In-game Badge Tracker

Nexros

Here's a little tool I made for myself a while back because I have alt-itis and I hate alt+tabbing back and forth from the wiki to get accolade powers.

This is far from feature-complete, but has done what I've wanted from it for a long time.

My question to the forum folks is: would this be of interest to people as a more complete version? Perhaps a "by zone" section for badgers like myself?

Best to just try it out:

Instructions

1. Close out City of Heroes client.
  2. Create the following directory (unless it's already there): <Install Location>\Homecoming\data\texts\English\Menus
  3. Drag and drop the test.mnu file to that location.
  4. Start City of Heroes
  5. Create a macro to call the menu like so:
    /macro someName "popmenu Accolade"
    You can also make a keybind if you prefer that:
    /bind keyName "popmenu Accolade"

6. Call the menu

The idea behind it is to use existing game functionality (not modifying game files) to allow for a quickly browsable list of useful badges, which are completed, which are required, and instructions/thumbtacks/portals/etc to get them quickly.

For now, it's just for accolade powers, but I'm curious to hear the community's feedback and thoughts on the idea of expanding it into something more.

test.mnu

Edited by Nexros
Updated Menu
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Nexros changed the title to In-game Badge Tracker
  • 2 weeks later

With this macro, using the attached popmenu file, you can see at a glance what you need for each badge, and each accolade. 

I believe @AboveTheChemist is the chap that came up with this very useful popmenu, and has been kind enough to update in good time after each patch. 

Not to discount your efforts - but I think this does what you want. Here's an example: 
image.png.f9d903b9ef12a7a80710840b319896b7.png

I can see at a glance that my level 46 brute just needs to finish with the AVs to complete Portal Jockey. 

Post edited to remove an outdated file. 

Edited by Ukase
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 1 year later
14 hours ago, Steele_Magnolia said:

Wow. Is this still supported?

Yes, it is. The attached file in my post above is dated, so it won't have the latest badges. In fact, they have simplified the process, making everything fairly easy, and straightforward - but it does involve some reading. 

This is the section of the forums where you should be looking: 

Now, at first glance, it looks like it would be terribly complicated - and a lot more hassle than you want for what you get. But it is quite easy. 

The hard part is when you don't read through the various instructions and try to wing it like I did. The few problems I did have were of my own doing. 

I did have to remove my old copy of vidiot maps (to get the latest version), and the pop-menu with the latest badges, I had to remove the old one that was in my data folder before it would work. But once I did that, and shut the game down and restarted, it worked fine. 

The best thing about it is when I don't quite remember where an exploration is, I just scroll to the name of it, and it places a thumbtack where I need to go - assuming I'm in the proper zone. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ukase said:

The attached file in my post above is dated

Along those lines, I'd recommend editing that post and removing that outdated file. I'd certainly appreciate you doing so.

The latest version of that menu is available here: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/24454-atcs-badge-list-popmenu/

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Ukase said:

Yes, it is. The attached file in my post above is dated, so it won't have the latest badges. In fact, they have simplified the process, making everything fairly easy, and straightforward - but it does involve some reading. 

This is the section of the forums where you should be looking: 

Now, at first glance, it looks like it would be terribly complicated - and a lot more hassle than you want for what you get. But it is quite easy. 

The hard part is when you don't read through the various instructions and try to wing it like I did. The few problems I did have were of my own doing. 

I did have to remove my old copy of vidiot maps (to get the latest version), and the pop-menu with the latest badges, I had to remove the old one that was in my data folder before it would work. But once I did that, and shut the game down and restarted, it worked fine. 

The best thing about it is when I don't quite remember where an exploration is, I just scroll to the name of it, and it places a thumbtack where I need to go - assuming I'm in the proper zone. 

Thank you for explaining it so well! I'm not technically inclined but I love collecting badges.