Coffee table talk about Blaster primary ranged ST damage

Snarky

I have had a few conversations recently about what kind of damage different Blaster sets do , specifically at ST.  My goal is ludicrously simple.  To determine on a scale of 1-10 how powerful various Blaster sets are at pure ranged single target damage. Sets will not make a difference.  ( due to the fact i stubbornly slot each toon nearly identically). Likewise secondaries will not be of much interest.  Mostly this is to lump various sets into Rating. Lets call the highest set a 10. I assume this will be fire.  Thanks for any responses

Here is @underfyre’s DPS sheet discussion. And here is @Galaxy Braintesting. The later definitely delves into isolating the ability of the primary from secondary as well as from sets/IOs. 

Edited by Nyghtmaire
Spelling

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

At the top end, it would be very close between beam, procced ice and fire, with procced ice taking the lead.

The difference would be small, you'd be unlikely to notice in actual gameplay. The thing with ice and fire is they have incredible damage and quick animations on top of that, beam has the disintegration mechanic that really racks up the pain strong once you get going.

Below those three is when it becomes more noticeable, again, the cast speed is the primary reason fire and ice are so ahead of everything else.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have tried to like Beam Rifle, tried different ATs, different builds and I just can't do it. It's so weirdly slow. Has odd delays in firing and animation. 

Did a  Dilemma Diabolique Trial yesterday with my beam blaster. Was only blaster on league, asked to deal with the Lifegiving Essence. But it was so slow shooting them I could get them all in time. Thank goodness there was other ranged toons on the league.

Yeah it hits hard and is great on AVs and pylons, just don't do anything else I guess.

Of course I'm a just bitter old man that spent to much time and inf into these damn beams

• Like 1

Want fast animations? I finally respeced my long neglected archer blaster. She's insane. I'm sure once it's all said and done and I run a pylon test it'll suck ass... and I don't care. It's a constant barrage of low cast time debuffs and attacks and I love her. I've finally figured out that all it takes for me to like a blaster is a secondary with debuffs or controls. So next is my fire/nature blaster. And my fully T4ed fire/time blaster may just get deleted.

But she looks like this so maybe not.

image.png.d6ea6aacbe259dd162eb8307a9dc032a.png

...... Edit: Now that I'm soloing again, after three awesome TFs, I'm reminded that I have to take clarion and T4 it or my new archer will suck as much as every other blaster I've played.

I really fucking hate how mez works in this game.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Probably as good a place as any to ask this: On your fully tricked out and 50 blasters, what's your sweet spot for difficulty? I seem to be doing fine with my archer at +3/x6, so no double boss spawns to over-tax my meager mez protection (status protect IO in Aimed Shot + Gymnastics) and my debuffs still function enough.

And @Snarky I don't see any issues with blaster ST damage.

• Thumbs Up 1

I pop build up and aim before blowing them up as my opener.

Or for something like my dp/martial, burst>hail>exe>eagles claw and that's a dead carnie.

Sprinkle in reds to your overkill preference.

Apparently, some people don't know this, but mezzing them stops them from shifting, if your build allows for it.

Edited by ScarySai
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have officially “given up” trying to find something better than fire at ST damage.  I have a few tricked out 50 Blasters.  Dark, Electric, Ice, Beam, Seismic.  I look at them I cannot honestly say any of them can get to where Fire is as far as just standing at range at lobbing hate at a Single Target.  

So last night I rolled a Fire/Temporal Blaster and by this morning I had 50d him and opened most incarnate slots.  I have a lunch thing and then will finish up the farming and slap on the build.  I have enough Emp merits i can email over to 50+3 him fast but I think I am short a few of being able to Tier 4 him everywhere.  Levelled that Seismic last weekend lol   

This will be my workhorse toon in Really Hard Way Magisterium and a few other trials that require maximum effort on ST.  I will pick a key blaster for each trial and just play froma deep bench for fire support roles.  For theme I like Dark/Dark best but honestly i do not enjoy Dark secondary. The Sustain alone is a pain instead if being set and forget