Is defeat just an inconvenience?

Glacier Peak

Have you lost your mind?

Being defeated is inevitable.  And, as previously pointed out, necessary for badge progress.

Devs putting timers on missions and then adding a LOT of difficulty in achieving goal.... that is infuriating.  Dying?  meh.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Does that lack of concern for any pending defeat make folks feel more super? Empowered?

Less abused by developers who felt an inordinate need to punish players when the sense of failure tends to be punishment enough?

Yes.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Debt XP can be made up in fairly short order. While annoying, I'm reminded of MMO deaths of yore...specifically EverQuest, where in the early years, people banked secondary suits of armor and weaponry, as the inventory stayed on your corpse when you dropped, and there was X amount of time to get to a corpse before it decayed...taking all your stuff with it. In that regard, newer MMO's have it easy.

My biggest issue is the run back if I can't rez. If I'm the back of a map, and have to run back through, after going across the main zone from the hospital. 🙄

• Like 1

Well, there is no impact (unless I'm on my main, and then I get kind of happy because yay, closer to my next death badge), but I'm not sure what your underlying question is.  Are you suggesting that deaths should "mean something" like a serious (multi-level) debit? 

On live there was this awesome SG that lived by the motto, "dead means dead."  If your toon died, you had to delete it (or later, just remove it from the SG).  That was a serious consequence to dying, and it really made game-play interesting (for obvious reason, with attention focused on survival first, sort of like on MO runs, where teams function differently because the goal has been complicated by the need for every single member to survive.).

Back to the original question:  The only time I really bum about deaths is a team wipe.  That's not fun.  It's not fun at all.  Not because we "lose" anything, per se, but because it is horrifying that an entire team is wiped out.  Then we all regroup, have a quick chat (gee, maybe we shouldn't reenter the battle one at a time? heh).

As a badger, I'd love a "So Ashamed I Could DIE" badge for being part of a team wipe.  That would make me happy.  Happy's an impact, right?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tahliah said:

Well, there is no impact (unless I'm on my main, and then I get kind of happy because yay, closer to my next death badge), but I'm not sure what your underlying question is.  Are you suggesting that deaths should "mean something" like a serious (multi-level) debit? 

On live there was this awesome SG that lived by the motto, "dead means dead."  If your toon died, you had to delete it (or later, just remove it from the SG).  That was a serious consequence to dying, and it really made game-play interesting (for obvious reason, with attention focused on survival first, sort of like on MO runs, where teams function differently because the goal has been complicated by the need for every single member to survive.).

Back to the original question:  The only time I really bum about deaths is a team wipe.  That's not fun.  It's not fun at all.  Not because we "lose" anything, per se, but because it is horrifying that an entire team is wiped out.  Then we all regroup, have a quick chat (gee, maybe we shouldn't reenter the battle one at a time? heh).

As a badger, I'd love a "So Ashamed I Could DIE" badge for being part of a team wipe.  That would make me happy.  Happy's an impact, right?

Team wipes definitely FEEL that way. The impact is immediate and likely equal to all members (unless THEY were the one who pulled too many enemies and the AV in to the group lol).

• Haha 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

I pretty much only play 50 stuff, so if I (or someone near me) dies, it's probably because something stupid and/or amusing has happened.  After a chuckle or a mutter, I usually fart out whatever old-person exclamation pops into my head at the moment, like "SOMETHING BIT ME!" or "HE HATES THOSE CANS!" then click whatever button gets me off the floor.

For whatever reason, youtube is bereft of my reaction to defeat in other games (basically, that moment Flynn realizes CLU has been excised by the MCP and he acts like the keyboard actually caused him physical harm.)

• Like 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

I type out: "Nooooo, [name]!" and if I've got room to breathe I'll add stuff like 'why god, why couldn't be me!?' and 'they were so young and vibrant!' and then when they're rezzed a second later I go 'oh they're fine, nvm'

That is what is defeat is to me.

Oh when I die? 

I just go "Aw nerts!"

• Like 2

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

6 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

I'd like to hear other players perspectives

I try to do my best not be be defeated in combat. I don't want to see my teammates falling in battle either.

Falling back is better than defeat. Escaping through the mission entrance is better than defeat.

If I do fall in combat, I try to do what is best for my team. That can mean trying to rez myself in a bad situation. I don't go to the base or a hospital when I'm on a team if i can help it.

The point of most games it to defeat the enemy without being defeated yourself.

6 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Anyway, what's the impact to you upon being defeated?

When other people could fall back instead of blindly rushing ahead, they threaten the survivability of the whole team.

One player falling in battle can cause a domino effect to the rest of the team.

If you want to blindly kill yourself repeatedly because you don't mind dying, I would suggest soloing ... because you really aren't working with or concerned about the others that you are teaming with.

Of course, you could be on a whole teams full people that think the same way you do.

I'm glad I'm not on that kind of team. If I find myself on that kind of team, I leave.

I remember one time before the sunset.

I was on a low level team. I think there was only like 5 on the team.

We get to a mission and spawn inside. One player arrives late. We are standing around inside waiting for them.

They spawn in and immediately run into the first mobs. The rest of the team starts attacking, but they die.

They immediately respawn to the hospital.

We wait for them to get back because the hospital wasn't that far away.

They spawn in and immediately run into the next mob. The rest of the team is already fighting, but they die.

The rest of the team starts chatting about what is going on with this player rushing to their death.

They spawn in and immediately run into the crowd and die.

The team just ignoring them and ran the mission.

The renegade player keeps rushing in, dying, going to the hospital, running back to the mission, and repeating.

lol's were rampant in chat. People shook their heads in disbelief. 

What was that player thinking? Where they a young player? or did they just not care about dying?

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

I try to do my best not be be defeated in combat. I don't want to see my teammates falling in battle either.

Falling back is better than defeat. Escaping through the mission entrance is better than defeat.

If I do fall in combat, I try to do what is best for my team. That can mean trying to rez myself in a bad situation. I don't go to the base or a hospital when I'm on a team if i can help it.

The point of most games it to defeat the enemy without being defeated yourself.

When other people could fall back instead of blindly rushing ahead, they threaten the survivability of the whole team.

If you want to blindly kill yourself repeatedly because you don't mind dying, I would suggest soloing ... because you really aren't working with or concerned about the others that you are teaming with.

Of course, you could be on a whole teams full people that think the same way you do.

I'm glad I'm not on that kind of team. If I find myself on that kind of team, I leave.

I remember one time before the sunset.

I was on a low level team. I think there was only like 5 on the team.

We get to a mission and spawn inside. One player arrives late. We are standing around inside waiting for them.

They spawn in and immediately run into the first mobs. The rest of the team starts attacking, but they die.

We wait for them to get back because the hospital wasn't that far away.

They spawn in and immediately run into the next mob. The rest of the team is already fighting, but they die.

The rest of the team starts chatting about what is going on with this player rushing to their death.

They spawn in and immediately run into the crowd and die.

The team just ignoring them and ran the mission.

The renegade player keeps rushing in, dying, going to the hospital, running back to the mission, and repeating.

lol's were rampant in chat. People shook their heads in disbelief. 

What was that player thinking? Where they a young player? or did they just not care about dying?

Wow great feedback. I thought a lot like that when the game first came out. Lots of new players and folks playing in what I thought were odd ways. 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

I use it to make a judgement of my difficulty setting choice. Do I want to scale it back? Do I want to eat more inspirations and try again? Do I want to invite another players help? Most of the time when I die while soloing I rez back at the base or hospital, log off for a bit, and contemplate my decision. Self punishment is a good motivator.

Sometimes I will self-impose restrictions, like not using my travel power until debt is paid.

• Like 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Was just talking about this in game the other day in how I really miss the original system of the penalty for being defeated. I think the old system created a play style that was a bit more careful in those days unless you had a fire tank on the team, then obviously caution went to the wind, but normal game play without a herding tank on the team, was a bit more cautious and less careless.

Think about it, originally, after level 7, you started getting Debt (and a lot of it) for a defeat. You had to pay all of the debt before you could start earning XP again. Unless you had a Defender or Controller who had a Revive power, you were left to whatever inspirations you had in your tray. There were no silly combining inspirations to rez. If you didn't have one or if your team mates didn't have one, it was off to the hospital you went. There was a real risk to getting killed in those days and it made fighting much more intense for me. Now, if I see my health bar turn red, I don't even care, I just keep fighting till I fall. Lame.

So in my opinion? Yeah, getting killed in game is a very minor inconvenience. It's not even of the level of an annoyance. This game has gotten so stupid easy, even a cave man could play it.

so-easy-a-caveman-could-do-it.jpg

I almost exclusively solo so the only time I tend to be defeated is when my Purple Inspirations get ignored by Barracuda, Silver Mantis, or some other mid-20s/30s AV-turned-EB. When that happens I'm usually just annoyed, buy more purples from the hospital, and hope they aren't ignored a second time.

• Thumbs Up 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

17 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

O.o

That's a DEbuff?

It's stealthy. You think you're buffed, but...(mwa-mwa-mwaaaaammmmmm...).

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

17 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

For real! Especially if that one player fell because they drew too much aggro... now all those enemies will pick a new target. 

8 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Think about it, originally, after level 7, you started getting Debt (and a lot of it) for a defeat. You had to pay all of the debt before you could start earning XP again. Unless you had a Defender or Controller who had a Revive power, you were left to whatever inspirations you had in your tray. There were no silly combining inspirations to rez. If you didn't have one or if your team mates didn't have one, it was off to the hospital you went. There was a real risk to getting killed in those days and it made fighting much more intense for me. Now, if I see my health bar turn red, I don't even care, I just keep fighting till I fall. Lame.

100% agree. I miss when the game was less forgiving for defeats. Now, even when I die a whole bunch, I feel like I barely even notice that I have debt and then it's gone. Man, back in the day I remember being buried in debt for entire LEVELS to the point it felt like part of the identity of some of my more experimental toons XD 

• Like 3

I dont mind dying.  There was a triple bloom hami that i ran in to tank just for the lulz.  Convinced some friends to murdilize themselves a few times too.  My friends died instantly but their buffs allowed me to survive for almost 2 minutes.  Fun times,  would do again.

• Haha 1

My main, fav and only current 50 (only one on live also) is a broadsword/regen scrapper, so defeat (death) is something you get up from. Your tier 8 is Revive.  That implies that by level 35, you will still be going down, so now you can get back in the fight that much faster. So my preference on Trixi is to get up as quickly as possible and fight on! 

• Like 1