Casual Server?

Maestro Mavius

1 hour ago, Loc said:

Buffers and debuffers especially are almost always wanted on speedies I don't know what you guys are on about...

I think it’s the KIND of buffs/debuffs that are desirable on fast teams. “Defensive” supports that offer +def, +res, healing, or -tohit, May be less desirable on speedy teams than Offense oriented supports that can do +recharge, +damage, or -res effects. It’s one reason why kins are so popular, even on high end teams, because you can always kill things faster but you might not need an empath because fast teams don’t always need defensive buffs or heals (especially with inspirations).

Edited by Unclemarty

REMOVE ALL SUPPORT ATs BLASTERS AND SCRAPPERS ONLY GGEZ

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

1 hour ago, Loc said:

That's the thing. Almost 0 speeders would turn that down. It's just wrong

They were closer to being speeders than most roleplaying types, I'd say. More-so than they'd want to admit, I suspect. But full-on, competitive speedrunners who were experts at it? Nah. They were just marginally serious players who were trying to go for efficiency. They weren't out to break time records... They just wanted to get through the weekly TFs/SFs as quickly as they could and didn't think my supports would help them do that. At least, not as well as other types of characters could. 

For what it's worth, I don't think I ever saw anyone bring a Controller or a Dom along on those taskforce runs, either. Khedians of either type, likewise, though I do remember one person bringing a crab-spider "spidermind" VEAT along pretty regularly.  

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

5 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

You can only hear the friends putting together the teams say, "We probably won't need your [Defender X] with this group. Bring [DPS Chatacter Y] instead? It'll make things go faster" so many times before you realize just how unwanted those support types are.

I guess my mileage varies.  I have literally NEVER heard that except when I volunteered to bring a different character if something else was needed.

But that volunteering is on *MY* terms and only when *I* feel like it.

Also, I observe that you say it's 'friends' saying this and they're asking for a specific other character, indicating they are familiar with you and your stable of characters.  Based on that, I would say you need to find better people to hang around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

3 hours ago, Ironblade said:

I guess my mileage varies.  I have literally NEVER heard that except when I volunteered to bring a different character if something else was needed.

Also, I observe that you say it's 'friends' saying this and they're asking for a specific other character, indicating they are familiar with you and your stable of characters.  Based on that, I would say you need to find better people to hang around.

This has been my experience with BSOD, the SG I run with. We may occasionally plot and scheme but it's always us doing that together. Not once have I ever been asked to bring something else to anything. If one amongst us senses it might be good, we offer.

20 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

This has been my experience with BSOD, the SG I run with. We may occasionally plot and scheme but it's always us doing that together. Not once have I ever been asked to bring something else to anything. If one amongst us senses it might be good, we offer.

*Occasionally* plot and scheme?

With us, where Vengeance is a mandatory pick?

Come on now. 😏

• Like 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

9 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

They were closer to being speeders than most roleplaying types, I'd say. More-so than they'd want to admit, I suspect. But full-on, competitive speedrunners who were experts at it? Nah. They were just marginally serious players who were trying to go for efficiency. They weren't out to break time records... They just wanted to get through the weekly TFs/SFs as quickly as they could and didn't think my supports would help them do that. At least, not as well as other types of characters could. 

For what it's worth, I don't think I ever saw anyone bring a Controller or a Dom along on those taskforce runs, either. Khedians of either type, likewise, though I do remember one person bringing a crab-spider "spidermind" VEAT along pretty regularly.  

I'm gonna try and give some perspective here as someone who speeds almost daily cause I think there's some really broad generalizations going on here. I'm not saying any of you are lying when you say that your AT was rejected in a speedy. There are some people who'll do that occasionally because they're trying to get a good time. I know most of these people and the reason is not because they hate your AT or you as a player or anything like that. (To be clear some of them might actually hate that AT but that's not the reason for the rejection) It's cause getting that number is fun to them just like some of you would reject someone speeding to the objective in your team because having that slower grind is fun to you. I think it's totally okay for both of these things to happen. It's why I said that being upfront about what you're doing in the LFG message or before starting the TF is important so people are on the same page.

The reality is that in the VAST majority of speedies nobody really cares about what you bring. I host speedies and have never rejected ATs unless it was a speed MO where you need a somewhat good team makeup. In fact I don't really care if you're below 50 and will let a 45 join my speedies if they so desire. While most speeders probably expect you to be 50+1 that where the requirements end in 95% of the cases. And everyone can easily become 50+1 doing any content they desire.

Getting instructions is another thing. I'll personally always do so if asked but that is not something every speeder will do. However if that happens once or twice don't give up and just keep joining teams if you wanna learn speeding. You will start getting the hang of it and you will encounter people who'll take the time to teach you some stuff that you just can't figure out by yourself.

Edited by Loc
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Ironblade said:

There was no malice intended, guys. No one ranted about it or acted like an ass-hat about it... They just requested something different. They knew me and what I could potentially bring to the party fairly well at that point, and they also knew that if they asked for something other than what I'd brought, I was willing to switch. Doing that is just a point of courtesy as far as I'm concerned. Ditching the group entirely over it seems like an over-reaction.

Anyway, my issue with the support characters in my crew just is what it is... Most don't really have a good niche, so they end up not being played. If your experience has been different? Good! You've had better luck than I have. Enjoy it. Embrace it. Go forth and kick copious digital butt... I'm just going to be over here tinkering with builds, trying to figure out exactly how I want to turn some neglected teamers into solo terrors. 

• Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 1/18/2022 at 4:41 AM, JnEricsonx said:

Hell, one of my Stalkers I had someone ask me if he was part tank because NOTHING hit him.

I think this is the part of it that frustrates me the most. Not your stalker, that is... but once players get all kitted out it's like team roles cease to exist. When one of the "steamroll everything" players joins, it doesn't matter what AT they are, stalker, blaster, troller, they still tank better than actual tank ATs (played by casual players). 

Not to say this is a bad thing... players put in a ton of time and inf to be able to do that, and admittedly it's pretty badass. I think it's more the lack of team mentality some of these players have when exemplaring down to lowbie teams. If a vet level player is running a lowbie TF "speed for accolade" or whatever, then sure, I'll join and expect a steamroll. But if an actual lowbie player is running a normal TF and I join with my 50 because I need the badge (or just want to), I'll do my best to fit into the team dynamic and support rather than trying to flex on all the noobs. 

(not trying to say you do that, your post just gave me the idea where to start my thought) 

I've had the same woes as OP and ultimately my solution was to run my own teams and be selective about how I advertise in LFG, and the steamroll types either don't join or they get bored and leave. "15 minute break to fiddle with enhancements" tends to make them quit immediately while more casual players actually appreciate the downtime instead of madly rushing from mission to mission.

On 1/17/2022 at 5:36 PM, Dazl said:

Now I am guilty of using my incarnates on lower level content, but when I do join a team I focus on helping the team not myself.

This too! I actually just respec'd my PB to take only support powers at lower levels (heal, TP, grant invis, etc) so that the lower I exemp, the more "support only" I become. Then at higher levels I have all my shiny hard-hitting powers. 

@Maestro Mavius I also play on Exelsior and would totally team up with you sometime. I've only got one 50 and the rest of my toons are scattered all over the place. My global is @Streets 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, flinlock said:

I think this is the part of it that frustrates me the most. Not your stalker, that is... but once players get all kitted out it's like team roles cease to exist. When one of the "steamroll everything" players joins, it doesn't matter what AT they are, stalker, blaster, troller, they still tank better than actual tank ATs (played by casual players). 

Not to say this is a bad thing... players put in a ton of time and inf to be able to do that, and admittedly it's pretty badass. I think it's more the lack of team mentality some of these players have when exemplaring down to lowbie teams. If a vet level player is running a lowbie TF "speed for accolade" or whatever, then sure, I'll join and expect a steamroll. But if an actual lowbie player is running a normal TF and I join with my 50 because I need the badge (or just want to), I'll do my best to fit into the team dynamic and support rather than trying to flex on all the noobs. 

(not trying to say you do that, your post just gave me the idea where to start my thought) 

I've had the same woes as OP and ultimately my solution was to run my own teams and be selective about how I advertise in LFG, and the steamroll types either don't join or they get bored and leave. "15 minute break to fiddle with enhancements" tends to make them quit immediately while more casual players actually appreciate the downtime instead of madly rushing from mission to mission.

This too! I actually just respec'd my PB to take only support powers at lower levels (heal, TP, grant invis, etc) so that the lower I exemp, the more "support only" I become. Then at higher levels I have all my shiny hard-hitting powers. 

@Maestro Mavius I also play on Exelsior and would totally team up with you sometime. I've only got one 50 and the rest of my toons are scattered all over the place. My global is @Streets 🙂

I spent about 200 mill+ on getting stuff that put my char's defenses past the softcap.  That plus the Katana parry....  If you have a melee character, you tend to work on boosting their defenses.

A Heroes greatest strength is the ability to adapt to any situation. I've taken some advice from here and it's currently working out rather well. I think the main problem I was having was due to running TF's exclusively. Speed or Kill All, didn't seem to matter, I'd always be paired with billon inf builds that didn't need a team. 

So I switched to looking for/forming radio mission teams, or story arc teams and it's been like night and day. Now when the 'tricked out' 50 joins they don't tend to run off solo as much, and the vast majority of my team are peers at my level. I'm getting to use all my powers to the fullest and have time to come up with nifty ways to utilize them instead of having them collect dust on my tray. 

My 2 mains currently are an Illusion/Time controller named Save Point and a Storm/Water Defender named Super Weatherman. I'll keep an eye out for those that offered to roll with me! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Thread Necro!  But I have a really good reason! (or not). THIS:

image.png.f11da79a718e405c20d8152f44820fd7.png

Only you can prevent Long Riders like Tracklash from running alone (and befriending and talking to pallets and big spools).

Join. Because a mind like Trackie's (by itself) is just a terrible thing.

[FYI: I am up and running, and can reply to anyone wanting to take the Rider plunge. Global is my siggie: @cranebump. H'YAH!

• Haha 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.