Top Secondaries for a Kin Defender

00Troy00

Yes, I know the arguments for making a Kin corruotor, but I want a defender so as to be more exemp-friendly. I'm struggling with my choices foe a secondary. I get that there is no "best," per se, but I'm wondering if there's say, a top 3?

Just go the good old classic Kin/Fire with Vengeance.  Anytime you're venged your a blasting goddess.  You don't have to be immortal and live forever, you only have to live longer than the first guy to die. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

/sonic might be one of if not the only place where a Corr isn't better. Cast times are better come Page 4 as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

16 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

i’ve always loved my kin/sonic, i only play two alts, that being one of them

after the sonic changes i think i’ll delete it and re-roll it as a kin/dark

But why? Sonic gets even better?!

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

the debuff numbers are being significantly reduced - i only fire off my sonic attacks for their debuff values, my kin/sonic is a bit of a sitting duck

They are still pretty good though with better DPA on attacks. Certainly better -res than anything /Dark can offer.

3 minutes ago, Gobbledegook said:

They are still pretty good though with better DPA on attacks. Certainly better -res than anything /Dark can offer.

oh yeah for sure, i'd be going with dark blast for the -acc values and see how much i can debuff to keep the team safer

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd personally vote for Dual Pistols.

On this combo Aim is going to be less useful to you than it normally would after you start regularly capping your +Damage %. You want alternative mechanisms and procs. Dual Pistols is there for you on both fronts. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

I'd personally vote for Dual Pistols.

On this combo Aim is going to be less useful to you than it normally would after you start regularly capping your +Damage %. You want alternative mechanisms and procs. Dual Pistols is there for you on both fronts. 

Aim is still useful to making sure Kin hit. The bigger synergy is how much DP plays in melee.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I concur that kin/sonic is great. You can cap both your team's and your own damage, while further debuffing mob resistance so that you actually hit for more.

Otherwise for nostalgia, I still hold a special place for the old school kin/elec sapper builds. They work well enough but I like my corruptor version more than my defender.

I'd be looking at Sonic, DP, Rad.

• Sonic for the -resist.  Whether you're inclined to view the changes as a nerf or not -resist is still a solid way to up your damage after FS has you at the cap
  • DP as mentioned it likes melee distances just fine and offers more damage debuff potential as well
  • Rad again it likes melee distance with irradiate and its nuke.  And it takes procs a plenty and procs, like -resist, are a way to do even more damage while at the cap.

I'd make an argument for Kinetic/Electrical.

Voltaic Sentinel works well with 'busy' primaries since it continues to fire away even when you don't. Electrical itself is one of the higher damage secondaries once you drain endurance - which you can do with relative ease via Transference and Short Circuit. Endurance Drain also provides a degree of mitigation and flexibility of slotting for a primary that ordinary struggles with staying alive.

• 1 month later

The 'trick' to Kinetics is getting in close and personal, so any secondary that does well in melee range will work. 

DP is interesting because of Swap Ammo - if you need a specific 'side effect' (DoT, slow/-recharge, -damage) you can select it on the fly.  It doesn't really do much overall debuffing though. 

I'd be more inclined to go Electrical Blast - the -end effect is pretty consistent, Short Circuit will require you to be in melee range anyway, and the extra Shock effects will stack up (plus you can chain damage off of Tesla Cage now, again at short range).  The problem is, PvE mobs don't always pay attention to their Endurance, so draining something dry may or may not make toggles drop or lock out End-expensive powers.  Also, know this - mobs that specialize in End drain (Malta sappers, looking at you) are also highly resistant to End drain.  This means that your strategy for such mobs is to take them down hard and fast before they drain your batteries. 

If you want a secondary effect that you can count on to work as advertised, Dark's -acc, Sonic's -res and Rad's -def are solid contenders.

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!