an accuracy (the CoT ToHit Debuffs can be brutal), followed by Endurance reduction, then other effects.

Advanced advice:

If your primary has a Defense power that will always be on (Auto or Toggle) consider adding the Kismet +Accuracy (really ToHit) enhancement to it. This is a piece that starts working at very low level, and will boost your "final ToHit" chances in all powers as long as the power is on.

Many of the enhancement sets that go into attack powers (and will be ones that most players gravitate towards) will include accuracy enhancements. Attuned versions of these are all I need. Many sets (particularly Very Rare/Purple) also offer global accuracy bonuses for including multiple pieces, so for players that chose to emphasize something other than Accuracy when slotting they don't suffer too much.

• Like 1

Your friend is correct. I try to aim for as close to 95% against +3 which is where we end after the T3 Alpha is slotted in. Most often I end overshooting and end with 100%+ but it's not on purpose.

Adding Focused  Accuracy helps alot in reaching those as a bonus though the real purpose is the protection against -ToHit.

If you go to Mids and change the ToHit in options - Exemping and Base Values from 75% to 48% you can simulate hitting +3 enemies so the accuracy in the attacks' tooltips will be accurate.

• Like 1

I also recommend 95% against +3. But you asked what I do, and that's not what I do. I take accuracy very seriously. Like everyone, I hate to miss. But I also almost always play characters that have to hit to keep their survivability maxed, as with Katana or Martial Arts, or any Tanker these days with the Tanker ATOs. And I want to still hit with full accuracy even in exceptional circumstances. On my builds I prefer 95%+ to hit +4 (options -> configuration -> exemping & base values -> base tohit = 39), and I'm more comfortable with over 100%. I also try to have tohit debuff resistance in the build in some way, generally either Focused Accuracy or Ageless Radial. In future builds, I may do a little math and figure out what I need for 95% to hit +3 with a task force set to player debuffed, and maybe that will be my target. Too lazy to do the research and math right now, but I know it's an even higher number, and ridiculous overkill for most situations.

Edited by Werner

As long as I'm somewhere in the 80% + region I'm comfortable and get good results. I do prefer more if I can get it though and only go down to the 80's on certain powers if balancing my build calls for a little sacrifice.

Edited by MrAxe

#1, the leftmost one in your picture. The suggested target is 95%+ there for every attack after you've entered 48 here:

Accuracy.JPG.4b80505ed317d1233722caa59fbde826.JPG

I believe #2 is the global accuracy enhancement bonus from set bonuses and powers, and #3 is the accuracy enhancement from just the enhancement values in that particular power. But #1 is the actual chance to hit most enemies who are effectively +3 to your level, as we'd expect when we have our incarnate powers slotted up and we're fighting normal content set to +4, subject to the limitation that your final chance to hit in game is capped at 95%, so over 95% in that leftmost number will only affect the game in unusual situations. I like to be able to handle unusual situations smoothly, but that's where you're reaching diminishing returns for the necessary tradeoffs to accomplish it, particularly if you're willing to just chug a yellow inspiration (but I'm not when solo).

Welcome to the forum!

Edited by Werner
  • Like 2

I'll echo what Werner, Sovera and Tidge are saying.

That said the short not so helpful answer is enough so you aren't being overly frustrated by your results.

And the long answer is complicated.   Start with the above posts, then read up in the HCwiki for more info starting with the article "Attack Mechanics".  Then come back and ask more questions.