level 12-19 yellow and orange recipes

wjrasmussen

what do people usually do with these level 12-19 yellow and orange recipes?  Aren't they worthless?

Also be aware that the AH up and down converts levels on recipes (and enhancements) automatically, so you can sell a level 15 orange recipe and someone else can buy that recipe as a level 50 recipe.  This has had some . . . interesting . . . effects on the market.  One of which is that you can often get a couple hundred thousand on that level 13 yellow Doctored Wounds recipe, or something. 

what do people usually do with these level 12-19 yellow and orange recipes?  Aren't they worthless?

Also be aware that the AH up and down converts levels on recipes (and enhancements) automatically, so you can sell a level 15 orange recipe and someone else can buy that recipe as a level 50 recipe.  This has had some . . . interesting . . . effects on the market.  One of which is that you can often get a couple hundred thousand on that level 13 yellow Doctored Wounds recipe, or something.

Scientist - seriously forgive my skepticism, but is there documentation or can someone else confirm this behavior? - it would totally change how I approach the AH...

Again, forgive my doubt, but it's so counter intuitive to me that I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around it...Old dogs, new tricks ya know!

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Scientist - seriously forgive my skepticism, but is there documentation or can someone else confirm this behavior? - it would totally change how I approach the AH...

Again, forgive my doubt, but it's so counter intuitive to me that I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around it...Old dogs, new tricks ya know!

It's pretty easy to check this yourself. Pick a recipe (or an enhancement) and compare the bid history between multiple levels. You'll see that all levels of the same IO have the same number of buy and sell orders and the same last five sales.

The market uses this sort of bracketing for a lot of items. All salvage items of the same rarity are bracketed. For set IO recipes all recipes of the smae IO are bracketed irregardless of level. The same applies to crafted set IOs except that the attuned version is also part of the bracket (so you can buy attuned IOs for the same price as regular IOs meaning catalysts are only needed to upgrade ATEs and Winter IOs. For Hamidon enhancements all levels are bracketed plus Regular and Synthetic HOs share a bracket.

Defender Smash!

It's pretty easy to check this yourself. Pick a recipe (or an enhancement) and compare the bid history between multiple levels. You'll see that all levels of the same IO have the same number of buy and sell orders and the same last five sales.

The market uses this sort of bracketing for a lot of items. All salvage items of the same rarity are bracketed. For set IO recipes all recipes of the smae IO are bracketed irregardless of level. The same applies to crafted set IOs except that the attuned version is also part of the bracket (so you can buy attuned IOs for the same price as regular IOs meaning catalysts are only needed to upgrade ATEs and Winter IOs. For Hamidon enhancements all levels are bracketed plus Regular and Synthetic HOs share a bracket.

Well it would have been difficult for me right now, since I'm not in-game for the rest of the day...

Are there excepts?  Is it all Enhancements?  All Salvage?  All Recipes?  (That would be a lot of checking for me, so if there is an easier answer/resource I would love it).  Thanks Adeon for the follow-up...appreciate it

Like I said, for my poor feeble brain, it sounds counter-intuitive, but I believe it now!

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

All common salvage goes int one pool/bucket.

All uncommon salvage goes into one pool/bucket.

All rare salvage goes into one pool/bucket.

All recipes of a given type (say, Positron Blast Accuracy/Damage) go into one pool regardless of level.

All IOs go into a similar bucket by type, so there's a bucket for all Positron Blast Accuracy/Damage IOs.  Note that this also includes attuned versions, you can buy an attuned version of any IO from the same bucket as a regular version.

These changes were made on the SCORE server partly to benefit a smaller pool of players, and partly to prevent the sort of scarcity issues that one saw even on the live servers, where people might manipulate the market for Luck Charms, making them unavailable unless you paid hundreds of thousands of influence per piece, or where recipes at certain lower or mid levels weren't available at all because few people played at those levels.  (There was a market forum - led group called Midlevel Crisis, whose entire goal was to supply the market with recipes in the low to mid levels because there often weren't any available).

I like these changes and hope they remain for the Homecoming servers.  It means that if you have 3 of a given recipe available, it doesn't matter if they are available at level 13, 17, and 27, I can buy them at the highest level the recipe exists, or conversely I could buy them at level 10 if it's something like a Miracle +recovery where there's no particular benefit to it being a higher level, and I can slot it on my low level characters as soon as possible.  It also means there are  fewer "junk" recipes, because your level 39 Positron's Blast is still useful for a level 50 character.

Interesting.  This is obviously working against me at the moment, since I'm actually buying the low level recipes.  I'm competing against the higher valued recipes when I shouldn't have to be.  As in, I shouldn't have to be willing to pay for a level 50 when I want a level 26.

Interesting.  This is obviously working against me at the moment, since I'm actually buying the low level recipes.  I'm competing against the higher valued recipes when I shouldn't have to be.  As in, I shouldn't have to be willing to pay for a level 50 when I want a level 26.

Actually it's probably working for you. Historically the price of lower level enhancements was kind of high due to the incredibly limited supply. Since a high percentage of recipes are generated at level 50 this increases the supply for lower level recipes.

Defender Smash!

I think that polemic, that the most recipes are generated by players playing at level 50, was kind of skewed at the start here on Homecoming, because everyone was playing low levels to begin with.  I noticed that early on, something like a Steadfast Protection IO that you'd expect to be in short supply actually wasn't.  That's changing week by week as more people get to level 50.  The longer Homecoming is around, the more level 50 recipes you'll see on the market, and the fewer lower level recipes (my prediction anyway).

Not to bring up a dead horse, but does this mechanic apply to SO's sold/bought on the market as well?

I usually sell my SO's and see if I can't find a few bargains, but I just listed a lvl 24, lvl 27, and lvl 28 Dragon Strike (Natural Damage SO), and all 3 had completely different sales histories...

Can someone esplain this?  I'm confused...

I think that polemic, that the most recipes are generated by players playing at level 50, was kind of skewed at the start here on Homecoming, because everyone was playing low levels to begin with.  I noticed that early on, something like a Steadfast Protection IO that you'd expect to be in short supply actually wasn't.  That's changing week by week as more people get to level 50.  The longer Homecoming is around, the more level 50 recipes you'll see on the market, and the fewer lower level recipes (my prediction anyway).

I seem to recall the mods seeded the market with stuff in the beginning too, so that should be factored in as well.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

This behavior is also increasing the supply of certain desirable recipes significantly because of constrained conversion in lower or higher brackets.

For example, a level 30 Impervious Skin enhancement will cross set convert to any defense set IO.  A level 10 one, however, cross set converts only to Steadfast Protection.  People want Steadfast Protection +Def IOs, and you only need an average of  8 enhancement converters to turn any level Impervious Skin someone puts up into a Steadfast Protection +Def IO.  Since its about 1 million inf and 20 seconds of clicking to do that transformation, it puts upward pressure on the Impervious Skin IO prices and downward pressure on the Steadfast Protection Defense IO price.

All common salvage goes int one pool/bucket.

All uncommon salvage goes into one pool/bucket.

All rare salvage goes into one pool/bucket.

All recipes of a given type (say, Positron Blast Accuracy/Damage) go into one pool regardless of level.

All IOs go into a similar bucket by type, so there's a bucket for all Positron Blast Accuracy/Damage IOs.  Note that this also includes attuned versions, you can buy an attuned version of any IO from the same bucket as a regular version.

These changes were made on the SCORE server partly to benefit a smaller pool of players, and partly to prevent the sort of scarcity issues that one saw even on the live servers, where people might manipulate the market for Luck Charms, making them unavailable unless you paid hundreds of thousands of influence per piece, or where recipes at certain lower or mid levels weren't available at all because few people played at those levels.  (There was a market forum - led group called Midlevel Crisis, whose entire goal was to supply the market with recipes in the low to mid levels because there often weren't any available).

I like these changes and hope they remain for the Homecoming servers.  It means that if you have 3 of a given recipe available, it doesn't matter if they are available at level 13, 17, and 27, I can buy them at the highest level the recipe exists, or conversely I could buy them at level 10 if it's something like a Miracle +recovery where there's no particular benefit to it being a higher level, and I can slot it on my low level characters as soon as possible.  It also means there are  fewer "junk" recipes, because your level 39 Positron's Blast is still useful for a level 50 character.

I saw in another post, that someone was looking to buy level 10 standard IO's.  Are the standard IO's (non-set) also a part of this mechanic?  Or are they sold by level...

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,4565.msg34520.html#msg34520

No, this doesn't apply to common IOs, SOs, DOs, etc.

This only applies to things that are special and rare: set IOs, Hami-Os, etc. And salvage.

Thanks again!  +1 Inf Robotech Master!

I don't think hami-os are bucketed. Or if they are there's some insane market swings within like 2 minutes. I needed two on my last build and the travel one cost about fifty million more than the other. Has been a large range when selling my lrsf drops too.

I don't think hami-os are bucketed. Or if they are there's some insane market swings within like 2 minutes. I needed two on my last build and the travel one cost about fifty million more than the other. Has been a large range when selling my lrsf drops too.

They are bracketed but not between types. Regular and Synthetic HOs share a bracket for the same type as do lower level HOs (if you want one for leveling) but different types of HOs are not bracketed. So you can convert a Synthetic Membrane Enhancement into a Membrane Enhancement but not a Lysome Enhancement/

Defender Smash!