Let Earth powers affect fires

Greycat

So with - well, some - fires, Ice and Water powers have an effect on them, "damaging" them to put them out (if it's set up to. Think there are some that are just visual effects.)

Well, there's another way of putting out (some) fires that has no effect in game... throwing dirt on a fire.  While not all powers would really make sense (where, say, Ice's frozen fists or swords could be seen as melting and helping douse a fire, it's a little harder to say why a mallet would,) having some powers able to affect fires would kind of be nice. 

Basically, anything that stays "on the ground" could affect a fire - Stone Cages, Stalagmites, Mud Pots, etc. - helping to extinguish fires.

Kind of niche, admittedly, but since we have yet more earth-throwing and stone/dirt/mud-related powers now, I thought I'd throw the idea out.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

Basically, anything that stays "on the ground" could affect a fire - Stone Cages, Stalagmites, Mud Pots, etc. - helping to extinguish fires.

I don't think that powers which can be visually customized to look like you're encasing your target in rock shot through with cracks showing that the inside is hot enough to be glowing would create the proper feel of putting out a fire by covering it with dirt.

31 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

I don't think that powers which can be visually customized to look like you're encasing your target in rock shot through with cracks showing that the inside is hot enough to be glowing would create the proper feel of putting out a fire by covering it with dirt.

They're glowing through the dirt you're covering it with!   🙂

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I was going to sit this one out, but with the growing comments, let's take a closer look.

Water/ice attacks attack one of the three parts of a fire by cooling down the fuel and putting the fire out.

Sand and dirt attacks one of the three parts of a fire by attempting to deprive the burning fuel of air; putting out the fire. (Problem, earth attacks are coded smashing, not earth.)

A smashing attack like a foot stomp attacks one of the three parts of a fire by attempting to deprive the burning fuel of air or smashing the fuel. (Problem, it can only really affect the area under the foot. So you gotta be fast to stomp out any fire larger than your foot. And larger fires are beyond stomping out, they are quite capable of burning the one that tries instead.)

A wind attack attacks the fire by attempting to scatter the fuel. (Problem. Scattering burning fuel tends to expand the fire unless the dispersal area itself is not subject to burning. Counter argument, Superman consistently blows out fires and Hulk has put out fires with a hand clap. Comic/anime logic.)

Electric attacks do not affect wood/paper fires once the fire is started, but can cause one with a sufficient (super power) level effect and can cause electrical fires to flare up even larger. Oil and gas fires? Engine combustion comes to mind....

Dark attacks can be argued to attack the heat needed for the fire, but can also be argued as having no effect.

Energy attacks (unless concussive/kinetic) would start wood/paper fires, by applying the required heat.

Lethal attacks have no effect on a fire.

Poison attacks have no effect on a fire unless defined as a liquid of sufficient volume to act as water. (Problem, poison can also be flammable.)

Radiation attacks would have no effect on a fire.

Psionic attacks would have no effect on a fire except by manipulating the fuel directly or the surrounding available extinguishers.

Uhm... let's not open this mess, please. All the inter-play that would be asked for (Wind was already brought up in this thread) would make this a nightmare for our poor devs.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to add... several things.

21 hours ago, Rudra said:

A wind attack attacks the fire by attempting to scatter the fuel. (Problem. Scattering burning fuel tends to expand the fire unless the dispersal area itself is not subject to burning. Counter argument, Superman consistently blows out fires and Hulk has put out fires with a hand clap. Comic/anime logic.)

It's not comic/anime logic; there are a number of companies who use explosives to put out oil-well fires. What they do is to use an appropriate amount of explosives to create a shockwave that essentially blows the fire away from the wellhead, in a hugely magnified version of blowing out a candle.

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2022 at 6:08 AM, aethereal said:

The way this is implemented is though damage types (I think).  Fires take cold damage.  If you wanted them to take damage from earth powers, they'd need to take smashing damage, and then you could punch the fire out.

Can you... not punch out fires? Are you really that weak?

Resident certified baby