Crey Juggernaut able to Taunt while in PFF

Yomo Kimyata

I have only noticed this recently (because I frankly wasn't paying attention before).

When you take down a Juggernaut to a certain level of health and they pop their PFF and they are Invulnerable and Unable to Affect Others, they are still able to Taunt you through that force field, thus keeping you from being able to single target attack anyone except for the Juggernaut, who is Invulnerable.  At first I thought this was my error and that they had taunted me before they popped their bubble, but nerp.  I've had a half-dozen examples in the last week of the Taunt being applied after PFF was up.

I've never bothered to test to see if characters can do this (taunt through PFF) since I don't think I've ever gotten a taunt power on any AT that has Force Fields.

Who run Bartertown?

NPCs have always performed differently than player characters (aka they have a different set of rules that apply to them).

These differences are what can make them dangerous to player characters.

I'm sure that this is is intended and not a bug.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Well harumph, pardon my coarse language, but that's a load of horse hockey!  Stupid critters...

My instinct tells me that they would have had to define and program "Only affects self" status differently from players and critters, which seems unlikely.  But I'll experiment to see if I can break this somehow.

Who run Bartertown?

11 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

My instinct tells me that they would have had to define and program "Only affects self" status differently from players and critters, which seems unlikely.

Yeah, well, I have seen this kind of behavior in game design for decades.

I'm unsure why this is a big shock.

In fact, there are a lot of NPC behaviors that aren't the same for player characters.

One of the historical ones is endurance use.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

34 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Yeah, well, I have seen this kind of behavior in game design for decades.

It's a stock aspect of most games that the NPCs have different effects and costs for their abilities than PCs; this is done as a crutch to make them more competitive against PCs, because the preprogrammed 'AI' for the NPCs can't compete on an even basis with a human-controlled PC, so the NPCs get to 'cheat' to one degree or another. One place this is easily seen in CoH is endurance use, where NPCs with only a tiny sliver of their End bar are able to fire off abilities that would take a noticeable chunk out of a PC's End bar, which makes a character focusing on End drain harder to do, because you can't just drain most of their End -- you need to drain it all the way to zero and keep it there, preferably with recovery debuffs to inhibit their getting any End back.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I'm not disagreeing, but programming wise, it's easy to change #endurancecostforminionvalue# from 10 to 1.  It's harder to change #invulnerabilitymode# unless there has always been #invulnerabilitymodeplayer# and #invulnerabilitymodecritter#.  Dunno.

It has always been that way as far as I remember.

Use a breakfree.

If you really want it take it to them, I'm pretty sure if you phase shift, you can take the battle to them.

Also, some of the AoE phase shift powers (Ones that can cause a phase shifted area that you can move in and out of), might allow you to interact with them while they are phase shifted.