Quick decision

Mike Morbid

There isn’t that big of a difference in survivability between a brute and a scrapper. They both have the same resist and defense modifiers. Brutes have high resist caps, but have a hard time reaching them due to having the same modifiers as scrappers. That said, on willpower they can achieve higher s/l resist fairly easily and have higher base health for the rise to the challenge to work with. So, the brute will be tougher, but it won’t be night and day difference. The scrapper will still be plenty tough honestly. 

Both will do enough damage to clear any content just fine. Scrappers in general will do more damage though. The real question is: do you want to play super strength or street justice? 

My opinion: even though double rage stacked, fury filled knockout blows are fun, it doesn’t make up for the rage crash. I abhors the rage crash. I would rather just do less damage consistently than having the 10 second down time. It also crashes your defense, which already is weaker due to not being protected by high DDR. Granted you have resists and Regen that help, but the defense is still a factor in your mitigation. 

Street justice on the other hand doesn’t suffer from the rage crash. Plus a 3 combo, build up backed, crushing uppercut crit on a scrapper is devastating. So you still get the nice crunchy hits.

So my choice would be street justice scrapper. But that is purely due to preference. I just don’t like the rage crash and so that alone is the deciding factor for me. Some people don’t mind it at all though. 

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Thumbs Up 2

Either or with StJ. I like the higher HP with a Brute, but Scrapper ATOs are more fun. I keep trying SS waiting for it to kick in, but it simply doesn't. At some point I'll dust off my SS/elec Brute and give it a final go.

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

Thanks, all. I tried both, and the brute seemed both more efficient and more fun.

Another question. I have another character idea, a spell caster who uses darkness. Which archetype would you recommend? I have no preference between control, melee, range or support.

For the scarifying misadventures of Mike Morbid, go to Twitter and look for @JMikeMorbid

20 hours ago, MasThoven17 said:

Willpower/super strength brute = Tank Defense+DPS

Street justice/willpower scrapper = Glass Canon DPS+DPS

There's really no comparison. Wanna do more DMG or have higher Defense?

This

The only other thing I might add is the …not subleties…. Of Super Strength is driven by Rage…and the Rage crash is part of the game.  Street Justice is a combo system.  Pick your poison

48 minutes ago, Mike Morbid said:

a spell caster who uses darkness. Which archetype would you recommend? I have no preference between control, melee, range or support.

Controller

- Darkness

- Storm

Lol Trust me...

51 minutes ago, Mike Morbid said:

Thanks, all. I tried both, and the brute seemed both more efficient and more fun.

Another question. I have another character idea, a spell caster who uses darkness. Which archetype would you recommend? I have no preference between control, melee, range or support.

My favorite Death Mage is a Dark/Dark/Dark Defender. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

3 hours ago, Mike Morbid said:

A controller feels more spell based than melee. Like, I could see something like a battle/war mage tank who's staff is used a an actual weapon versus casting spells. I can kind of see Corr, or Def, but I would still lean Controller. When I made a spell caster type I did Ill/dark. It depends on what kind of caster. Personally, I could do a very D&D fitting character and make them Plant/ta. A mage tends to have a backup weapon as need be. That doesn't help you, but I'm just saying a spell caster can be fairly open.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

10 hours ago, Mike Morbid said:

I suggest the strongest Dark/Dark I have personally run.  (I run a lot of Dark/Dark).  A Dark/Dark Brute is incredibly mean and tough, possibly the meanest Brute in the game in my opinion.  Not the best, Dark is oddball.  Part of what makes it so tough also interferes with agro management which is a Brutes side job

Def>Res>Heal.  True.  Dark has almost no defense and no Defense debuff resistance. So why is it so tough???   Because it changes ALL the rules and abuses the system.  Dark has a stealth that Does Not Suppress in combat.  What does not see you will mot shoot at you.  So you control your agro.  Dark has a Stun aura and a Fear aura.  If it is stunned or feared it…is not attacking you.  Most of Dark’s powers have to hit debuffs.   Sooooo that is the “Defense”.  

Dark has very good resists.  Dark has what is probably the best heal available to a melee character. 

Dark/Dark has a solid ST damage chain and a damage aura.  All with an odd damage type that us not commonly resisted

Finally…Dark/Dark is cool looking and fun

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/2/2022 at 2:16 PM, Mike Morbid said:

Dark/Time Blaster. You can fit Arcane Bolt (Sorcery pool) early in the Build.

35 minutes ago, tidge said:

Dark/Time Blaster. You can fit Arcane Bolt (Sorcery pool) early in the Build.

Dark/ta Controller and do the same so you can light Oil Slick.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

On 4/1/2022 at 6:16 PM, Saikochoro said:

There isn’t that big of a difference in survivability between a brute and a scrapper. They both have the same resist and defense modifiers. Brutes have high resist caps, but have a hard time reaching them due to having the same modifiers as scrappers. That said, on willpower they can achieve higher s/l resist fairly easily and have higher base health for the rise to the challenge to work with. So, the brute will be tougher, but it won’t be night and day difference. The scrapper will still be plenty tough honestly. 

Both will do enough damage to clear any content just fine. Scrappers in general will do more damage though. The real question is: do you want to play super strength or street justice? 

My opinion: even though double rage stacked, fury filled knockout blows are fun, it doesn’t make up for the rage crash. I abhors the rage crash. I would rather just do less damage consistently than having the 10 second down time. It also crashes your defense, which already is weaker due to not being protected by high DDR. Granted you have resists and Regen that help, but the defense is still a factor in your mitigation. 

Street justice on the other hand doesn’t suffer from the rage crash. Plus a 3 combo, build up backed, crushing uppercut crit on a scrapper is devastating. So you still get the nice crunchy hits.

So my choice would be street justice scrapper. But that is purely due to preference. I just don’t like the rage crash and so that alone is the deciding factor for me. Some people don’t mind it at all though. 

In my honest opinion, you're ....not quite right. 

The brute and scrapper may have the same modifiers, but brutes reach the resist cap quite easily, as do scrappers. But, the brute's cap is 15% higher. The HP is also significantly higher. 
The scrapper's crits are nice, but they are not consistent. Woefully so. You can slot them with the right procs, and sure, they go off, but do they go off reliably when your foe is at full health, or when all you needed was to take off a sliver to finish them? 

The brute also has an inherent taunt. With the scrapper, you have to choose the right armor set to get a similar result. 

If it were me, I'd make both, but if I could only make one, I'd go with Willpower/SS brute. 

But there are factors to consider. 
Both are solo friendly. 
If you afk a lot - like me - that's important. But, given how fury drops when idle, the scrapper can be a better choice. Just depends. 

With Willpower, given a lot of the regen potential in the armor set, and the brute's higher hp, it just makes sense to me to go with the brute. Scrappers still have a role, but until the crit's can be better timed, more often than not, I'd go with the brute. 

But, really - make both. Slot similarly. You tell us what's best.