Controller farming

Pyriold

I recently joined a hover farm with my plant/storm/leviathan-controller and i think i was dealing damage at blaster levels (2 lightning storms, tornado, water sprout, carrion creepers, all against mobs res debuffed by freezing rain). That made me try out solo hover farm and it was surprisingly efficient, felt almost as fast as my fire farmer brute. The toon was not designed for farms, but it looks like i accidently hit a sweet spot.

Do you have any controllers that can farm at a high efficiency level?

Peak fire farming is still about Fire Def/Res, recharge, end, and damage. Hover blasting makes it a bit easier as you just need to cap Ranged Def for the def aspect which you can do by default and thus without changing a build for it. Capping Fire Res would mostly be grabbing the Fire Epic armor. IOs and Incarnates offer so much recharge it lessens the advantage of using a Kin. I don't have a Controller for farming as I have two Brutes built for it.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

16 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

Hover blasting makes it a bit easier as you just need to cap Ranged Def for the def aspect which you can do by default

No, in hover farms you do *not* need ranged def, the trick is that the mobs do not have any ranged attack and you hover... so you can not be hit. But you can not use any powers that rely on melee range, that's why a fire/kin actually is not so great here (hot feet, imps both need melee range).

Plant/Storm/Ice for me worked surprisingly well. Even parsed out reasonably well but a well built Fire/Fire blaster still happily outpaced me. I suspect once wrung through and actually parsed Plant/TA/Fire or Plant/TA/Mu built with a lot of recharge and a lot of procs could be the king of controller hover farming. 

Map I tried it on though the enemies were not Fire enemies and had Ice Patch. So they didn't play well with Seeds. 

1 hour ago, Pyriold said:

No, in hover farms you do *not* need ranged def, the trick is that the mobs do not have any ranged attack and you hover

The rewards get affected then. I think that's why the map I tried they used Ice Patch, because it counted as a ranged attack (so no reward penalty) and it's one that can't hit you. But it's not Seeds friendly. 

Of course the metric is Inf per second really so even if you're taking a Rewards penalty it still might be better overall having 0 ranged attacks. 

Edit : So I did a quick run on Gotters hover asteroid where the enemies have Mace attacks. Note that I don't have smart things like macros which do your convert to red and eat them set up at all (that'd help a lot). I also spammed seeds a lot since getting them to help me murder them is always useful. 

https://www.carnifax.org/?uuid=bbdc2373-17e7-4fbe-acdd-4a8d0645c8f2

image.png.1b6e76686f580296f6e48308a6e830f4.png

10901 Inf per second gives you about 39 million Inf an hour. I think a decent Fire / Spines does 2 to 3 times that. Interestingly Roots outpaced Lightning Storm and almost matched Tornado in terms of overall damage. Ice Storm is also VERY good, I guess because it does some containment damage and it's not "wasteful", once things die the damage just starts hitting other things instead. So Plant/Trick Arrow/Ice might be an excellent combo (Oil Slick isn't wasteful either although you'd want to have its recharge maxed out and figure out some way to light it reliably)

image.thumb.png.2d8cf679381e453ae7789ba9874de83c.png

Edited by Carnifax

2 hours ago, Pyriold said:

No, in hover farms you do *not* need ranged def, the trick is that the mobs do not have any ranged attack and you hover... so you can not be hit. But you can not use any powers that rely on melee range, that's why a fire/kin actually is not so great here (hot feet, imps both need melee range).

Depends on the map. Farming a map while hovering with mobs only having melee attacks is, well, insulting.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

6 minutes ago, Krimson said:

You're clearing bundles of XP and INF run by a rudimentary AI, they don't have feelings. 😄

But I do. It would feel more like an activity versus playing a game.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

58 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

Never done one of those farms, but they seem like the province of Water Blasters. I can see Water/Tactical Arrow doing well at something like that.

Weirdly this is exactly the combo @Handmixer suggested / used when we were looking this and running them through the parser. It comfortably bet the Plant/Stormie doing about 16.7k Inf/sec compared to my 11.8k Inf/Sec. 

(I then got angry because I realised that Blaster Oil Slick might have a smaller radius, but it also has half the recharge. Bloody blasters)

• 2 weeks later
  • 10 months later