Fix the Clamp!

Alouu

Greetings all, since this subforum came into existence I have been watching and waiting eagerly for someone to make this suggestion and do my work for me! Sadly and to my great surprise this has not come to pass so here I am to put it forward. So, moving on – what is this Clamp thing anyway?

Part 1: What is the Clamp?

In City of Heroes, the chance for any actor be it NPC or Player to hit each-other is determined by the same formula. This formula can be found on the wiki for anyone interested, but I wont go into explaining it in detail here as it isn't necessary to explain what the Clamp's role in it is. Suffice it to say that using the attributes of ToHit, Accuracy and Defense, the final chance of one actor hitting another is derived.

It is this formula in which the Clamp can be found, its role is to prevent players from achieving unlimited damage mitigation through accumulating Defense bonuses. This is achieved by creating a lower bound on the final chance of hitting, arbitrarily set at 5%.  This lower bound is akin to the upper bound found on resistances, which varies from 75-90%. The necessity of this lower bound is not in question, without it Defense would become far more potent than resistance could ever hope to be, however the Clamp also does something else in the formula, and that is to create an upper bound!

The upper bound imposed by the Clamp is designed to add a factor of “randomness” into combat, this bound is again arbitrarily set, this time at 95%. What this means is that even if the Accuracy and Tohit an actor has is enough to give them a chance of hitting their target equal to 95% or greater, their actual chance of hitting will still remain at 95%. To clarify, even if an actor has sufficient accuracy to hit their target 100% of the time, they will still have a final hit chance of 95%. It is this property of the Clamp I take issue with!

Part 2: How should the Clamp be “fixed”?

The image below gives an example of what an organic miss looks like in the combat log. I say that this miss is organic because it is a simple product of my Tohit & Accuracy, as well as the NPC Galaxy's level and its Defense. To put it simply, I basically missed because I wasn't accurate enough and that's all there is to it.

Laenc, a level 50 brute uses Smite on a level 54 Council Galaxy:

YOrV68T.png

This second example demonstrates what a miss manufactured by the Clamp looks like. While it is not possible to determine from this picture alone that this miss is a product of the Clamp, it is highly likely that this is the case considering the level gap and the exactitude of the displayed 95% hit chance. In other words I claim and expect no argument to the fact I would organically have a 100% chance to hit which has been artificially reduced by the Clamp to 95%.

Laenc, a level 50 brute uses Smite on a level 3 Hellion Blood Brother Slammer:

7Lwpw1t.png

Following my explanations of the mechanics of the Clamp thus far, it should hopefully be obvious what my suggestion is for it. I request that the upper bound be changed from 95% to 100%, whilst the lower bound be kept exactly as is. The supposed reasoning for adding random chances to miss into combat where they don't belong is an archaic concept and adds only frustration into the game when a powerful attack you know had no business missing flies right past your target's head!

Part 3: Addressing anticipated qualms.

1: “Misses are part of the game!”

If this is your response then you've grossly misunderstood my suggestion. Misses will still happen all the time in the game with this change implemented, however they will happen at times when the Accuracy, Tohit and Defense of the actors involved dictate that they should, rather than being doled out randomly in addition. While is is true that in general there will be less missing happening overall in the game if this change is implemented, all of those misses that previously were forced by the Clamp were by definition unfairly imposed.

2: “Now I'll have to build for 50% defense to soft cap instead of 45%!”

Nope! That would be the case if I had suggested altering the lower bound of the Clamp, however I did no such thing, and would not dream of ever doing so. Altering the upper bound of the Clamp as no impact whatsoever on the current effectiveness of defense stacking present in the game.

3:  “Now everything will die faster!”

Provided you have a 95% or greater chance to hit your opponents, yes it is true that on average lethality is slightly boosted. However I argue that this isn't a problem for two reasons. The first is that this only really takes place against enemies conning Grey to Yellow, which almost any player or team can steam-roll without any issue regardless and a miss every now and again only slows the process down rather than adding any challenge. When enemies con Orange to Purple, this increase in lethality would indeed be a problem, however at this level of difficulty it also becomes less likely that you do in fact have a chance to hit that is actually above 95%. The second reason I argue this isn't a problem is that removing the clamp works both ways, if an enemy previously had a 95% chance or higher to hit you then that chance also is allowed to go unconstrained now. The effects of this will apply in the same way in regards to the level differential between you and your enemies, where it only really comes into effect against foes conning Orange to Purple.

That's all! Thanks for hearing me out!

/jranger

in pve right now this change (other than breaking the game) would merely kill resistance-based players noticeably faster.  in pvp it would wreck... everything.  however, pve defense sets already need an elusivity component imho, and this entirely precludes that for... a minor dps benefit for a vanishingly small number of players.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

/jranger

in pve right now this change (other than breaking the game) would merely kill resistance-based players noticeably faster.

Reading this comment, I had the distinct feeling you were talking out your backside, so to put it to the test I went on a char with 0 defense, went into an AE farm with the level set to +4 and popped a bunch of oranges. The results are as follows:

YjuzvvE.png

As you probably know, at +4 enemies get an accuracy and hit chance bonus against you, so this is as accurate as they can get unless their powersets also include things like targeting drones and such. Looking at the picture you can see that out of all the attacks I took, only one power from the bosses even had a chance of hitting that was affected by the clamp, all other attacks from all other mobs were not affected. At difficulties lower than +4 this will be even less of a factor.

in pvp it would wreck... everything.

For now let me say, no it bloody well wouldnt and you can find me in RV most days. If you require further proof ill spend a while collecting combat log data to throw your way.

I was going to make this suggestion myself, albeit must less verbosely.  It always annoyed me that you could be hardcapped for accuracy and tohit and the enemy hardcapped for -defense and you'll still randomly miss.  It's not fun, especially when the RNG just decides to roll "hit miss hit miss hit miss" when you should have 100% chance to hit.

I don't think the increase in lethality would be very noticed with how many attacks go flying in team settings anyway.  It'd impact solo/duo/maybe trio more where randomly whiffing your big attack or arbitrarily missing two people in an AoE are more impactful and obvious.

But really, the arbitrarily hit chance cap of 95% just isn't fun.

But thankfully it's not like another game called Avernum 2: Crystal Souls where hit chance was hard capped at 90%.  That was friggin' frustrating.

As you probably know, at +4 enemies get an accuracy and hit chance bonus against you, so this is as accurate as they can get unless their powersets also include things like targeting drones and such. Looking at the picture you can see that out of all the attacks I took, only one power from the bosses even had a chance of hitting that was affected by the clamp

Two out of twenty-one attacks on that screen were affected by clamp, or ~10%.  Further, those are the only two attacks of those 21 from boss class enemies, or 100%.

You were fighting unusually weak enemies for +4, or are otherwise mistaken about your set-up; a +4 minion has a (0.5 * 1.4x =) 70% base hit chance, and 15 of the 21 attacks against you were made at a hit roll of 65%.  If you'd like to re-test against something other than a pack of debuffed minions, you may achieve more interesting results.  I'd particularly encourage you to -- rather than going in with 0 defense -- go in with ~30% defense but no defense debuff resistance, and fight mostly enemies that debuff defense.

in pvp it would wreck... everything.

For now let me say, no it bloody well wouldnt and you can find me in RV most days. If you require further proof ill spend a while collecting combat log data to throw your way.

The tohit clamp occurs sequentially before the accuracy clamp.  Combat log data won't reveal circumstances when, eg, a 140% tohit would be passed to a 0.9 accuracy modifier and result in a guaranteed hit (with your change) vs an ~86% hit chance (now).

You answer what the clamp is, and how you think we should fix it, but you never stop to answer (perhaps you didn't bother to ask to begin with) WHY the clamp needs to be changed. Currently, the only reason I can infer is that you just don't like missing things. But that's not exactly a good enough reason to change the mechanic. And as it stands, nothing is broken by having it in place.

I'm annoyed by whiffs as much as the next player, but I don't see them being game breaking when they happen 5% of the time with maxed accuracy. Big deal, *shrug*, we can kill foes so quickly in this game it doesn't even matter.

Gonna have to +1 the /jranger on this.

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

You were fighting unusually weak enemies for +4, or are otherwise mistaken about your set-up

Yup my bad, I forgot to turn my alpha off.

I'd particularly encourage you to -- rather than going in with 0 defense -- go in with ~30% defense but no defense debuff resistance, and fight mostly enemies that debuff defense.

Well considering your point was that this change would neuter resistance based sets, running into a pack of +4 enemies with powers based around debuffing defense whilst having having around 30 defense myself is a rather rare sitution to have crop up in standard gameplay and whatever result it happens to produce is also a far cry from substantiating the position you've decided to take. With that in mind, ill pass on that for now.

The tohit clamp occurs sequentially before the accuracy clamp.

Inconsequential, only the outer clamp need be changed in order to enable hit chances of 95-100%

Editing this post to squeeze in a response to @Rylas:

Firstly yes it changes very little and is only a minor annoyance. In PvE. I would like to point out though that the smaller the chance of something like this happening is, the more of an important event it is when it does happen. For example if you are soloing an elite boss or something and lets say the clamp was set to 50% rather than 95%, well then both you and your opponent would clearly miss a ton of your powers in that fight you wouldnt be surprised when that happened.  However with the clamp set as it is where it only happens to kick in 5% of the time, you and your opponent fight and this time you both hit all your attacks except for one which misses. Since the chance of that miss happening is now low it has become an unexpected event, and also likely not to happen to both parties participating. So not only is the miss unexpected, but it also becomes a determining factor in the outcome of the fight.

That is my reasoning as to why the clamp is particularly bothersome, however you dont have to accept it. I think even if it is only a minor nuisance, if it only takes the tweaking of a single variable to fix then why not! That is why I did not focus on the why but rather on debunking the "why not" arguements I expected to find.

running into a pack of +4 enemies with powers based around debuffing defense whilst having having around 30 defense myself is a rather rare sitution to have crop up

Not +4; just 'enemies.'  -1, if you'd like, as long as they still get attacks off.  ~30%ish defense is a pretty normal amount on a reasonably kitted res-set toon, but pick whatever amount you feel is best.  Since you're having some trouble, the following villain groups have -Defense powers on all critter ranks:

• Arachnos
  • Banished Pantheon
  • Carnival of Shadows
  • Cimerorans
  • Circle of Thorns
  • Council
  • Crey
  • ...I could move on to groups starting with "D" if you like...

Firstly yes it change very little and are is a minor annoyance. In PvE. I would like to point out though that the smaller the chance of something like this happening is, the more of an important event it is when it does happen. For example if you are soloing an elite boss or something and lets say the clamp was set to 50% rather than 95%, well then both you and your opponent would clearly miss a ton of your powers in that fight you wouldnt be surprised when that happened.  However with the clamp set as it is where it only happens to kick in 5% of the time, you and your opponent fight and this time you both hit all your attacks except for one which misses. Since the chance of that miss happening is now low it has become an unexpected event, and also likely not to happen to both parties participating. So not only is the miss unexpected, but it also becomes a determining factor in the outcome of the fight.

That is my reasoning as to why the clamp is particularly bothersome, however you dont have to accept it. I think even if it is only a minor nuisance, if it only takes the tweaking of a single variable to fix then why not! That is why I did not focus on the why but rather on debunking the "why not" arguements I expected to find.

Being annoyed by a seldom occurrence still isn't solid reasoning for making any kind of change. Considering nothing is broken by having it in place, there's just no good reason to change anything. Which is probably why no one has posted about it to begin with.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

@Jack_Nomind

Here I go getting baited into debunking you again! Here are the results:

https://imgur.com/a/UVeW4e6

I wasnt as scientific as I could have been about it since I wasnt too enthused about having to do this just to show that even your cherrypicked examples dont "kill resistance-based players noticeably faster", but I posit that I was rigorous enough to show you were mostly wrong, again. My methodology was as follows: I disabled all toggles that gave resistance to defense debuffs, leaving only weave and CJ on.* I would then pop 1 purple and enough oranges to reach cosy levels of resistance as well as break frees to allow me to give myself sustain. I then sat in a mob of each enemy group (+4 x8) for roughly 15-20 seconds, enough for defense debuff stacking to take place. I then quit the map restocked on insps and repeated the test, usually 3 times for each enemy group.

*I mistakenly left energy cloak on once.

Here are the groups tested and the results:

Arachnos:

Depending on the composition of the arachnos group, these enemies are indeed able to reach a 95% hit chance in some circumstances. In 2 tests out of 3 this was achieved, with the other test being against a group with less defense debuffers in it. Note: Each time I fought this group I died not because my defense was dropped, but because my endurance was completely sapped.

Lethality Increase: ~3.4%

Banished Pantheon:

The banished pantheon failed 2 tests out of 3, again the amount of defense debuffing depended upon the composition of the group, however they did manage to succeed in one of the tests. It would appear that when stacking -defense a lot depends on the initially low chance of hitting the debuff getting through and being stacked twice, allowing it to snowball into more.

Lethality Increase: ~2%

Carnies:

Similar to the Banished Pantheon, the carnies failed 2 tests out of 3. The snowballing effect I mentioned before seems to be the determiner of success or failure with this enemy group. As with my experience with the arachnos group, it was not the defense debuffs that were the threatening thing about this enemy group, as anyone who has ever faught against carnies will know.

Lethality Increase: ~1.7%

Cimerorans:

This group was only tested once, due to how clearly it would have succeeded on all tests. The composition of the groups or the inital hits needing to coalesce was not a factor with this enemy group since basically all of their attacks do -defense.

Lethality Increase: ~5.2%

CoT:

The Circle of Thorns groups I tested failed all 3 tests, they do not appear to have defense debuffs as claimed.

Lethality Increase: 0%

Council:

The Council groups I tested also failed all 3 tests, they do not appear to have defense debuffs as claimed.

Crey:

They crey group I tested against clearly had no defense debuffs, however I expect it was an atypical mob (almost all "tanks" with a couple of paragon protectors) possibly due to being out of the normal level range crey are encountered in. I only bothered to record my results for tests on this enemy group once.

Overall the lethality increase from all groups tested was 1.75% Yes thats right, even with cherrypicked enemy groups, cherrypicked stats for the "resistance-based" tank I am supposed to be, and with the hardest enemy groups possible +4 and x8, a measly 1.75% increase to lethality was produced. Clearly with anything less, such as enemies at +3 or +2, this result is even less marked. To compound this, two of the groups that actually somewhat succeded in the test (Arachnos and Carnies), have other more threatening qualities in their powersets which would drown out any noticability regarding the lethality difference of their defense debuffs.

As a final thing to note, for these tests I did leave my alpha on again, which reminded me that for a long time throughout the history of the game the "level shift" provided by tier 3 alphas did not exist. I would expect that not even you would argue a 1.75% increase in lethality would undo the decrease in difficulty that was introduced through the introduction of level shift, and the incarnate system as a whole.

CoH is an RPG, and in RPGS, a critical miss is a miss no matter how skilled the PC or NPC is. In Callmof CthulhuC for example, a player can have 100% skill level in say Fencing, but if they roll double zero on those percentage five they’ve missed.

As it stands, the 5% chance to miss no matter what is fair because it applies to both parties in a fight. Your opponent is equally likely to fail and be surprised by whiffing.

MCM

There's simply no good reason to keep in outdated RNG systems like this.

A couple of posters have asked "why" OP feels that the 5% whiff is such a problem, but those posters haven't said why it -isn't- a problem, outside of that they personally have just grown tolerant for it. Aaaaand are now having knee-jerk reactions due to proposed changes to archaic systems that provide nothing good whilst being little more than a nuisance.

Really it was a great post, very well thought out and I couldn't agree more - can't see any reason why people wouldn't want this, outside of being a captain contrarian.

"Sally was actually a virtual construct of code and graphics. Simply put, she was a computer graphic running via a computer simulation. As was Croatoa. And Paragon City and the Rogue Isles. The entire game of City of Heroes actually. None of it was real. ~ Matt Miller (Positron)"

People have actually given their reasons....

I see no need for a change because frankly missing every now and then reminds me that I am not a God. If the rate was reduced even more it would simply feel stupidly easy. Super heroes miss in fights every now and then - this is what allows for the struggle between heroes and villains. If a hero landed every punch that would seem pretty stupid - enemies know how to evade...some do it better than others. The chance of missing is 5% not 10..or 20... 5%. Reducing that percentage takes away some of the "danger" of fighting enemies. You can call it archaic all you want, but the RNG in CoH is way more forgiving than most MMOs.

A couple of posters have asked "why" OP feels that the 5% whiff is such a problem, but those posters haven't said why it -isn't- a problem, outside of that they personally have just grown tolerant for it. Aaaaand are now having knee-jerk reactions due to proposed changes to archaic systems that provide nothing good whilst being little more than a nuisance.

Really it was a great post, very well thought out and I couldn't agree more - can't see any reason why people wouldn't want this, outside of being a captain contrarian.

People have actually given their reasons....

I see no need for a change because frankly missing every now and then reminds me that I am not a God. If the rate was reduced even more it would simply feel stupidly easy. Super heroes miss in fights every now and then - this is what allows for the struggle between heroes and villains. If a hero landed every punch that would seem pretty stupid - enemies know how to evade...some do it better than others. The chance of missing is 5% not 10..or 20... 5%. Reducing that percentage takes away some of the "danger" of fighting enemies. You can call it archaic all you want, but the RNG in CoH is way more forgiving than most MMOs.

So your reasons for keeping this arbitrary 5% to miss is because... roleplay? Sure people have given reasons - but none of them have been good, logical reasons. Also, saying that a 5% chance to miss somehow balances out the insane power scale of the game and makes our characters seem "mortal" is just absurd. Totally absurd. We can jump the height of skyscrapers, call down thunderbolts and such... but we're not God, no, because there's a 5% miss chance.

"Sally was actually a virtual construct of code and graphics. Simply put, she was a computer graphic running via a computer simulation. As was Croatoa. And Paragon City and the Rogue Isles. The entire game of City of Heroes actually. None of it was real. ~ Matt Miller (Positron)"

So your reasons for keeping this arbitrary 5% to miss is because... roleplay? Sure people have given reasons - but none of them have been good, logical reasons. Also, saying that a 5% chance to miss somehow balances out the insane power scale of the game and makes our characters seem "mortal" is just absurd. Totally absurd. We can jump the height of skyscrapers, call down thunderbolts and such... but we're not God, no, because there's a 5% miss chance.

When fighting EB's and AV's, or even named bosses, it seems somewhat unrealistic that they wouldn't be able to avoid at least some % of the attacks you make. What kind of epic villain would Lord Recluse be if he couldn't manage to avoid at least 1 attack?

I get it, missing sucks when it happens. But big deal, it's not the end of the world and at worst it adds, what? A few extra seconds to your encounter? It's not worth getting in a twist over.

When fighting EB's and AV's, or even named bosses, it seems somewhat unrealistic that they wouldn't be able to avoid at least some % of the attacks you make. What kind of epic villain would Lord Recluse be if he couldn't manage to avoid at least 1 attack?

I get it, missing sucks when it happens. But big deal, it's not the end of the world and at worst it adds, what? A few extra seconds to your encounter? It's not worth getting in a twist over.

Yet again just another "well it doesn't bother me!" response. Nobody's getting in a twist, this is just a nice QoL improvement that people are being strangely difficult about.

Don't talk about what's "realistic" please, I'm not even going to entertain that line of argument and I already pointed out why it's silly to mix balance with roleplay. If we're being honest we all know Lord Recluse isn't an "epic villain" because he has been farmed thousands of times over at this point just like all enemies. And if you fought Recluse and beat him, would you really say, "Oh well he wasn't that easy, remember that one attack he avoided, phwoar!"?

This game is beyond powercrept and taking an issue with this small QoL improvement which wouldn't affect the balance of the game is just being difficult. No way around it. Did you guys get this incensed over the Homecoming boys adding instasnipes? Time for some posters here to rethink their priorities.

Along with this change of 100% chance to hit, I demand 100% defense, so that I am never hit, and 100% resistance, so that even if I am hit say due to a debuff or auto-hit attack I won't feel it.

Yeah . . . those make about as much sense.\

No to all.  Including mine.

Along with this change of 100% chance to hit, I demand 100% defense, so that I am never hit, and 100% resistance, so that even if I am hit say due to a debuff or auto-hit attack I won't feel it.

Yeah . . . those make about as much sense.\

No to all.  Including mine.

Except you can still miss with the changes he proposed. Actually the things you compared this to aren't comparable at all, and showed you didn't understand the OP.

Yet again just another "well it doesn't bother me!" response. Nobody's getting in a twist, this is just a nice QoL improvement that people are being strangely difficult about.

Don't talk about what's "realistic" please, I'm not even going to entertain that line of argument and I already pointed out why it's silly to mix balance with roleplay. If we're being honest we all know Lord Recluse isn't an "epic villain" because he has been farmed thousands of times over at this point just like all enemies. And if you fought Recluse and beat him, would you really say, "Oh well he wasn't that easy, remember that one attack he avoided, phwoar!"?

This game is beyond powercrept and taking an issue with this small QoL improvement which wouldn't affect the balance of the game is just being difficult. No way around it. Did you guys get this incensed over the Homecoming boys adding instasnipes? Time for some posters here to rethink their priorities.

Doesn't the original suggestion itself boil down to "well it bothers me"? (Yes, yes it does)

Maybe I'm not following, but wouldn't removing the clamp potentially make a defense-based character invincible? You can't get 100% resistance, can you? But this would allow for 100% defense by removing that 5% guarantee. It seems like even a perfect defense should allow the chance to win through attrition.

So it's not so much "fix it" as "make it the way I want it?"

There are 2 components to the clamp, the suggestion essentially boils down to removing one of those components.

Missing will still be possible, you will miss when your accuracy and tohit isnt sufficient.

Hitting 100% of the time will also be possible, you will hit 100% of the time if your accuracy and tohit is sufficient to do so.

So it's not so much "fix it" as "make it the way I want it?"

It's a suggestion forum. He suggested a "fix" which is according to "the way he wants it". It's really neither here nor there anyway besides you being pedantic about unrelated matters in an attempt to undermine his suggestion.

I wasnt as scientific as I could have been about it since I wasnt too enthused

I'm weirdly impressed by your commitment to bad testing.  FWIW, the CoT Lt and Boss class enemies with defense debuffs are uncommon (the only CoT Lts with -def are Possessed).  The most common Council enemies with defense debuffs are Nebula and Penumbra enemies, although there are scattered others.

I'm not actually out to waste your time, so let me clarify two points here.  First, we already know what the outcome of a perfectly accurate test will be: just about 5% more hits taken in difficult content, with a higher subjective impact if those hits mez or debuff and a lower one if they do not.  That's "noticeable" as far as  I'm concerned.  Second, changing the tohit clamp without changing the accuracy clamp won't accomplish what you initially said you wanted to do; you'll still end up in situations where you see that dreaded 95.00% and popping Aim won't do a thing to change it.