Which server, and does it matter?

It's fantastic to be back in this game after all these years!

When I discovered Homecoming a couple of weeks ago, in my enthusiasm to get into the game I just jumped into the server that seemed to have the lowest load at the time and then spent a weekend recreating about two dozen characters from live.  Later I discovered that the server I chose, Everlasting, is the "unofficial RP server."  I'm curious what exactly this means and how it might affect my experience.

Understand, I don't have anything against RP.  I enjoy it myself, but usually in PnP settings. I've done some in MMOs, but frankly I tend to be too lazy to take the effort.  In general, I take a more casual approach to my online gaming, logging on sporadically, at different times of the day according to my schedule.  Sometimes I'll be online every day, if only for an hour or two here and there, while others I might not log in for a week or more.  When I play, I go at my pace, enjoying the game for what it is.  Oh, and I'm an incurable altoholic with nearly 40 characters already made and more in mind.

From what I've read of the server descriptions and communities, it seems that Excelsior might be a better fit, but what I would like to know is does it really matter?  While I have many characters already, most are level 1-2 and could be quickly remade, and any that I didn't want to start over could be easily transferred.  I'm in a good position to change servers now as opposed to further down the road, but is it worth it?  Everlasting does still seem to have a lighter load than Excelsior.  Are load issues going to be a bigger factor than the community and the "unofficial" play style?  It seems to me that the CoX crowd is always pretty good regardless of what server you're on, and I honestly haven't seen much open RP on Everlasting yet, so I don't really know how much a part of the server experience it actually is.  I'm just trying to think ahead and figure what the best option would be long term. 

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Later I discovered that the server I chose, Everlasting, is the "unofficial RP server."  I'm curious what exactly this means and how it might affect my experience.

It means that there's going to be a "self-selection" factor at work for Casual Players.

If that's your cup of tea, then drink up!

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Everlasting being the "Unofficial RP Server" won't have much impact on your playing the game. It just means that sometimes you'll see some odd things said in local chat that you should just chalk up to role-playing and move on, or hide on a rooftop and listen to (some are funny to eavesdrop on). I've been on a few "RP Mission Teams" and most are... Just teams.

There are no "official" anything servers.

Everlasting is the "unofficial RP server" meaning that if RP is something that you enjoy then you might want to check that server out.

Just as Indomitable is the "unofficial PvP server.  They are telling you that if you enjoy PvP then you might want to roll your toons on Indomitable.

It's just good for the community.

If RPers can find plenty of other RPers to play with then they are more likely to find others that fit their style and it raises all of their enjoyment playing.

If the PvPers can find plenty of other players to fight, then they are more likely to enjoy their time playing and stick around longer.

None of that means that you have to be an RPer to play on Everlasting or a PvPer to play on Indomitable or that you could be attacked by anyone at any time while you are there.

No play style is enforced.  You can not be reported for refusing to RP on Everlasting or for refusing to duel on Indomitable.

The only server choice that might truly matter is Reunion or not.

That is the European server, so lag and communication may be more of an issue for those on the Americas side of the Atlantic.

• Like 1

Everlasting being the "Unofficial RP Server" won't have much impact on your playing the game. It just means that sometimes you'll see some odd things said in local chat that you should just chalk up to role-playing and move on, or hide on a rooftop and listen to (some are funny to eavesdrop on). I've been on a few "RP Mission Teams" and most are... Just teams.

Basically it means the mistells are a lot more fun.  ;D

On extremely rare occasion you might get someone on Everlasting going up to you and trying to RP with you through Local or whatever, but this has happened to me like... twice?  Both times when idling in Atlas Park waiting on a friend to roll a new alt.  I imagine it'd probably happen a lot more in the "RP Hubs" like Pocket D though.

Characters on Everlasting seem to have more... interesting bios more often.  There's been a couple going into detail about their character's "rippling muscles" and other physical qualities and felt more like a character profile for a... different sort of community.  Granted, these are pretty rare though, in my experience, and usually kind of funny to read.

(I'm going to apologize upfront for the long-winded post.  Typing these things out helps me organize my thoughts and work my way through the issue.  If you'd like to skip past the bulk of my thought process and just get to the key questions, then I'd recommend going straight to the last two paragraphs at the end of the post.  Thanks in advance for reading through my musings!)

Maybe I can clarify my original question.  Here is how I see each server, based on what I've read in each server's forum (please correct me if I'm wrong):

• Everlasting - Focus on RP, RP groups and events will be common here.  If I group with other players, by default I would expect them to be RP'ers unless explicitly stated otherwise.
  • Indomitable - Focus on PvP; I'd expect to find more groups engaging in PvP activities.  Outside of those activities, I don't really know what to expect, but I'd guess more on the "hardcore" side looking to level quickly to improve PvP play.
  • Excelsior - Focus on casual play, leveling, etc.  If I group with other players, by default I would expect them to have a more casual approach to the game, unless explicitly stated otherwise.
  • Torchbearer - Focus on more "serious" or "hardcore" play, high level activities, optimized builds/groups for certain content, trying to complete content as fast as possible, etc.  If I group with other players, by default I would expect them to be more hardcore unless explicitly stated otherwise.

I realize that none of these are official designations, and that none of these characteristics are absolute, that each server will likely have a bit of everything.  As I see it, it's a question of proportions, and how easy it will be to find what I'm looking for.  In my particular case, while I may at some point find myself interested in some RP, it's likely to be a rare occasion.  My main priority is experiencing the game casually, in finding teams that have a more easygoing approach to content, and supergroups that don't expect me to be on every day at a particular time to join in on certain events but rather let me go at my own speed. 

Can I find this on any server?  I'm sure I can; but how much effort will I need to put into the search?  If I can easily find teams and groups that support my play style, then I'm more likely to engage socially and work with other players.  If it takes more time and effort, then I'm honestly more likely to spend more time solo in order to avoid hassle and frustration.  I'd rather make sure I'm on a server where it's easier for me to interact more with other players.  If half the time I'm working with other players they're expecting me to react to their RP, then that's more involvement and effort than I want to put in.  I'd be less likely to group up, not because the RP bothers me, but because I don't want to feel like I'm interfering with their play by not engaging the way that they're expecting.  Based on my priorities and what I've read of each server, Excelsior sounds like the best fit for me.

Now here's the other half of the equation:  server load.  From what I've seen, Torchbearer and Excelsior typically have the heaviest load.  Everlasting and Indomitable, while often also heavy, seem to be at least somewhat less busy than the other two.  At least for the time being, I'm on a slow and limited connection, and anything that can compound that (such as long queue times, lag due to high populations, disconnects from timeout issues, etc.) could be a significant problem.

So here's my choice as I see it:

[*]I can keep the bulk of my characters on Everlasting, where I may have slightly better connection issues, but  also may have a more difficult time finding others that play the way I do.

[*]Or I can move to Excelsior, and maybe have an easier time of finding my sort of group, but also deal with the issues that come with heavier server load.

So I guess it comes down to whether the ease of finding the right sort of group outweighs the complications of a heavily populated server.  I don't think I've been playing these servers long enough to really understand how severe of an issue either of these situations are, and this is where I'm looking for some direction from those with more experience before I plant my roots too deep.  Is it any easier or harder to find other casual players on Everlasting than it is on Excelsior?  Is the server load really cause that different of an experience, and is the load on Excelsior/Torchbearer ever a problem?

My instinct tells me that the RP crowd in general is going to be a bit more on the casual side of play, so group finding may not be that different than Excelsior (am I wrong?).  But the next concern is that if I find myself among a group of RP'ers, am I going to be seen as the proverbial "stick in the mud" for not engaging, and will my presence negatively impact their experience?  If so, I'd rather be where I'm more welcome and where I don't feel like I'm in the way of others' play.  This is where my inclination is to move to Excelsior, but that's purely based on my own mental reasoning and forum reading, not on any actual significant experience.  Am I right in my instincts, or am I over thinking things (as I'm known to do) and making issues bigger in my mind than they are in reality?

What I can say about the role play I have experienced is very casual (encouraged, but optional) and most teams in Everlasting have not had a heavy RP component (little to none)

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Server Selection.

You can move at anytime for free.

Lots of people makes characetsr on all servers.

I have played on all kind of MMO servers over the years that were supposed to have a flavor I never saw/experienced.

IMO, 'does it matter?' is No.

You can change at anytime, you can play on all of them.

So, IME, it does not matter.

Server Selection.

I have played on all kind of MMO servers over the years that were supposed to have a flavor I never saw/experienced.

The only caveat here is that you are given a limited number of character transfers (5/mos?).  So you can move some of your characters whenever you want.

But I think odds of finding what you want is very probable on all the servers.  Roll an Alt on each server and see what you like...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Server Selection.

The only caveat here is that you are given a limited number of character transfers (5/mos?).  So you can move some of your characters whenever you want.

I believe it's 5 transfers/3 days, which is quite a lot, so I see what jubakumbi is saying.  Hopping back and forth just makes it difficult to build up a presence and establish teams/friends/etc.

But I think odds of finding what you want is very probable on all the servers.  Roll an Alt on each server and see what you like...

I could, but the whole point of asking in the forums was to not have to spend the time exploring a server community to determine whether or not it's the right server before I can settle down somewhere.

I believe it's 5 transfers/3 days, which is quite a lot, so I see what jubakumbi is saying.  Hopping back and forth just makes it difficult to build up a presence and establish teams/friends/etc.

Don't tell jubakumbi that, his head will swell...  ;)

But at 5/3 days, that's pretty close to unlimited, so jubakumbi is right

I could, but the whole point of asking in the forums was to not have to spend the time exploring a server community to determine whether or not it's the right server before I can settle down somewhere.

I think the theme here is that all the servers are quite welcoming, and while their might be minor differences, you won’t find your gameplay lacking.  If you are odd exception to that rule, you can quickly change homes.  I'm on everlasting, would be happy to team...but wherever you go, do it soon, because who knows how long this will last, and playing somewhere is better than playing nowhere...

I think you may be overthinking things.  Pick a server and play.  It’s all,good.  You’re not missing anything by choosing one server over another.

I think you may be overthinking things.  Pick a server and play.  It’s all,good.  You’re not missing anything by choosing one server over another.

This was my point, really. :)

LOL, fair enough!  I did mention this is one of my weaknesses.  All part of being an engineer I suppose, always looking for more data to make a decision.  Thanks everyone for the feedback.

You never really know until you jump in, right?

So, as suggested, just pick one and go.

If you want to use your first impressions from the server boards as a guide then do that, but just pick a server and roll a toon.

And if after playing for a while you think that maybe that server isn't for you then you can switch, but I wouldn't expect that to be necessary.

So far so good on Everlasting, but I still haven't had much opportunity to group up (mostly due to technical issues on my end that complicate things, but I'm working on a solution).

However, I came across a thread today in the Everlasting forum that concerns me:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,4590.0.html

The reaction from the team in the experience described by the OP is exactly what I'm afraid of:  getting into a random group and being automatically expected to conform to RP chat conventions, without any advance warning that it's an RP group.  If I'm volunteering to RP, or knowingly joining an RP team, I'll willingly engage and participate.  But if I'm getting called out for not RPing when I wasn't even given an opportunity to consent to it in the first place,  I'm going to resent it, and that won't be good for my experience or that of the other team members.

Stories like this make me think I really should be migrating my characters to another server.

Stories like this make me think I really should be migrating my characters to another server.

If you have not experienced an issue, what's the problem?

Anecdotal stories from others are not something I personally use to make my choices in life. :)

On the other servers, there are plenty of players that will assume all sorts of things about how you should be playing. :)

So far so good on Everlasting, but I still haven't had much opportunity to group up (mostly due to technical issues on my end that complicate things, but I'm working on a solution).

However, I came across a thread today in the Everlasting forum that concerns me:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,4590.0.html

The reaction from the team in the experience described by the OP is exactly what I'm afraid of:  getting into a random group and being automatically expected to conform to RP chat conventions, without any advance warning that it's an RP group.  If I'm volunteering to RP, or knowingly joining an RP team, I'll willingly engage and participate.  But if I'm getting called out for not RPing when I wasn't even given an opportunity to consent to it in the first place,  I'm going to resent it, and that won't be good for my experience or that of the other team members.

Ancedotal experience: playing on Everlasting, never had this problem. Same when I played on Virtue back in the day. FWIW, I'm not a RPer, I just like the RP communities. :)

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

Not true at all, being on the rp server myself back in the day virtue, mostly due to a much friendlier community.  It is elever how people are with rp with city of heroes, more then any other mmo I have seen, however cox has the edge due to multiple genre flexibility. I have personally viewed hilarious things on the rp server with emotes alone.

If you have not experienced an issue, what's the problem?

Anecdotal stories from others are not something I personally use to make my choices in life. :)

On the other servers, there are plenty of players that will assume all sorts of things about how you should be playing. :)

This.  There are so many ways a team can go south, beyond the RP expectations.  People might tell you how to play your character.  People might be very strict on tactics to point its not fun, or so lax y'all clean the floor with your faces alot.  There are a hundred ways for people to be a dick, and sadly in some cases the mob mentality wins and it's a bust.

But that's all the servers, and that's the exception not the rule.  Most team ups are nice people who just want to "destroy pixels", as my estemeed colleague who I've quoted says and actually aren't overly talkative or rude.

I'd be happy to team any time