How many converters can a character store in their inventory?

Glacier Peak

2 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that you know this from personal experience. 😆 ... and next logical question... if you have 10k and get 1 more what happens?  I'm guessing that the universe doesn't implode but beyond that logical conclusion what now?

1 hour ago, iBot said:

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that you know this from personal experience. 😆 ... and next logical question... if you have 10k and get 1 more what happens?  I'm guessing that the universe doesn't implode but beyond that logical conclusion what now?

Universe implodes.  That’s why Live shut down.

• Haha 3

Who run Bartertown?

8 hours ago, iBot said:

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that you know this from personal experience.

I wouldn't be surprised if Yomo went through 1,000 converters each day.  I'm also pretty confident none of the serious marketeers deliberately hold onto thousands of converters at any given time -- a converter sitting idle as inventory isn't making you any profit.

It's when you hit 10K boosters or catalysts that you know your life is being misspent. :D

And then there's that fellow who set his personal goal to maxing out all the salvages, including Hero/Villain and incarnate merits. o.O

Converters are current selling around 70k each or, so, so getting 10k of them would only cost 700 million or so. It would just take a while to buy that many without driving up the market price too much.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Andreah Fair point.  I figured some may have that many just from opening packs and never really bothering to use them.  But very true that market players certainly use them much faster than those of us who are too lazy to bother much with converter roulette.

Personally I'd say someone that could spend time buying 10k converters at 10 a stack is life being misspent. 🤪.  Those 1000 clicks are much better spent blasterizing mobs.

20 hours ago, iBot said:

if you have 10k and get 1 more what happens? 

as in get from a in game reward drop?

the balance would remain at the cap. (player would lose out on any earned over the cap)

similar to having a full inspiration tray and another would have filled a spot if available.

get from the market?

player would often be unable to claim any over the cap and get a message indicating same. note: the market is known to glitch at caps and a player could lose some.

it would be a great Easter egg if something interesting happened.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 hours ago, iBot said:

Personally I'd say someone that could spend time buying 10k converters at 10 a stack is life being misspent. 🤪.  Those 1000 clicks are much better spent blasterizing mobs.

I'm a medium-large?-ish? marketeer. I go through a couple hundred converters per day. Considering how fast it is to get converters and less-valuable enhancements,  up-convert and then list those for sale, I'd say this is the very nearly best possible use of minutes and clicks for gaining inf. Maybe multiboxing full teams through farms is close, but we don't measure this in millions of inf per hour, but millions of inf per minute. I just wear out from it after ten or fifteen minutes. :)

I think the difference would be if one enjoyed farming at scale enough to do it hours and hours every day. And then there's the tedious task of selling all that stuff when inventory gets full. 

I feel like I'm drifting us off the OP's topic, so I'll drift a little back that way -- farming for long periods will also pile up converters and other special salvage, and I suppose a farmer might elect to save up each thing until it gets to the cap before listing it out for sale. If so, I think that would use up a lot of market slots -or- if dumped all at once, even the converter market might temporarily get a price crash if someone tried to sell-it-now 10K converters all at once.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh I agree.  Don't misunderstand I'm not saying that in terms of generating inf that using the clicks to blasterize things is more effective or anything.  I just find it more fun than playing the AH.  The only times I've burned through converters is when I'm trying to get a particular ATO or if the set IO piece I want isn't available on the AH so I buy another piece and convert.  I think the most I've ever gone through in one sitting is close to 300.  And I only know that because I used 100 merits to get them and I swear RNGesus gave me the ATO I wanted on the very last pull of convert.

I hadn't thought about farmers but now that you mention it when I did farm I did seem to rack up a large number of converters and catalysts.  But then I'm one of those farmers that never bothered with the marketeering side of the coin.  I just straight up sold everything without crafting first.  I know... I know... I'm a heretic what can I say? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Andreah said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Yomo went through 1,000 converters each day.  I'm also pretty confident none of the serious marketeers deliberately hold onto thousands of converters at any given time -- a converter sitting idle as inventory isn't making you any profit.

I don't work nearly as much or as hard as I once did, but on working days I'll probably go through 2-5k converters.  All of my characters at this point are self-funded, but it's only the factories that I get a little squirrelly about when I'm holding under 1k converters.  The only time I'll aggregate 10k on an alt is if I'm doing some sort of project and I want to track how many converters I used.  As far as unused converters, I probably have plenty of them spread out everywhere.  But then again, I'm a sloppy worker sometimes, and I'd much rather have them and not need them than the reverse.  My inventory management would make my manager scream.

5 hours ago, iBot said:

@Andreah Fair point.  I figured some may have that many just from opening packs and never really bothering to use them.  But very true that market players certainly use them much faster than those of us who are too lazy to bother much with converter roulette.

Well, to me it's not the 1000 clicks, it's the switching to at least 5 different alts in order to do it.   Generally the characters I have that need converters are the ones with the least amount of spare AH slots to buy them.  But they people I really pity are those selling 10k converters at 10 a stack!

• Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

I suggest folks never carry more than 9970 on any character - because, as was referenced above, if you have 10k, and were to earn one - you wouldn't get it. 
Not that I've ever earned 30 in a short time. I think I get about 20-30 from level 1 to 50. 

As far as number of converters, I go through a lot. It's a strange thing. I don't have any "system" so to speak. I have various things I do, but I usually have specific characters that do specific things. 

I get my converters in three different ways...well, four. 
1. Burn Reward merits from packs. 
2. Burn Reward merits from content. 
3. Re-cycle farmers as soon as they reach vet level 48, using their emp merits to exchange into reward merits to exchange into converters. 
4. I buy them in lump sum from ANYONE in my SG that wants to sell them. I'll buy as many as they want to unload. Usually it's 10k or close to that amount. It saves us both a lot of clicking. I don't pay "top" inf, I just pay 70k per. I do it as a courtesy, and I take pains to educate the folks that want to trade them in how they could use them to make more than I'll pay them. Never had anyone change their minds, as I guess I make it sound too much like work. 

I would open it up to just anyone, but each character can only hold so many, and as I said, they're practically free. 

For pvp IOs, I have 2 characters - one places the bids for the recipes, the other carries all the salvage from the AH, brain storm ideas and other alts that accumulate the level appropriate salvage as they level up. Sometimes, 200 slots just aren't enough. Yesterday, I gobbled up 600 pvp recipes and crafted and converted the trash into gold. I think I went through about 3800 converters. Took me about an hour. I was on hold on the phone for half that, lol. 

I feel as if I should add, I don't do PvP IOs all the time. Only when the price creeps up above the current 8m threshold. Last weekend, I saw them seemingly go above 10M. No idea why; there was plenty of supply. Could have been a UI glitch, but it showed for all the big three. So, figured I'd take advantage, place 'em for 8m, and for the first couple of days, I kept getting 10M, give or take a smidge. Only the past couple of days has price returned to previous levels, so I stopped bidding, but still had a ton to craft.

Edited by Xaddy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh my. Someone's been paying a fortune for converters, or the display glitch is impacting them. 200K, nestled in amongst 100k, 101k...they were 70k most of yesterday. 

Only 504 left.  Get 'em while they're hot. (I don't mean buy 'em. Sell 'em! That seems like a pretty good price for something so easily obtained. ) 

image.png.16380f309972c9f99a74776eae576f4a.png