What to do with Empyrean Merits in the future...

Spectral

Yes, there will be a very slight nerf to certain niche playstyles. I am not disputing that. It will go over like every other “sky is falling” nerf in this game. People will realize the effects are negligible and adapt and move on. 

Let’s all remember once again that this great month of arguments and rage is no different than what happened when we lost… 30 seconds of Rune of Protection uptime. Turns out the sky never fell and that didn’t spark a mass exodus and neither will this. Actually, turns out the Sorcery pool is more popular than ever now.

If it’s truly something you can’t get over, it seems we will part ways and have to miss you when you move to Thunderspy. But most here will get over it.

Edited by arcane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

19 minutes ago, arcane said:

Let’s all remember once again that this great month of arguments and rage is no different than what happened when we lost… 30 seconds of Rune of Protection uptime. Turns out the sky never fell and that didn’t spark a mass exodus and neither will this. Actually, turns out the Sorcery pool is more popular than ever now.

Speak for yourself. I still had to shelve my hover blaster who relied on RoP and Barrier to survive. And my Widow. And my Stalker. The enflame update was nice for MMs though.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, arcane said:

This is a false framing of the issue. It doesn't have to be mass exodus that happens all at once. It just has to feed the gradual decline in the playerbase over time.

Is the active population larger or smaller in the time since the RoP nerf? It could be that a fairly large number of people left the game, in part, because of that change. We as players don't know. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, arcane said:

Yes, there will be a very slight nerf to certain niche playstyles. I am not disputing that. It will go over like every other “sky is falling” nerf in this game. People will realize the effects are negligible and adapt and move on. 

If it’s truly something you can’t get over, it seems we will part ways and have to miss you when you move to Thunderspy. But most here will get over it.

Yeah I'll determine for myself how big or small an impact changes are on me thanks.  Population has been steadily declining for a while now and none of the new and super cool content seems to be changing that. 

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

45 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Yeah I'll determine for myself how big or small an impact changes are on me thanks.  Population has been steadily declining for a while now and none of the new and super cool content seems to be changing that. 

Ofc you will. And like I said, if the impact is too great, thankfully there are other servers for you. And like I said, the impact to HC overall will be negligible. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

9 hours ago, arcane said:

Ofc you will. And like I said, if the impact is too great, thankfully there are other servers for you. And like I said, the impact to HC overall will be negligible. 

Bet the same things were said about all the other updates too and yet the population is still declining.... just saying.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/18/2022 at 3:45 PM, GM Widower said:

Goshdarnit Luminara, I was just about to come in and say this!

Also, please lay off of each other's faces. You have been at this for a month. I would hope that the vitriol could therefore decrease.

People are . . . insanely passionate about their COH. LOL

But seriously everyone should try to be nicer.  . . . and agree to disagree.

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2022 at 5:09 PM, Grouchybeast said:

Converting Emps to Reward Merits isn't inflationary, any more than using RMs to buy converters or recipes is inflationary.  Emp to RM conversion increases the supply of goods, not inf.  If anything, it's deflationary.

TY! Amazing to this day folks don't know how the market works. It's been over a decade folks!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Excraft said:

Bet the same things were said about all the other updates too and yet the population is still declining.... just saying.  

Although there is zero evidence that Rune of Protection uptime drove a single player to quit, I would say anyone who quits a game on account of such an inconsequential change is too fragile to be considered a material loss to the community.

As for the actual population decline, thankfully there are much more logical reasons for that than a couple of tiny nerfs buried in great patches. Zero reason to believe these patches have anything to do with that.

Am I saying all this just to farm thumbs down emojis that I now cherish as a badge of honor ever since I realized they all come from the same 5 trolls? Maybe 🙂 

Edited by arcane
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

19 hours ago, ZacKing said:

You can put anyone on ignore that you want and never have to read another doom post again. 

Wait holy shit you can SET PEOPLE TO IGNORE PEOPLE ON THE FORUMS?! Dear god how do I do this?!

Edited by Seed22
  • Haha 4

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

8 hours ago, golstat2003 said:

People are . . . insanely passionate about their COH. LOL

But seriously everyone should try to be nicer.  . . . and agree to disagree.

That would be nice wouldn't it?

I don't think this is passion though. Passion still allows for civil debate, this is both sides trying to get the other to acquiesce to their BS

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

19 minutes ago, arcane said:

Am I saying all this just to farm thumbs down emojis that I now cherish as a badge of honor ever since I realized they all come from the same 5 trolls? Maybe 🙂 

Funny, I find the same handful of people going "Nerf X thing!" Except I don't just casually consider those whose stance I happen to disagree with as trolls, even though some of them have yet to post any actual data, citation, or sources to support their points. I am not saying you, just some among the Nerf crowd are just as likely to make claims without proof. At least I post examples and sources.

• Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, arcane said:

Although there is zero evidence that Rune of Protection uptime drove a single player to quit, I would say anyone who quits a game on account of such an inconsequential change is too fragile to be considered a material loss to the community.

As for the actual population decline, thankfully there are much more logical reasons for that than a couple of tiny nerfs buried in great patches. Zero reason to believe these patches have anything to do with that.

The piss poor attitude does a lot more to drive people away than any RoP nerf.  The angry entitled Karen routine gets old really quick.  I would say anyone with such contempt for others is too fragile and of no positive use to the community.   And despite all the hard work this volunteer group puts in to create new stuff, the population is still in decline, so the patches aren't doing anything to reverse that. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

8 minutes ago, Excraft said:

I would say anyone with such contempt for others is too fragile and of no positive use to the community

HC Community: "Come play on Homecoming, we've got a friendly and large community!"

Also HC Community: "You have gone against the devs, you are a troll get out"

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

48 minutes ago, arcane said:

I mean, you wouldn't be the first one to do that lol.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, arcane said:

If you're openly trolling people who actually care about this issue, you don't get to clutch your pearls and justify it by calling them trolls. Grow up. At least own what you're doing.

• Thumbs Up 2

I assure you all: I would never call someone a troll just for their opinion. Has a lot more to do with constantly antagonistic behavior.

If you are one of the few actual trolls in question, you’ve already pulled far too much insulting bullshit for me to care to turn around and placate you now. 

The only thing that will clean up this place is the patch coming out, at which point everyone will stop bitching and start adapting.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

10 minutes ago, battlewraith said:

If you're openly trolling people who actually care about this issue, you don't get to clutch your pearls and justify it by calling them trolls. Grow up. At least own what you're doing.

Yes, there is some extent to which I am reactively trolling back at the original trolls, sure. Mostly because their constant abuse leaves me little choice. 

Just a hint, Mr. Battlewraith: if you follow people around and constantly harass, abuse, and smear them, it’s probably inevitable that they develop contempt for you.

The result? I could care less what I say to 4 particular people in this thread because, frankly, fuck them.

Edited by arcane
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, arcane said:

Yes, there is some extent to which I am reactively trolling back at the original trolls, sure. Mostly because their constant abuse leaves me little choice. 

Maybe you need to take your own advice. Adapt. Stop bitching about other people bitching.

Personally, I see your posts in this thread in particular as schadenfreude. Gloating and waving away other people's concerns as insignificant.

And yet you are taken aback when people respond negatively. Apparently so taken aback that you are compelled to troll. You have little choice but to pour gasoline on the fire.

Not buying that line of reasoning, sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, arcane said:

Just a hint, Mr. Battlewraith: if you follow people around and constantly harass, abuse, and smear them, it’s probably inevitable that they develop contempt for you.

I don't follow you around. Look at your post count. You're always there in a discussion. And I respond to what people say here in these threads, not who they are as people of which I have no clues. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

59 minutes ago, blue4333 said:

HC Community: "Come play on Homecoming, we've got a friendly and large community!"

Also HC Community: "You have gone against the devs, you are a troll get out"

So much this.

So much so whenever I recommend this server, I tell others to never visit these forums, ever. 

Not even for builds. I’ll offer to make builds for them, so they aren’t tempted to see the vitriol of these forums.

EDIT: I dont want any folks I recommended to play CoH’s first experiences to be tainted by well, threads like this.

Edited by Seed22
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, battlewraith said:

I don't follow you around. Look at your post count. You're always there in a discussion. And I respond to what people say here in these threads, not who they are as people of which I have no clues. 

I’ve explicitly asked you multiple times to leave me alone, and I’ve tried to respond to you in particular less in the last month, but damn you are persistent.  And so I have failed at ignoring your posts entirely, yes. 

I may honestly have to figure out where this mythical ignore button is because I don’t believe you have any intentions of letting off the constant barrage of belittling and abuse. I find your need for constant conflict pretty stressful tbh.