Want to play an Australian character. Any good resources to help with the slang or the accent?

the1egend1ives

To spice her up a bit I felt that my villain needed to be a little more exotic in the way she talks. She is an obsessive hunter and collector of dangerous animal species. So I felt like it would make sense for her to be Australian. 

Any good resources that I can use to help me get a handle on the slang? Any videos/movies I should watch or books I should read? I don't want to be cartoonish and over the top Australian. I want it to be authentic. But I also feel like she should use enough lingo to get the point across that she's not from the States.

The late Steve Irwin was as close to a real life equivalent of the main character of the aforementioned movies, and he can therefore also be a good source. Or even better, a better source, no pun intended.

As far as the comic book medium is concerned, and while they may be a bit dated now, as well as hard to find, Eric Jolliffe's Outback 125 and Saltbush Bill could be a pair of good humurous references for that kind of character.

For a more literary source, I would consider at least dipping into the thematics of Australian Bush poetry which is a part of Australian culture that educated non-Australians may have heard, in addition to illustrate genuinely Australian views of the rural parts of their country.

On 11/25/2021 at 10:31 PM, Itikar said:

The late Steve Irwin was as close to a real life equivalent of the main character of the aforementioned movies, and he can therefore also be a good source. Or even better, a better source, no pun intended.

As far as the comic book medium is concerned, and while they may be a bit dated now, as well as hard to find, Eric Jolliffe's Outback 125 and Saltbush Bill could be a pair of good humurous references for that kind of character.

For a more literary source, I would consider at least dipping into the thematics of Australian Bush poetry which is a part of Australian culture that educated non-Australians may have heard, in addition to illustrate genuinely Australian views of the rural parts of their country.

The few Aussies I have met never say "crikey" or say "mate" that much. 

On 11/25/2021 at 9:31 AM, the1egend1ives said:

To spice her up a bit I felt that my villain needed to be a little more exotic in the way she talks. She is an obsessive hunter and collector of dangerous animal species. So I felt like it would make sense for her to be Australian. 

Any good resources that I can use to help me get a handle on the slang? Any videos/movies I should watch or books I should read? I don't want to be cartoonish and over the top Australian. I want it to be authentic. But I also feel like she should use enough lingo to get the point across that she's not from the States.

Try doing this: 

• Like 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

On 12/3/2021 at 11:40 AM, johua said:

IDK about slang but I recommend against typing an accent. It never works.

Just note the accent in your bio or something.

yeah please dont type the accent some of us are not nativ English speakers and have a hard time with some accents typed out

Edited by jkwak
  • Thumbs Up 1

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak