I Miss Double XP Weekends

QuiJon

I mean yes i get it, we can have double xp anytime we want with no influence gain and that is all fine and good. But i mean over all the "anticipation" of that weekend coming up where you knew the servers would be crowded and players would make a point of getting back into the game and playing because the weekend was special.

I really dont see why we cant still have some of this. I get doing more then the double xp we can already earn might seem excessive, but i feel like maybe doing a 3x XP with Double Influence weekend, or even just a normal 2x xp and influence weekend would be fun to have again. Maybe get some people back playing and earning some good xp and influence at the same time for a special occasion.

And i could not think of a better time to do it then maybe with the LONG weekend we have coming up in Novemeber for the American Holiday of Thanksgiving. Have it start on Black Friday and end either Sunday at midnight or just when the servers reset on Tuesday even.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

The new Halloween Elite Bosses give x5 XP AND Inf each defeat. And you get badges that grant Prismatic Aethers too!

And require you to do one event with a crowd if people that all share that xp across a league and in about 20 minutes you have maxed the salvage reward cause you have gotten all the badges. Then what just keep ringing doorbells the rest of the month?

The double weekend's allowed for continual bonus reward no matter level, team make up, or activity. And over all were just fun.

Edited by QuiJon

How about instead of a 2x XP weekend, since xp rates are already increased compared to Live and as you said, anyone can make any day double xp day, something else were to be implemented? It's already ridiculously easy to out-level content in the game, especially gold side, and that is before you add in the P2W vendor's 2x XP buff.

It can't be 2x merits either, because that is covered by the WTF/WSF.

So maybe a 2x Inf' weekend bit? I don't know. I was never a fan of 2x weekends and was very glad when the ability to turn off xp was made available to us, so I could ignore the double xp rates of those weekends. And with the ease with which brand new characters can hit 50 as is, I don't see a point to a double xp weekend on top of the double xp buffs and the increased xp rewards the game already has.

I do miss the excitement of the DXP weekends and the constant teams. But in the 2009/10 one I didn’t sleep and only ate bread and jam. I’m 31 now, I think I’d die.

• Haha 3

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

I've suggested taking 2XP out of the p2w vendor and doing a 2XP week every month.

If this is far too radical then I'd suggest doing the 2XP week and then having a 25% XP boost at the vendor. Alternatively, allow the p2w give very time limited 2XP.

Edited by BurtHutt
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Whether the XP and INF is spread across 1 player or 30, it's still five times the amount. And if you grab a double xp temp, you can make even more XP per defeat. Great way to level up a new character or get the last few levels a player might need.

The thing is i am not talking about just wanting to level a toon. I am talking bout having a fun weekend with lots of different activities happening because the populations on the server are generally higher. I frankly hate the idea that people come to PI and join a TOT league to let the crowd PL their new characters. To me this is the draw back of the TOT events not a feature. I can level a character to 50 on my own within a couple hours even with no event running. 

The XP and Influence bonus is NOT the event its the basis of why you get more people back on the servers for the weekend to play with people. 

12 hours ago, Xiddo said:

I do miss the excitement of the DXP weekends and the constant teams. But in the 2009/10 one I didn’t sleep and only ate bread and jam. I’m 31 now, I think I’d die.

You would be surprised i was 34 when the game came out and was doing 16 hours days during the double xp weekend. 

3 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

I've suggested taking 2XP out of the p2w vendor and doing a 2XP week every month.

If this is far too radical then I'd suggest doing the 2XP week and then having a 25% XP boost at the vendor. Alternatively, allow the p2w give very time limited 2XP.

How about a weekend where you can naturally just do double xp and influence in everything, and if you would like the p2w bonus could kick xp up to 225 percent but knock influence down to just normal influence at all times. So essentially you can get double double in all cases or double and a quarter xp and standard influence in all instances. So the bonus is that no matter how much extra xp you choose to take, you can also make at minimum full influence up to double influence for lower xp. 

@QuiJon, your arguments are in conflict.

22 minutes ago, QuiJon said:

I frankly hate the idea that people come to PI and join a TOT league to let the crowd PL their new characters. To me this is the draw back of the TOT events not a feature. I can level a character to 50 on my own within a couple hours even with no event running. 

16 minutes ago, QuiJon said:

How about a weekend where you can naturally just do double xp and influence in everything, and if you would like the p2w bonus could kick xp up to 225 percent but knock influence down to just normal influence at all times. So essentially you can get double double in all cases or double and a quarter xp and standard influence in all instances. So the bonus is that no matter how much extra xp you choose to take, you can also make at minimum full influence up to double influence for lower xp. 

You say you find the power leveling of ToT'ing in PI (or GV) to be a drawback of the events, yet you fixate on pumping up the xp gains even higher. If you want a monthly weekend event to draw people into playing together but are not a fan of the power leveling as espoused by the ToT leagues, then why not a different approach to the idea? What would be an incentive to get people to all come on over the weekend and run content together? That isn't yet higher xp gain rates on top of the already increased xp gain rate and the P2W x2 xp buffs?

• Thumbs Up 1

I do like the event weekends because of the increased traffic, and the planning; it’s a must-attend event that brings in players.

If double (or more) XP isn’t attractive, other ideas include:

• Lootmania. Change the drop rate and/or level range for items. Maybe 2x regular drop rate, or make purple drops land on low-level players. It would create some churn in the market and extract some money from rich players looking for rare goods.
  • Increased Inf* rate. This could bring players in and, as above, create some action in the markets.
  • Extra rewards for TF/SF/Trials, mission completions, AE, or some other specific activity.
  • Double number of mobs per spawn, just for kicks.

If you want to avoid the stigma of power-leveling, just give a % chance to auto-level up for any non-gray enemy your team defeats (as long as you did damage). That would make for a fun weekend, even if the chance is like 1/500.

Using the “bug attacks” software on a semi-regular basis would also be good.

Edited by MHertz

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

@QuiJon, your arguments are in conflict.

You say you find the power leveling of ToT'ing in PI (or GV) to be a drawback of the events, yet you fixate on pumping up the xp gains even higher. If you want a monthly weekend event to draw people into playing together but are not a fan of the power leveling as espoused by the ToT leagues, then why not a different approach to the idea? What would be an incentive to get people to all come on over the weekend and run content together? That isn't yet higher xp gain rates on top of the already increased xp gain rate and the P2W x2 xp buffs?

The real benefit of that system would be the influence gain more then the xp, since it's a minor bump to over all xp levels that p2w vendors allow already 24/7.

But the main thing is that even with level 50s we could play content and earn vet levels and rewards faster, earn money while getting to level at double xp.

Yes everything you could do is gonna be farmed in some way. But granting the benefits at the base earning level allows for the greatest variance of available activities to take part in all while earning the benefits.

On 10/30/2022 at 3:59 PM, Glacier Peak said:

Whether the XP and INF is spread across 1 player or 30, it's still five times the amount. And if you grab a double xp temp, you can make even more XP per defeat. Great way to level up a new character or get the last few levels a player might need.

Sorry it took me a while to respond to this one because i wanted to see numbers to make sure. First off again for me it is not about power leveling or getting the xp fast, it is about the fun of taking part in playing a game i enjoy with alot of other people. That doesnt mean i dont power level, i do. But the TOT event as it is, is really a horrible way to do it. And the fact that  you keep coming back to the rewards of it show me your missing my point. The event basically locks you into one of a few activities, doing the HH, TOT, or killing monsters. The double xp weekends allowed for people to marathon run through TFs of every type and trials etc. 

But just for kicks to show you its not a numbers game for me. During yesterdays last day TOT on the PI league my level 50 was getting 29k xp per EB boss kill. That same toon can go into a AE mission on a map loaded with 3-4 bosses per mob (BOSSES NOT EBs, so easier kills really) and make 38k per boss in xp. If i use one of my maps in the 'real world" i have that is suitable for farming, same toon make 78k per boss kill. So yes even at 5x the XP ToT is not an efficient means of power leveling unless you are a player that has no choice because you cant figure out how to dual box, or are just lazy and figure you will stand around and let others do the work. The double xp weekends, though sure allow people to PL and farm, also allow players that want to actually play, do even level appropriate missions and TFs to get the better rewards rather then just coasting on a mob. 

That mob will always be there, looking for a way to boost a lowbie toon or get those last few levels as you put it. We shouldnt not hold events that would be fun for others because people will farm. If that was the case then you are arguing against events like the halloween event since you admit it is farmable. What i am looking for is putting back in events that at least give you freedom of game play for the reward it offers. And the structured events dont allow for that. And the thing is i heard from people this year that even with the new badges were on the fence about coming back into the game for the halloween event because they had done it so many times. The new badges were just MORE ToTing. 

All i am saying is give the bonus or event over to something that provides variety. Someone mentioned other options, well sure. Like how about during the christmas even purple drop rates were doubled or trippled, incarnate salvage rewards were doubled from trials, every TF or Trial completed granted a winter IO. etc. I mean it doesnt have to be xp and influence. Just something that gets people playing doing more then just farming snap tooth for a few days and then after badging all their toons being done with the event. 

3 hours ago, QuiJon said:

But just for kicks to show you its not a numbers game for me. During yesterdays last day TOT on the PI league my level 50 was getting 29k xp per EB boss kill. That same toon can go into a AE mission on a map loaded with 3-4 bosses per mob (BOSSES NOT EBs, so easier kills really) and make 38k per boss in xp. If i use one of my maps in the 'real world" i have that is suitable for farming, same toon make 78k per boss kill. 

Venturing to dip my toes in the rabbit hole of what you just described... you were in a league where rewards are shared and then you went to an AE mission, (I'm assuming solo, but correct me if I am wrong), and you noticed the rewards were different? These numbers just aren't adding up for me. Could you answer some of my questions below?

How many members were in the league when you received that 29k XP for an Elite Boss defeat?

What level was that Elite Boss?

What level was your character that defeated the Elite Boss while ToTing?

How many members were in the AE mission when you received 38k XP for a Boss defeat?

What level was the AE content ran at? (Example, +4/x8 or +1/x4?)

What level was your character that defeated that Boss in the AE mission?

When you used your map in 'real world' scenario described above, how many members were in the AE mission when you received 78k XP for a Boss defeat?

What level was the AE content mentioned above ran at?

What level was your character that defeated the Boss in the AE mission?

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

9 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Venturing to dip my toes in the rabbit hole of what you just described... you were in a league where rewards are shared and then you went to an AE mission, (I'm assuming solo, but correct me if I am wrong), and you noticed the rewards were different? These numbers just aren't adding up for me. Could you answer some of my questions below?

How many members were in the league when you received that 29k XP for an Elite Boss defeat?

What level was that Elite Boss?

What level was your character that defeated the Elite Boss while ToTing?

How many members were in the AE mission when you received 38k XP for a Boss defeat?

What level was the AE content ran at? (Example, +4/x8 or +1/x4?)

What level was your character that defeated that Boss in the AE mission?

When you used your map in 'real world' scenario described above, how many members were in the AE mission when you received 78k XP for a Boss defeat?

What level was the AE content mentioned above ran at?

What level was your character that defeated the Boss in the AE mission?

I was on the same level 50 in both situations. I dont know how many where in the league but even if the xp was better also soloing the eb, which I have done in other times though not these ebs, it's the time difference that was the concern I am getting at. I am capable of soloing more xp per hour in an ae mission the on a tot league. And if not mistaken both league and ae were spawning 54s.

Not trying to argue, iui am just saying a tot league is only faster leveling if you dont have the means to otherwise level yourself. Killing a mob of things that die easier is just better xp then 1 thing that takes longer. In the ae at level 54 I can kill 2 to 3 mobs of enemies also made to barely damage me in the time it takes to solo 1 eb on my own which I dont get to chose the powers if.

The only reason I did tot leagues this year was for the prismatic salvage. So about 20 minutes a toon. Last couple years I skipped it completely cause all the toons I badge had them all. As an event these repetitive tasks do not get the population really playing like a double xp weekend used to. 

Both ae and the contact mission were solo, I was using a sentinel at the time but normally farm with a spines fire brute. But when I farm it is normally just my farm toon and whatever I am leveling so though xp might change slightly kill times would be the same.

Edited by QuiJon

I haven't read the entire thread, maybe this was already suggested but instead of 2x xp or 2x inf what if it was increased purples/rares drop rate for enhancements/recipes? Once or twice a month do a "Rare" Weekend. Maybe, exclude AE from the increased drop rate so it forces people to do TF's and other content. IDK.

Just a suggestion. I do agree, think we all miss that special weekend where its unrelated to a holiday or anything specific, its just a few days a month to look forward to playing w/ additional rewards. However due to the vendor I think XP isn't all that interesting but at this point its such a staple of this server taking it away would be more harmful than good. 

A 2xp weekend sounds good, provided that AE is excluded, or it will just turn into AE farming weekend. It would be a great chance to equalize leveling speeds for AE and non-AE players!

Alternately, a double drops weekend sounds good too (again, excluding AE). There have been many adjustments to exp gain on HC, but reward rates are still very low for most content.