Bug-hunter badge

Nericus

A cursory search of the badge forum didn't show any old threads so I shall ask

The i25 notes states it is available via coupon system.

Is this still the case and what is the coupon system.?  I checked the vip vendor in Atlas, with Luna and the auction house but saw nothing.

Or is the badge not available at all?

• 3 weeks later

Create a mission in mission architect and test it out, boom, bug hunter badge.

Excelsior - Grey Scale 50+ Emp/Dark Def - Thermal Meltdown 50+ Rad/Fire Brute - Old Growth 50+ Plant Troll - Enrico Fermi 50+ Rad Blaster

Fair enough.  But if a GM could chime in and give the official word about this badge that would be great. I would like to cross it off my list one way or another

The nature of this badge made it the rarest thing in the game. It was Intentionally hard to get and not something just anybody could aim for. More of a luck of the draw thing. Asking for a way to get it would be vaguely like someone who missed a year 2 badge and wondered Why they couldn't earn it in year 5.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Fair enough.  But if a GM could chime in and give the official word about this badge that would be great. I would like to cross it off my list one way or another

I'd cross it off.  Unless you find such a bug, and report it, will you receive it.  I'd rather just play the game than try to find bugs.  The article lists the only two examples it was given.  One allowed a player to "infinitely" slot powers with enhancements so he/she could two-shot Hamidon!  The other allowed for billions of prestige to be accumulated in base editing.  As you can see, these were game breaking bugs, not just a run-of-the-mill "this mob has a typo in its description" bug.

The article also states - with no citation - that the Devs were less likely to award the badge if the person reporting the bug asked for the badge.  Presumably the Dev team has changed, but the policy may not have.

I'd cross it off.  Unless you find such a bug, and report it, will you receive it.  I'd rather just play the game than try to find bugs.  The article lists the only two examples it was given.  One allowed a player to "infinitely" slot powers with enhancements so he/she could two-shot Hamidon!  The other allowed for billions of prestige to be accumulated in base editing.  As you can see, these were game breaking bugs, not just a run-of-the-mill "this mob has a typo in its description" bug.

The article also states - with no citation - that the Devs were less likely to award the badge if the person reporting the bug asked for the badge.  Presumably the Dev team has changed, but the policy may not have.

Now I those I remember and yes positron and th devs we're stingy about giving the badge.

Just curious as to it's present status.  For now, drawing a red line through it on the badge list

I was the one who discovered the base edit bug and had the first Bug Hunter Badge!  It was on my villain Burnin Fury, Infinity Server.

• Like 1

A friend of mine mentioned the other night that near the start of Homecoming, there was an oversight with abandoning missions that allowed for extremely fast Reward Merit farming (on the order of like 500 per hour), and the person who reported it got the badge.

If the story is to be believed then the badge is being given out in the same manner as live.

@Veracor - Veracor, Bio/TW Tanker on Everlasting.

Everlasting raid leader, Hamidon main tank, iTrial main tank -- hit me up if you have questions!

Looking through the i25 patch notes, there's some more info on the coupon system.

Coupon Code System:

There is a new backend for the microtransactions server that allows receiving in-game items from the forums. You must have logged in at least once since server reset in order for coupons to work for your account. The reward will be granted to the account linked to your forum account, so this is yet another reason to make sure your forum and game accounts are properly linked. If you can see your own characters on this page then you're good.

The reward will show under Email > Character Items without any popup or chat warning of any sort.

Looks like it was something tied to the forums/website that the old SCORE server was working on, and you could use it to earn ingame rewards (such as the Bug Hunter badge). Maybe it was one of those things where you could earn "points" by posting that you would sometimes see on old forums? Obviously we don't have that enabled here, and I have no idea if that code is even still in place or not.

As for Bug Hunter itself... I always hated that badge, just the concept of it. Pretty much every other badge in the game has clear unlock conditions that can be repeated by as many people and on as many characters as needed. Even the hardest badges in the game are possible with the right method.

but Bug Hunter is different. You need to be lucky enough to find a game-breaking bug (while searching for one can help, there's no guarantee), it's ultimately up to the whims of the developers if you get it at all... and then even if you do get it, it's a one-time only method. That same thing you found in the game won't get anyone else the badge, they have to find some other game-breaking bug of their own! It's completely counter to how every other badge in the game works.

I recall on the old forums there were requests to do something like re-purpose the badge to make it easier to get. Make it something like (for example) an account badge that gets given to people who test things out on the issue betas. Something like that.