Is defeat just an inconvenience?

Glacier Peak

I'd like to hear other players perspectives. For me, being defeated causes me to do two things, select a resurrection option (self-rez insp, temp, p2w power, or RotF, Revive, ask teammate for rez insp or rez power, select my base resurrection, select the hospital, or in-mission hospital for some) and receive a certain amount of debt after... Level 10 I believe?

The former is trivial and the latter is insignificant to me. I may experience a slight delay in my efforts during solo play by returning to the battle or the team may or may not have to wait for me to get back in to the action. Debt itself seems insignificant to me because, well, it's just gone so quickly I never really notice it. (Not like the old legacy days where I would've deleted a character and started over when faced with *levels* not bars of debt).

Anyway, what's the impact to you upon being defeated?

• Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Just now, Psyonico said:

I love this! I forgot about the days of Vengeance stacking (at least before when that could be done). Vengeance is still an amazing buff to use.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

23 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Anyway, what's the impact to you upon being defeated?

Now? None, really. Maybe a brief wait.

Back in the day of 1.1m debt caps, less content, etc? It meant a slog for my "how many levels with how much debt?" blaster trying to get from the mid-late 30s to 40 so I could get contacts again.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I've lost?

I figure whoever is competing for a boxing or MMA titles does not think, "If I win I am the champion and get paid a lot of money and if I lose I am not the champion but get paid a lot of money even if less than winning so either way I get paid a lot of money."

My goal is to not be defeated and to avoid defeat while fighting as difficult a setting as I can.

Besides, defeat is embarrassing if you are teaming, especially as a melee class as it does not project the proper image.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

I've lost?

I figure whoever is competing for a boxing or MMA titles does not think, "If I win I am the champion and get paid a lot of money and if I lose I am not the champion but get paid a lot of money even if less than winning so either way I get paid a lot of money."

My goal is to not be defeated and to avoid defeat while fighting as difficult a setting as I can.

Besides, defeat is embarrassing if you are teaming, especially as a melee class as it does not project the proper image.

I get this perspective. In a game where gameplay is conducted while not being defeated, the only recourse while being defeated seems to just be potential embarrassment. Though as other posters have pointed out, it is actually a benefit if this happens when someone on the team has Vengeance.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Just now, Glacier Peak said:

I hear that!

I am curious, of the top of anyone's head do they know if Patrol XP pays off Debt? If I can pop the Experienced temp, does that eat away at debt?

Absolutely.  I get my 200k debt at level 30 by snagging an experienced booster (for a character I'm actively playing) and I've got the badge before I leave Monster Island.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Glacier Peak said:

I get this perspective. In a game where gameplay is conducted while not being defeated, the only recourse while being defeated seems to just be potential embarrassment. Though as other posters have pointed out, it is actually a benefit if this happens when someone on the team has Vengeance.

I am not there to be someone else's Vengeance enabler. Not even on my blasters. 😛

Though now I am wondering about making a character designed to easily be defeated...say after spreading worthwhile buffs. Perhaps a Defender named The Defeated.

• Thumbs Up 1

Play hardcore and then so how small defeat feels.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

It's the only way to clear the hubris debuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Not sure if this is just an interesting meta-question or something more focused. What would be the options? No defeat (you just lose points or something?) or having to restart the level (ouch!)?

OTOH, what does defeating any foe "mean"? Nothing, really, because gray Warrior to GM, they'll be right back, too.

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

8 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Not sure if this is just an interesting meta-question or something more focused. What would be the options? No defeat (you just lose points or something?) or having to restart the level (ouch!)?

OTOH, what does defeating any foe "mean"? Nothing, really, because gray Warrior to GM, they'll be right back, too.

From a gameplay perspective. Being defeated means something - but what does it mean to a player? That is my question.

Pocket D Zone Tour

I wake up my dogs with some foul language.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

5 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

From a gameplay perspective. Being defeated means something - but what does it mean to a player? That is my question.

Okay. That's what I thought.

With my current alt, a 40s blaster I mostly solo, and a plethora of Malta arcs, being defeated means, "Gahdammit, I didn't see that Sapper." 🙂

And in general, that's how I regard defeat. Sigh, dust off, try not to repeat the mistake.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

3 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

I wake up my dogs with some foul language.

You can wake up your dogs? Wow. My Danes will sleep through anything I do except crinkle a bread wrapper.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don’t take death seriously most of the time. Even if I’m dead in the thick of a huge battle, it is usually adequate to execute a quick Awaken + Break Free + Catch a Breath + Turn on Super Speed and Zip Around a Corner maneuver if you have teammates around to cover you. And if I’m dead I was probably ignoring my inspirations, so it’s rare to be unable to do that. Debt has been reduced to the slightest tickle. There just isn’t any real

consequence for death unless perhaps you’re solo and actually have to use the hospital button once in a blue moon. And quietly saying “For Frodo” right before you charge recklessly towards certain death is fun enough to mitigate whatever semblance of consequence is left over.

Edited by arcane
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2