APP NEWliferation Hyper Edition EX +α: Gauntlet Mastery - Praetorian PD/IDF Force Gauntlet Patron Pool

Vanden

For me, a Patron Pool needs to be two things: it needs to be canon powers used by a character or characters in the game, and it has to be something it would potentially be possible for any character to use. Having a unique look to it is also a big bonus. As it happens, the Force Gauntlet powers used by the Praetorian Police and Imperial Defense Force tick all three boxes with gusto, and the IDF have robotic drones that serve as perfect patron pets! This would be a brand new unlockable patron pool usable by all archetypes with the exception of Kheldians. While a new arc to unlock them would certainly be cool, Provost Marchand/Mr. G's first Primal Earth arcs would also be perfect for unlocking them; they're both in the appropriate level range and both deal with the fallout of Praetorians heading to primal Earth. It would be the ideal opportunity for your character to grab a pair of Force Gauntlets and a robotic drone for their own use!

Click this link to see my chart of APPs, which includes all the existing pools, the pools proposed in this thread and all my other APP threads, along with links to every thread, proposed pool names, and power icons.

Blaster

• dQfRGCs.png Force Shackles
  • cEOowur.png Holomesh Armor
  • PLdbCS0.png Threat Assessment
  • 3vLYQQU.png Call Mobile Turret
  • FVO4f9w.png Force Cage

Brute

• tHBgDGW.png Force Bolts
  • DiRNjjE.png Impact Bomb
  • 3vLYQQU.png Call Battle Orb Mk I

Controller

• tHBgDGW.png Plasma Burst
  • TiNrecI.png Force Burst
  • 3vLYQQU.png Call IDF Drone

Corruptor/Defender

• 1LZfVMO.png Force Shockwave
  • 05cqXGY.png Force Vortex
  • FVO4f9w.png Force Cage
  • 3vLYQQU.png Call IDF Drone

Dominator

• Q7iKYiA.pngForce Netting
  • KDqygaE.png Nanomedicine Boost
  • 3vLYQQU.png Call Battle Orb Mk III

Mastermind

• M3YwYrp.png Force Lance
  • 1LZfVMO.png Force Shockwave
  • FVO4f9w.png Force Cage

Scrapper/Stalker

• 1jQAFqK.png Force Blast
  • M3YwYrp.png Force Lance
  • TiNrecI.png Force Burst
  • FVO4f9w.png Force Cage
  • 3vLYQQU.png Call Battle Orb Mk I

Sentinel

• mRzpg9r.png Force Smasher
  • 05cqXGY.png Force Vortex
  • FVO4f9w.png Force Cage
  • 3vLYQQU.png Call Mobile Turret

Tanker

• tHBgDGW.png Force Bolts
  • 3vLYQQU.png Call Battle Orb Mk II

Arachnos Soldier/Arachnos Widow

• tHBgDGW.png Plasma Blast
  • KDqygaE.png Nanomedicine Boost
  • Q7iKYiA.png Force Netting

Since many players might not be familiar with these powers due to a general aversion to Praetorian content (and because I made one or two of them up), I've also included screenshots and videos of the powers in action. I have to apologize for the crudity of some of these video demonstrations. There's only so much that can be accomplished with demo editing, though it's still a fair amount. Without further ado, the powers:

• Force Blast: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Energy/Smashing damage and has a chance to knock targets down.
    Spoiler

• Force Bolts: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Energy/Smashing damage and has a chance to knock targets down.
    Spoiler

• Force Burst: A ranged cone attack that deals moderate Energy/Smashing damage and knocks targets down.
    Spoiler

• Force Cage: A ranged, single-target hold, that deals minor Energy damage over time.
    Spoiler

• Force Lance: A sniper attack that can be used in combat for high Energy/Smashing damage, with a damage buff that scales with ToHit buffs, or out of combat for a slower, interruptible attack that deals even more damage. Knocks the target down on a successful hit.
    Spoiler

• Force Netting: A ranged, single-target debuff that reduces the movement speed, power recharge speed, and damage resistance of the target, and deals minor Energy damage over time.
    Spoiler
  • Force Shackles: A ranged cone attack that immobilizes targets and deals minor Energy damage over time.

Spoiler

This one is really rough. There's no way to get the circles to cooperate, and an immobilize FX for Force Gauntlets doesn't actually exist yet. Just pretend that the circles are moving towards the targets, the top two holographic hazard lines aren't there, and the only holographic bindings present are the ones around the targets' ankles, not the ones on their wrists or torsos.

• Force Shockwave: A PBAoE attack that has a high chance to knockdown and stun targets, and deals minor Energy damage.

Spoiler

• Force Smasher: A single-target melee attack that deals moderate Energy/Smashing damage and has a chance to knock down and stun the target.

Spoiler

• Force Vortex: A PBAoE attack that deals moderate Energy/Smashing damage, and has a chance to knockdown and stun targets.

Spoiler

• Holomesh Armor: An armor toggle that increases resistance to Smashing, Lethal, and Energy damage.

Spoiler

I set this one at night to make it easier to see the armor effect.

• Impact Bomb: A ranged, targeted AoE attack that deals moderate Energy/Smashing damage and has a chance to knock down targets.

Spoiler

When NPCs use this power, it has a very long animation that I figure most players would hate, so I mocked up a faster version.

• Nanomedicine Boost: A self-buff click that restores a small amount of health and endurance, and grants a moderate Regeneration and Recovery buff for a short time.

Spoiler

• Plasma Blast: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Energy/Smashing damage, deals additional Fire damage over time, and has a chance to knock targets down.

Spoiler

• Plasma Burst: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Energy/Smashing damage, deals additional Fire damage over time, and has a chance to knock targets down.
    Spoiler
  • Threat Assessment: A ranged, targeted AoE debuff that reduces targets' Defense and Damage Resistance. Additionally, the main target's Combat Attributes can be viewed in the monitor.
    Spoiler

Of course, every Patron pool comes with a pet! Unless you're Blaster or Mastermind... but not this pool. Every AT can get a pet from Gauntlet Mastery! The pets:

Battle Orb Mk I

Vv21Fef.png

• Charged Blast: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Energy damage and has a chance to knock the target down.
    Spoiler

• Particle Burst: A ranged, targeted AoE attack that deals moderate Energy damage and additional minor Energy damage over time.
    Spoiler

• Particle Spray: A ranged cone attack that deals moderate Energy damage over time.
    Spoiler

• Plasma Ray: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Energy damage and slightly reduces the target's regeneration.
    Spoiler

• Plasma Spray: A ranged cone attack that deals moderate Fire damage over time.
    Spoiler

• Welding Ray: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Energy damage and slightly reduces the target's Defense.
    Spoiler

Battle Orb Mk II

46dkWKc.png

• Charged Shot: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Energy damage and slightly reduces the target's damage resistance.
    Spoiler

• Fusion Grenade: A targeted AoE attack that deals moderate Energy damage and creates a patch at the primary target's feet that deals minor Energy damage over time to all targets that pass through it.
    Spoiler

• Heavy Particle Burst: A ranged cone attack that deals moderate Fire damage over time.
    Spoiler

• Particle Burst: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Energy damage and slightly reduces the target's Regeneration and damage resistance.
    Spoiler

• Plasma Beams: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Energy damage and slightly reduces the target's Regeneration.
    Spoiler

• Single Plasma Shot: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Energy damage.
    Spoiler

Battle Orb Mk III

n031cSD.png

• Deploy Stimulant: A single-target heal that restores a small amount of Health to the target and increases their resistance to Stun and Sleep effects.
    Spoiler

Sound added by me

• Plasma Blast: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Energy damage and slightly reduces the target's Defense.
    Spoiler

• Plasma Bolts: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Energy damage.
    Spoiler
  • Plasma Spray: A ranged cone attack that deals moderate Fire damage over time.
    Spoiler

• Plasmatic Immobilizer: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Energy damage over time and immobilizes the target.
    Spoiler

• Plasmatic Stunner: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Energy damage and stuns the target.
    Spoiler

IDF Drone

nDqja8c.png

• AP Round: A ranged, narrow cone attack that deals moderate Lethal damage, slightly reduces the targets' damage resistance, and has a chance to knock them down.
    Spoiler

I have no idea why that triangle shadow shows up, don't @ me

• HE Shot: A ranged, targeted AoE attack that deals moderate Fire/Lethal damage and deals additonal Fire damage over time.
    Spoiler

• Plasma Beam: A ranged, narrow cone attack that deals moderate Energy damage and slightly reduces the target's damage resistance.
    Spoiler

Sound added by me

• Plasma Shot: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Energy damage and slightly reduces the target's Regeneration.
    Spoiler

Sound added by me

• Snap Shot: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Lethal damage and has a chance to knock targets down.
    Spoiler

IDF Mobile Turret

x2uA0Fv.png

• Plasma Cannon Blast: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Energy damage.
    Spoiler

Despite this being a critter you can fight right now in the actual game, the Mobile Turret's powers' FX seem to be unfinished, and have no sound whatsoever. So, I added some from other powers.

• Plasma Cannon Burst: A single-target ranged attack that deals moderate Energy damage and slightly reduces the target's Regeneration.
    Spoiler

Sound added by me

• Plasma Cannon Detonator: A ranged, targeted AoE attack that deals moderate Energy damage, deals additional minor Energy damage over time, and has a chance to knock targets down.
    Spoiler

Sound added by me

• Plasma Cannon Spray: A ranged cone attack that deals moderate Energy damage and slightly reduces targets' Regeneration.
    Spoiler

Sound added by me

• Plasma Vent: A PBAoE attack that deals moderate Energy damage over time and slightly reduces targets' Regeneration.
    Spoiler

Sound added by me

Edited by Vanden
  • Like 8
  • Thumbs Up 4

Considering you don't actually get to meet Provost Marchand in Primal Earth (at least, I haven't found him yet) and Mr. G is removed as an available contact during his 3rd arc (admittedly, only if you agree to Vanguard's request), who would you make the the patron of these pools? All things considered, it should probably be a neutral patron. And that patron should be an IDF leader or PPD leader. My opinion at least.

(I was going to argue that the IDF turrets are bosses, then remembered that some ATs do get bosses as pets as their patron pool final power.) I'm not sure how all ATs getting pets would make the proposed pools stack against the other Ancillary Power Pools and Patron Power Pools, but as someone who likes fielding pets, I'm definitely not going to complain.

(Edit: What if it was Ivy? 😆)

Edited by Rudra
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Considering you don't actually get to meet Provost Marchand in Primal Earth (at least, I haven't found him yet) and Mr. G is removed as an available contact during his 3rd arc (admittedly, only if you agree to Vanguard's request), who would you make the the patron of these pools? All things considered, it should probably be a neutral patron. And that patron should be an IDF leader or PPD leader. My opinion at least.

I don't really understand your question. Force Gauntlets and robotic drones are pieces of technology that anyone can use. They don't need a capital-P Patron to give you permission to use them. Not even the actual Patron pools are required to work that way, considering you can run the arc for Black Scorpion to learn how to cast Mu magic.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Considering you don't actually get to meet Provost Marchand in Primal Earth (at least, I haven't found him yet)

He's in Brickstown after the war. Provost Marchand (Primal Earth) - Unofficial Homecoming Wiki

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

I guess my question has a few parts to it.

First, and this is strictly a preference, not a requirement, is contact interaction. Despite having a given location, I have not yet found Provost Marchand in Primal Earth. And Mr. G can be betrayed and removed as a contact. I would like to be able to interact face to face with the patron. Both contacts still work. You can call Provost Marchand and you can interact with Mr. G until the final mission of his 3rd arc even if you betray him. My preference would be a contact that you can meet face to face that does not simply get removed. Just a preference though.

Second would be duplication. Having a neutral patron would prevent having the same patron pools coming from 2 different patrons. Can they be provided by 2 different patrons? Sure. So in this case, I'm basically asking if you are set on 2 patrons to grant the same pools or is there a neutral option to avoid duplicate patrons.

Third is applicability. Provost Marchand with his pre-invasion ties works well because of his ties to both the PPD and the IDF. Mr. G also works, though less directly, because his shapeshifting ability allows him to impersonate anyone he wants and so gain access to whatever he wants. If both are used as patrons? Then aside from duplication, there is no question of applicability. If a neutral patron were to be selected, then the recommendation would be for that individual to have known connections to at least the PPD or IDF.

So the question then becomes: Are you set on Provost Marchand and Mr. G as being the patrons or would you accept a neutral patron? And if you are willing to accept a neutral patron, who would it be? Bear in mind, I am not opposing any part of the OP. I just have those questions.

(The Ivy part is me just having fun.)

As awesome as this is - and I fully support new epics/patron powers - I also think these could easily be their own full sets (Tech Blast/Tech Control) or as alternate animations for Energy Blast/Energy Aura if they were expanded a bit FX-wise. Those animations are too cool to lock behind just patrol pools imo, though I'd still happily take them if that's the only route where we'd get them.

Great suggestion and I dig all the effort you put in to detail all of it. Fantastic proof of concept showing what folks would get.

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

7 hours ago, TheZag said:

You didnt have time to build them to scale or paint them?

Something like that 😉

16 hours ago, Rudra said:

I guess my question has a few parts to it.

First, and this is strictly a preference, not a requirement, is contact interaction. Despite having a given location, I have not yet found Provost Marchand in Primal Earth. And Mr. G can be betrayed and removed as a contact. I would like to be able to interact face to face with the patron. Both contacts still work. You can call Provost Marchand and you can interact with Mr. G until the final mission of his 3rd arc even if you betray him. My preference would be a contact that you can meet face to face that does not simply get removed. Just a preference though.

Second would be duplication. Having a neutral patron would prevent having the same patron pools coming from 2 different patrons. Can they be provided by 2 different patrons? Sure. So in this case, I'm basically asking if you are set on 2 patrons to grant the same pools or is there a neutral option to avoid duplicate patrons.

Third is applicability. Provost Marchand with his pre-invasion ties works well because of his ties to both the PPD and the IDF. Mr. G also works, though less directly, because his shapeshifting ability allows him to impersonate anyone he wants and so gain access to whatever he wants. If both are used as patrons? Then aside from duplication, there is no question of applicability. If a neutral patron were to be selected, then the recommendation would be for that individual to have known connections to at least the PPD or IDF.

So the question then becomes: Are you set on Provost Marchand and Mr. G as being the patrons or would you accept a neutral patron? And if you are willing to accept a neutral patron, who would it be? Bear in mind, I am not opposing any part of the OP. I just have those questions.

I still don't really know how to answer this. To me, who gives you this pool would be the least interesting part of it. When I suggest the Provost Marchand and Mr. G arcs to unlock the pool, Provost Marchand and Mr. G are not the ones giving you the pool, they're simply the contacts for the arcs. Heroside, it's easy to imagine Alec Parson and Grant Creston helping you get a set of force gauntlets of your own, and villainside your character could simply steal a pair during the mission where you encounter some Praetorian loyalists, with perhaps some help from Splice to make them work for you.

• Like 1

• 7 months later

I like the idea of a Praetorian Pool and your write-up is detailed and cool!  Obviously, we have to test it and maybe change or adjust.

I would suggest completion of the Number 6 arc as the final note of Preatoria.  Plus it's a super cool arc that I think a lot of people haven't done. It was never live, the "Find Contact" button doesn't direct you to him, and he's kind of tucked away in a corner of the RWZ base.   https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Number_Six