Is defeat just an inconvenience?

Glacier Peak

This is a bigger issue for me than I like.  Any game I play I want to have as much logic as possible.  This helps with immersion.  Defeats complicate this greatly

This is one reason I favor Villains.  Immersion. You are killing people and taking their stuff.  Heroes are “arresting” people and, erm, “confiscating their influence?”   For safekeeping?  The greater good…. O bother

The defeat issue is one reason I favor undead and robots.  Or a personal favorite undead robot mashup.  Try keeping that monstrosity down!

But, yes, in every game defeats are just an inconvenience 

I am playing another MMORPG a lot recently and they have areas that look EXACTLY like the are they send you to quest in, a few yards away, instant death.  So you kind of have to just swallow the immersion pill and suffer

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/19/2022 at 4:18 PM, Glacier Peak said:

I'd like to hear other players perspectives. For me, being defeated causes me to do two things, select a resurrection option (self-rez insp, temp, p2w power, or RotF, Revive, ask teammate for rez insp or rez power, select my base resurrection, select the hospital, or in-mission hospital for some) and receive a certain amount of debt after... Level 10 I believe?

The former is trivial and the latter is insignificant to me. I may experience a slight delay in my efforts during solo play by returning to the battle or the team may or may not have to wait for me to get back in to the action. Debt itself seems insignificant to me because, well, it's just gone so quickly I never really notice it. (Not like the old legacy days where I would've deleted a character and started over when faced with *levels* not bars of debt).

Anyway, what's the impact to you upon being defeated?

If I'm playing an expensive, well-researched build and don't reasonably expect defeat:

startrek-trek.gif

• Haha 5

On 1/19/2022 at 9:50 PM, Erratic1 said:

Besides, defeat is embarrassing if you are teaming, especially as a melee class as it does not project the proper image.

The realistic prospect of failure should be present in a story for it to be interesting.

That's why some of the CoH stories are great. They end in failure no matter what, or at the very least success at great cost.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

2 hours ago, Herotu said:

The realistic prospect of failure should be present in a story for it to be interesting. 

I do not disagree, but that does not change that the goal is to not be defeated or that there is embarrassment when it occurs.