The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Hardcore Mode - Trying the Games multiple starting stories

Cyrickain13

So thinking about doing a Hardcore mode - No deaths no pling just me against the COX world.  No deaths - or reroll

Doing 1-50 with villain, hero, praetorian, and warshade -peacebringer. Seeing the COX zones that I have always missed.

Anyone done this?

Build to try on?

Thinking MM or Dom for villain.

4 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

The real hardcore players turn XP off at level 1 and play the game with just the starting powers. And they like it!

NO!  We never leave the tutorial.  Just log and wait for respawn!

• Thumbs Up 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Something with stealth for Praetoria, and even then you'll need to watch for ambushes. Oddly enough my Mind/Empathy Troller did well coming through Goldside despite not having a lot of hitting power. Keep Healing, confuse the enemy and strike from the Shadows. I suppose you could use a Stalker but again, CF ambushes.  Ambushes not as effective against someone who can turn some of them against their friends.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

I've come across 2 similar groups so far. Do a search for Hardcore Rogue-Like and Ironman. The rules are quite similar as well, the most common and obvious is the no P2W lady (buffs, xp boost, enhancements and temp powers) rule. 

There's also a No AE rule, but with some of my toons, I have an amendment that says No AE FARMS, meaning AE content is fair game.

Some have Hobo rules (no help from alts, use only drops) with varying degrees of strictness. There are those that ban the use of AH or limit it to just for selling, for instance, others forbid purchasing IOs and/or recipes or using merits for converters.

There's a group in Reunion that also mandates difficulty per level (i.e. +0 for levels 1-19, +1 for 20-29, +2 for 30-39, +3 for 40-49, and +4 for 50 until alpha T4 is slotted). mob size is not as strict.

A common rule is the perma-death: deletion of character when it dies. But different groups will have varying rules. one group permits the Heritage rule--you can re roll your original toon after death, but append a roman numeral suffix to indicate how many incarnations the toon has (e.g. Badboy IX has had 8 past lives). Some will also allow inheritance, which is the transfer of your current assets at the time of death to the succeeding heir.

Some discourage joining TFs, others have rules for when you can join TFs. I find them extremely risky and do most of mine solo.

And yes, I do have a handful of the "stay at level 1" toons. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Heritage rule sounds like what we did on live with a hardcore SG. Still mad I lost a blaster at 41 and then lost a Plant/fire when we did the same mission next. I believe the first 50 was a Dark/sr scrapper.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

My hardcore moment, back on Live, was dancing in Portal Court with a level 0. No cheats, no teleporters, foot to tram to foot to ferry and all the way up PI without a single XP point. I left him there and he's probably still dancing in some alternate universe.

I also played a few alts "Die For Real" back on Live. Got a few into the 20s, even soloing.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com