What AT & powerset combos evoke certain superheros for you?

Zhym

Some powerset combos immediately make me think of certain classic superheroes.  For example:

• Invuln/SS Tanker: Superman
  • Shield/SS Tanker: Captain America
  • Claws/Regen Scrapper: Wolverine

And so forth.  What other AT and powerset combos make you think, "Oh, this is totally [insert superhero here]?"

My tri-form PB, despite looking like a lobster/crab 2/3s of the time, feels so much like Captain Marvel.
Ice/Ice sent feels like Iceman to me, if not a little obvious 😉 

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

I think a lot of these were intentional back in the day, honestly.

Fire/Fire Blaster = Human Torch

Invulnerable/Super Strength Tanker = Colossus/Juggernaut/Hulk/Atom Smasher/etc.

Storm Controller = Storm/Cyclone/Weather Wizard

Mind/Energy Dominator for Telepathy/Telekinetic concepts e.g. Jean Grey and Grav/Eng for Magneto.

Dark/Energy Dominators  for mystical/eldritch characters e.g. Doctor Fate (Although he might be better emulated by using Gravity), Felix Faust, Scarlet Witch or Dormammu.

Basically Dominators make you feel like an all-rounded energy projector superhero/villain who can use their powers in a variety of ways instead of braindead pew pew blasters.

Super Strength / Invuln (Brute or Tank) for majority of DC's cast. Everyone seems to have like 100 tonnes superstrength there.

A mutant-origin Necromancy paired with Dark or Time could be a good emulator for Selene from Marvel's Hellfire Club (feeding on people's psychic energy and enslaving them)

Of course the Trick Arrow Paired with Archery is just Green Arrow/Hawkeye etc etc bow lovers.

A Sonic/Martial Blaster is 100% Black Canary inspired

I will always have a problem with people saying CoX Super Strength fits Superman.   I never knew so many people were that stupid.  Damn sad really.  Do any of those people remember Superman having massive rage issues?   Because aside from a one off story line here and there I seem to recall Superman was written as a very calm and thoughtful individual.  But who knows, I hallucinate a lot when I drink too much blood

• Like 1

Battle Axe/Bio - Spawn (just need a sentient cape and chains)

PB/WS - Marvel Symbiotes to a degree

Dark/Savage Domi - Morbius

Rad/Fire Blaster - Starfire

Stone Armor Brute/Tank - The Thing (note the Granite Armor model in game inspired the stone armor hero in Sky High)

Water/Storm Corruptor - Aspen Matthews 

Realistically can keep going and going, you get the idea.

20 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I will always have a problem with people saying CoX Super Strength fits Superman.   I never knew so many people were that stupid.  Damn sad really.  Do any of those people remember Superman having massive rage issues?   Because aside from a one off story line here and there I seem to recall Superman was written as a very calm and thoughtful individual.  But who knows, I hallucinate a lot when I drink too much blood

That's why my Superman...er, "homage"...didn't take Rage.  It's optional.  I opted out.

• Like 1

Just now, Zhym said:

That's why my Superman...er, "homage"...didn't take Rage.  It's optional.  I opted out.

You can do that.  You can also make a petless Mastermind as a character.  Or a Tanker that actively reduces threat level and does not take Taunt.  In my opinion all of these are about equivalent 

Superman - But not so much everyone's super strength deal.  I was more like Invulnerability and Flight is what makes me think of the Man of Steel.

The Flash - Super Speed is the only thing I attribute to him.  I know that isn't all he has but that what my mind evokes.  In game, I think Flash when I see a super speeder, even if they are a pixie sized female character with butterfly wings and a vivid purple costume.

The Punisher - Assault Rifle and Body Armor (Munitions Mastery).  You have a rifle, that's who you are.  That's who you were thinking of when you made your character and you know it 🙂

The Human Torch (Johnny Storm version) - Fire/Fire Blaster is spot of and the only thing I think of.  You can be dressed as a cat girl and you are still Johnny Storm, cat girl.

Wolverine - Claws/Regen - You know what you did and that's okay.

But most don't truly evoke a specific hero (or villain) for me in large part because of the fact that they never quite fit.  Sometimes it is pure costume aesthetic, the way the power manifests in game doesn't quite sync up with the character in comics.  Other times its the mechanism of the power as it is rendered.  That is part of why I enjoy the game so much because the powers don't fully mesh up with a specific character.  You have a shield and some melee power but you aren't throwing it doing three point ricochet shots so you aren't the First Avenger.  You have the costume and chose devices but you cannot be the Dark Knight because post comics code says no guns.  You have the satin tights and you want to fight for our rights but try to make the powers work there, you cannot be the Princess of Themyscira.  No webs no Spiderman . . . the list goes on and on.  And that is great.

That allowed me to make my own characters (albeit always locked into a specific gender but that was my choice) and therefore able to create my own stories.  The Munitions' Mistress, a hard core merc and mother with a lot of issues.  Krystala, a rock Blaster and renegade from the Circle of Thorns who now hunts them.  Boom Boom Britta, the inexperienced Kineticist from Praetoria struggling after the loss of her home world.  Runeslinger, the awesome magic girl and her awesome pistols Sigil and Glyph.  Tempus Fabulous the temporal scientist from an alternate earth where science is respected who desperately tries to get people in this earth to listen to reason before its too late.

All because the game evoked the spirit of super heroes not the super heroes themselves.  I know it sounds like I am up on a soapbox, and I would be lying if I said I hadn't made characters inspired by comic characters (albeit Punisher with breasts), but the copies, the ones where I tried to be like those comics characters never lasted.

• Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

But who knows, I hallucinate a lot when I drink too much blood

If you didn't keep tapping the junkies outside the rehab centers, you wouldn't have that problem...   😁

To keep with the thread theme:

Ice/Ice Blaster - Mr. Freeze

• Haha 1

Martial Arts + Super Reflexes feels pretty Batman to me. Although him being a brute, scrapper, or stalker I'll leave as a discussion topic for the group. Sure he has gadgets, but those I'd call one of his pool choices since they generally just help him get around or do light crowd control. 

Combat Teleport is 100% Nightstalker's BAMF!

• Like 1