Obi-Wan Kenobi

According to the Backstage directory site, they are one and the same.

But having asked an online mate who's still in Whollyodd (via Georgia) and does casting, amongst other things...

...it seems in film and TV, they're now more commonly referred to as background actors / featured background actors - i.e. you take a scheduled action or speak (even if it's not a scheduled line, for example background babble that has to be on a convincing theme), which is also what they're referred to as by SAG-AFTRA's collective contracts. Extra is now more a stage and musicals thing. Though, in practice, he uses the term interchangeably. 

• Thumbs Up 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

2 hours ago, Techwright said:

I can see that.  If I remember correctly from my armchair readings, if one has a line of dialog, they have to be registered with the actors' guild or some such, which involves a fee.  I don't remember where the tale came from, but I recall a movie where some famous person had a cameo appearance, originally not saying anything, and when it was decided they should say a line or two, the director paid the fee to register them so all would be on the up-and-up.

Yup.  Happens all the time.  I wouldn't be surprised if dialog or no dialog is still the determining factor.

Jimmy Kimmel's security guard who kicks it on stage and gets a couple of lines probably got his SAG card for free the same way.

Flipping/sponsored membership happens in the craft unions too, but only when the whole show flips from non-union to union.  So a camera operator, for example, who hasn't gotten enough days to join the 600 (Camera Union) is working on a show that flips - usually because they got more money from someplace have to flip in order to keep it - gets union membership and production usually pays for it at that point.  This is extremely rare these days though, afaik.

4 minutes ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

...it seems in film and TV, they're now more commonly referred to as background actors / featured background actors - i.e. you take a scheduled action or speak (even if it's not a scheduled line, for example background babble that has to be on a convincing theme), which is also what they're referred to as by SAG-AFTRA's collective contracts. Extra is now more a stage and musicals thing. Though, in practice, he uses the term interchangeably. 

Yup, that's more clear and concise than my babbling. 😄

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:12 AM, ShardWarrior said:

Personally, I think the series started better than it ended.  I did not care for this being an obvious setup for a Reva series.  Overall I still enjoyed it.  It was nice to see Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen reprising their respective roles.  I think Christensen got a bad rap for the prequels and I am glad to see he has been redeemed now that fans know what real garbage is after the last 3 awful steaming piles of shit Star Wars INO films. 

Reports are that the focus on Reva was due to Kathleen Kennedy. Also the series was filmed in about 2 to 3 months which was a rush job.  Some episodes show signs of it with the editing and FX errors.   Also a new version of Duel of The Fates by John Williams was used for the trailers for the series but K.K. cut it from being used in the series itself.

Reports are also indicating that they are going back and making "Special Editions" of the episodes to correct editing/FX errors, restore scenes that K.K. had removed. 

Also K.K. is now off the series and Filoni/Favreau are taking over

Also Ewan McGregor was an Exec Producer,  but so was K.K. and she was interfering with him big time. He does not like her at all.

Edited by Voltor

25 alts with all the badges!

15 hours ago, Voltor said:

Reports are also indicating that they are going back and making "Special Editions" of the episodes to correct editing/FX errors, restore scenes that K.K. had removed. 

I'm liking the ADR upgrades for a start...

Spoiler

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

Other reports now indicate that Kathleen Kennedy is indeed removed from the Obi-wan series and is only in charge of the upcoming Skeleton Crew and Acolytes tv shows.

Both are said to be having production problems...........for the life of me I just can't imagine why.......oh wait, yes I can.

• Haha 1

25 alts with all the badges!

16 hours ago, Voltor said:

Skeleton Crew

I'd not heard of this series.  I did a quick read up and it sounds like "Goonies In Space"?  Hmm...not seeing it as a big interesting point in Star Wars.

I'll tell you what would have interested me:  if "Skeleton Crew" had been a series about Hondo Onaka and his merry band of pirates trying to survive extinction during the early Empire years.  Then again, we don't know what character Jude Law is playing.  He might very well be playing an old Hondo who has lost his crew and falls in as something of a guide (or perhaps whimsical Fagan) to a small band of lost kids.

If Skeleton Crew winds up as Star Trek:Prodigy but in the SW universe, that might fly with me.

If it's Jude Law as Hondo babysitting a load of brats, I could go a lot of parsecs in that too.

And, well... it could be worse.

• Haha 1