Siege's (and other War Walkers') faces...

biostem

I've included 2 images below.  What I'm wondering is whether Siege's, (and the other War Walkers') face is the central panel, (blue arrow), or the 2 more triangular side panels, (red arrows), or some combination thereof...

Siege3.jpg

Siege.jpg

EDIT:  Heck, the more I look at it, now I'm wondering if his "eyes" could be the 3 horizontal lines above the central panel, (kind of like a knight's helm)...

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1

Seriously though.  I read a study (no way to cite, decades ago, and my memory is going to butcher the details) that the closer a construct (robot android) gets to human the more humans “like” it.  Until a certain magic point where humans think it is creepy as hell.  This Siege construct is still just a toy like creature suited for making a childs toy

One of the reasons I avoid certain designs when constructing my robotic NPCs (one of my themes) is the lack of eyes.  And no smooth way to cram them on.  Bunker shield and Bot shield can solve a lot of that but do not look right with many helmets due to fit or obvious difference in texture and in effect look slapped on instead of integrated. 

Whoever designed Siege did a pretty good job but decided to go for a very basic noggin with some panels that may be radar arrays, access plates, or a spot to write random notes while working in the lab

4 hours ago, nihilii said:

Oh no... It's the cyberdemon's eyes debate all over again, isn't it. 😂

171519536_cyberdemonstickeyes.png.54b92f

I'm fond of the idea it is a knight's helm. Fits with the medieval theme and all.

More of a minotaur

image.png.015e4ec04f92b45cf23b5f0b0baf5da9.png

As for Siege, I'm gonna say angry Cyclops.  It's a Romulus plot!

image.png.6fa59d59d6439195f2a9ec087c2a54cf.png

• Like 1

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

Seriously though.  I read a study (no way to cite, decades ago, and my memory is going to butcher the details) that the closer a construct (robot android) gets to human the more humans “like” it.  Until a certain magic point where humans think it is creepy as hell.

Are you talking about the uncanny valley?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

What this team needs is more Defenders

21 minutes ago, Psyonico said:

Are you talking about the uncanny valley?

He is.

Siege, or any other android, needs no face or even head.  The sensors that act as eyes could be installed anywhere and not look like eyes.  As Snarky points out, humans crave that interaction, and therefore build a head or face.  I actually prefer faceless in a villain robot precisely for that reason: the inability to read gesture or emotion, the anonymity is unsettling.  It's like Star Trek's Borg: they were far more terrifying when they didn't have a queen, but were a swarm working to an unseen hive mind.  A queen (or spokesborg Locutus) gave them a face, a head, something we could kill.  If Seige had been constructed without a head and plate for a face, he'd have been far more unsettling, even terrifying.  We'd lose that sense that if you hit the face, if you destroy the head, you defeat the enemy.  Without it we're left guessing where to strike.

Edited by Techwright
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Techwright said:

He is.

Siege, or any other android, needs no face or even head.  The sensors that act as eyes could be installed anywhere and not look like eyes.  As Snarky points out, humans crave that interaction, and therefore build a head or face.  I actually prefer faceless in a villain robot precisely for that reason: the inability to read gesture or emotion, the anonymity is unsettling.  It's like Star Trek's Borg: they were far more terrifying when they didn't have a queen, but were a swarm working to an unseen hive mind.  A queen (or spokesborg Locutus) gave them a face, a head, something we could kill.  If Seige had been constructed without a head and plate for a face, he'd have been far more unsettling, even terrifying.  We'd lose that sense that if you hit the face, if you destroy the head, you defeat the enemy.  Without it we're left guessing where to strike.

By that (sound) logic, there would be a tactical advantage to a War Walker having what looks like a "face" or a "head" but which contains no vital equipment.  It might fool an attacker into thinking the head is a weak spot and thus wasting attacks that might have been targeted at more truly sensitive areas.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Zhym said:

By that (sound) logic, there would be a tactical advantage to a War Walker having what looks like a "face" or a "head" but which contains no vital equipment.  It might fool an attacker into thinking the head is a weak spot and thus wasting attacks that might have been targeted at more truly sensitive areas.

Have you ever seen Bablyon 5/Crusade's "A Call To Arms" TV movie?  That's exactly the tactic the villains used when sending their death machine towards earth.  They created a dummy core towards the center of their machine, something they knew humans would shoot at due to its centrality, and hid the real brains of the device in a node off to one side of the doomsday machine. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"I was lucky that thing had knees."

"That was not his knee."  (agonized groan in background) 

ST2E08001[1].jpg

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!