A request regarding stealth powers

Azrik

I have a simple request regarding stealth powers in the game. Please make an option that removes the transparent effects from them. It works on some designs, but when using them on some characters I get discouraged from using them because "I" actually want to be able to see my character.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

8 minutes ago, Azrik said:

"I" actually want to be able to see my character.

I wholeheartedly agree.  Perhaps that can offer some other option - whether it is a "minimal" option with no transparency, or one where you are like 90% "solid", etc...

On 8/2/2022 at 8:24 PM, Azrik said:

I have a simple request regarding stealth powers in the game. Please make an option that removes the transparent effects from them. It works on some designs, but when using them on some characters I get discouraged from using them because "I" actually want to be able to see my character.

Sounds like a minimal fx option.

Plenty of powers have it, but I don't know how many players would actually use this one.

I know I wouldn't.  Being transparent when stealthed let me know when I'm actually stealthed.

And, honest, if you want to see your costume you can turn the stealth power off or you can go fight someone ... because you can't stay stealthed while in combat.

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

5 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Plenty of powers have it, but I don't know how many players would actually use this one.

I know I wouldn't.  Being transparent when stealthed let me know when I'm actually stealthed.

And, honest, if you want to see your costume you can turn the stealth power off or you can go fight someone ... because you can't stay stealthed while in combat.

Energy Aura has a stealth power that keeps buffing Defense even while in combat. 

3 hours ago, Menelruin said:

Energy Aura has a stealth power that keeps buffing Defense even while in combat. 

This thread is about visual SFX and not about combat FX.

8 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

My statement is about wanting that visual cue that my stealth is active, I mainly am concerned with the -perception aspect ... though it is good to know when you are fully "stealthed" on powers that give you increased damage when you come out of "stealth".

8 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I'm even unsure why the statement above triggered ...

3 hours ago, Menelruin said:

But, it looks like the combat FX of coming out of "stealth" are being discussed now.

You don't lose the combat FX of Shinobi-Iri either.

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

As far as I know, all stealth powers keep buffing defense even while in combat. They just normally give a lower bonus.

Lose all Defense bonuses when discovered

Infiltration  (https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Concealment#Infiltration)

You blend into your environment and swiftly make your way while attempting to stay undetected. Infiltration grants you a considerable boost to both your jump height and run speed. Even if discovered, you are hard to see and have a bonus to Defense from all attacks. If, however, you attack while using this power, you will be discovered and will lose your Stealth and Defense bonus provided by this power. Infiltration will not work with any other form of Concealment power such as Shadow Fall or Steamy Mist.

Lose some Defense bonuses when discovered

Stealth  (https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Concealment#Stealth)

You can bend light around yourself to become Invisible. While this power is active, you are almost impossible to detect. If, however, you attack while using this power, you will be discovered and will lose your Stealth and some of your Defense bonus. Sending commands to pets, buffing or healing allies will also lower the defense and stealth granted by this power. This power will not work with other self affecting Concealment related powers such as Infiltration or Shadow Fall.

Grant Invisibility (https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Concealment#Grant_Invisibility)

Grants a targeted teammate or leaguemate Invisibility. The Invisibility lasts about 2 minutes. While your ally is Invisible, he probably will not be detected unless he attacks a target. If he attacks, he is still hard to see and maintains some bonus to Defense to all attacks. This power works with other Concealment related powers.

Hide (https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Ninjitsu#Hide)

Hide makes you almost impossible to detect. When properly 'Hidden', a Stalker can pull off critical hits with his attacks, and even land a massive 'Assassin's Strike' with an Assassin's power. When you attack or are damaged while using this power, you will be discovered. Even if discovered, you are hard to see and retain some bonus to defense. Unlike most stealth powers, Hide can be used at the same time as other Concealment powers, giving you even greater stealth capability. No Endurance cost.

Lose no Defense bonuses when discovered

Energy Cloak (https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Energy_Aura#Energy_Cloak)

The Energy Cloak bends light around you so you become partially invisible. While Cloaked you can only be seen at very close range. If you attack while Cloaked, you will be discovered. Even if discovered, you still maintain a Defense bonus to all attacks. Unlike some stealth powers, the Energy Cloak has no movement penalty. The Energy Cloak will not work with any other form of Concealment powers.

Shinobi-Iri (https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Ninjitsu#Shinobi-Iri)

Shinobi Iri are the ninjitsu techniques of silent movement and avoidance, granting you stealth and defense against all positional attacks. While stealthed, you have a very high chance of landing a critical attack, however you can only attempt this after spending 8 seconds (20 seconds for Sentinels) without attacking or being hit. This power can't be used at the same time as other stealth powers.

I think that covers all the powers that grant stealth, did I miss any? (I'm still waking up)

Edited by UltraAlt
tweaked some wording

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

17 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

This thread is about visual SFX and not about combat FX.

My point is that when I'm on my Energy Aura Brute, I'd like to have that defense boost for stats, AND be able to see my character, for flavor.....but there's no "No visual FX" option for that power.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Doesn't matter if you wouldn't use it - others would and it would enrich their gameplay experience

Can't tell you how disappointed I was to make 5 costumes for a new concept character only to learn that the /nin blaster sustain is a friggin stealth toggle

My DP/Nin is about looking cool, not being transparent!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

6 hours ago, Menelruin said:

My point is that when I'm on my Energy Aura Brute, I'd like to have that defense boost for stats, AND be able to see my character, for flavor.....but there's no "No visual FX" option for that power.

.... understood and I said ....

15 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I agree that that stealth powers don't have a minimal fx option, but it seems to me that is what was being talked about ... a minimal fax option for stealth powers.

29 minutes ago, Ringo said:

Doesn't matter if you wouldn't use it - others would and it would enrich their gameplay experience

It does matter if I would use it just as much as it matters if someone else would use it.

I said  .... 

15 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

My input matters just as much as yours or anyone else's does.

Don't get on a high horse about me expressing my opinion. 

Threads are about sharing opinions on things. We all have the right to state our opinions.

I didn't say it was a bad idea or that no one would use it.

I questioned how many players would actually want to have minimal option for stealth powers.

And I'll say it again - I wouldn't use it even if becomes an option.

It isn't wrong. It is the truth.

Edited by UltraAlt

6 hours ago, Menelruin said:

I forgot to indicate that you could use Leadership>Maneuvers, Leaping>Combat Jumping, or Flight>Hover to get a defense bonus and be able to see your character.

Leadership>Maneuvers stacks with either of the other two powers.

This might be an option to think about until if or when the non-visual option is added for stealth powers. 

51 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

I forgot to indicate that you could use Leadership>Maneuvers, Leaping>Combat Jumping, or Flight>Hover to get a defense bonus and be able to see your character.

Leadership>Maneuvers stacks with either of the other two powers.

This might be an option to think about until if or when the non-visual option is added for stealth powers. 

Actually, all three stack with each other.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

Actually, all three stack with each other.

Thanks, wasn't sure if they would stack if because those two are travel powers.

It's just the travelling part of the travel powers that don't stack, correct?

You still get the travel benefits both powers give, it's just that Hover's flight component preempts any attempts at jumping. So... yeah? The travel components don't stack by virtue of the flight controls disabling access to jumping?

I mean if they just put an alternative FX for stealth that would enable you to see your character and still have a visual cue you can use to see if the power is active. It doesn't even have to be a fancy FX. It could just be something like small clouds hovering around your feet.

Edit: I mean even a minimal transparency option would be welcome. Where it still makes you transparent, but only to a very slight degree.

Edited by Azrik

In the same vein, please please also add a NoFX version for "Darkness Affinity Fade".  The only thing worse than having a self power that makes you transparent is having a power that makes your WHOLE TEAM transparent, potentially against their will.  I honestly hate using the power despite how powerful it is because I'm afraid I'm pissing some people off by using it.

The real irony of that power is that it makes everyone transparent and yet doesn't even grant stealth.  So, I think it often also confuses people.