Ancillary / Epic Pool Proliferation

plainguy

This is has bee asked many times even when COH / COX was initially out. 

Just would be nice to have all the options other Arch Types have for their Ancillary / Epic Pool incorporated for Every other Arch Type. 

For example to name a few Ninja Tool Mastery in Masterminds.  Munition Mastery in Masterminds. 

I know some overlap or almost duplicate but have one power that might be different. Maybe have that as a option for that level. 

For example that would be Mace Mastery for Sentinel and Blaster.  
Sentinels have Web Envelope, Pulverize, Coordinated Targeting, Web Cocoon, Summon Tarantula

Blasters have Web Envelope, Scorpion Shield, Mace Beam Volley, Summon Spiderlings, Web Cocoon

• Like 1

(Nitpick: Archetype. Arch types are architectural features, or something to discuss with your podiatrist. Yes, it's a me thing 🙂 )

The ancillary pools are there to shore up some gaps in what the archetype has. For instance, if you look at melee pools, you won't generally see shields - they've got them in their primary or secondary. Look at a blaster, you'll probably see some sort of shield, but not a ranged attack. Probably a hold or some sort of CC. Meanwhile, that melee character gets ranged attacks, where the blaster doesn't. The controller will get a shield and ranged attack, since it's primarily control and buff/debuff.  So proliferation of that sort won't really happen - a blaster doesn't need another ranged attack in their ancillary.

However, when we come to ancillary pool... "themes," I suppose? Still plenty of room for those to get added - like your ninja tool or munitions examples? I'd love to see that balanced out across the ATs. It's surprising that some don't have dark, for instance, or psi... or, as pointed out, munitions or something else "Gadgety." (It can be argued, I suppose, that mace mastery touches on that, but ... eh....)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

57 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Look at a blaster, you'll probably see some sort of shield, but not a ranged attack.

No single-target ranged attack, but every Blaster ancillary pool has an AoE attack:

Cold Mastery: Ranged AoE slow

Electric Master: Cone damage

Fire Mastery: Location AoE

Force Mastery: Targeted AoE

Munitions Mastery: Sniper AoE

If you mean more themes for ancillary pools, yes please! I dearly want something water or ice themed for my cold/water def, etc.

If you mean cross-class proliferation, I doubt that is a good idea. In particular, it would allow some characters to have even more aoe attacks than they already have. It would be fun to have dark oblit on some of my defs but the game does not need any more aoe than is already in it.

Doms get sleet - please port dominator ice mastery to blasters. Thanks!

In seriousness though, ancillaries cant really be cross AT ported because they are balanced around that particular archetype. You also can't port ancillaries that have powers that are already present in any primary or secondary that archetype has access to.

New ancillaries would be great though and I would 100% prefer some *thoughtful* expansion to ancillary choices for any or all archetypes over having any new super cool amazingly powerful primary/secondary powerset added to the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Currently on fire.

12 hours ago, Miss Magical said:

If you mean more themes for ancillary pools, yes please! I dearly want something water or ice themed for my cold/water def, etc.

If you mean cross-class proliferation, I doubt that is a good idea. In particular, it would allow some characters to have even more aoe attacks than they already have. It would be fun to have dark oblit on some of my defs but the game does not need any more aoe than is already in it.

I will use my above example here.. Ninja Tool Mastery for Masterminds.  Masterminds have Ninja pets.. The Primary has bow attacks, it would be nice to pick up a sword attack for example. 

Game balance wise they can change or remove what is needed.  If there is some rule for only X amount of AOE attacks by all means. 

Currently Sentinels and Blasters have some good choices to expand on a theme. 

I wouldn't mind getting a different pet option then what are listed in some Ancillary/Epic for a specific Archtype ATM.

I just would like to see one day the ability to have OPTION A or OPTION B for a power pick of the same level and not just a power you skipped.  
I think Ancillary and EPIC are a good way to get his introduced, started and tested. 

• Like 1

I know I just keep gravitating this around Masterminds, but just happens to be falling that way..

It would be cool if I could swing a sword with Undead even if it is only a few attacks. 

39 minutes ago, plainguy said:

I know I just keep gravitating this around Masterminds, but just happens to be falling that way..

It would be cool if I could swing a sword with Undead even if it is only a few attacks. 

Theres the iron blade temp power from the croatoa arc.  Unlimited uses and like 3 days duration of logged in time.  And its decent damage too.

• Like 1