Warhammer 40K Commissar or squad leader?

biostem

How would you folks go about creating a Warhammer 40K Commissar or Imperial Guard squad leader?  A merc/traps MM seems a bit too on the nose and several of the key powers don't really fit, IMHO.  I suppose thugs could represent a penal legion squad leader.  Maybe a pistols/ninja blaster so you could have the pistol and sword, with your team being your squad?  Something like a beam rifle/willpower sentinel could work, aping the similar "team as squad" approach.  I suppose you could do robots/traps to represent a Cult Mechanicus squad?  Any other ideas?  Thanks for reading!

Edited by biostem

I've got a few WH40K knock-offs:

Sisters of battle: DP/Ninja blaster (the bolters could be beefier, and the sword strike could be grittier but it works)
Death Korps of Krieg: AR/Traps corr (no melee, but the AR comes with snipe, Auto and Flamer so it's close enough)
[generic] Space Marine: SoA (nice combination of rifle, nades and mace... and a butt-load of armour)
Palladin: Mace/Shield Brute: (axe or sword works just as well, but mace choices do it for me)
Servant of the Silent King [Necron Technomancer]: Beam/Dark Blaster
Guardsman: Beam/Dev/Mace blaster (mace is just for show --slung across his back-- since I don't have melee attacks with it on a blaster so just the lasgun while the gun drone is his "bolter")

And I suppose you can stretch this to fit a commissar... SoA crab. I took AR AoEs (for the bolter action + nades), Crab leg suppression fire for lasgun, mace mastery and Omega maneuvre and 'lings for flavour. Form wins over function as the redraw from the mace, AR and crab legs really takes its toll. Also, it's a slotting nightmare as you get a tonne of varied powers, but no way to get the most out of it.

DuPion.png.c6fc7bd32ece76f96083fae3e43a4aaf.png

Edited by Six-Six
  • Thumbs Up 1

Shield/Mace tanker on a huge body gives you a pretty solid thunder hammer/storm shield terminator.  One of the head detail options even looks like a terminator helmet.

I saw someone running a dark/something blaster as a chaos sorcerer a couple years back.

Scrapper/Brute/Tanker with investment in an electric or psychic ancillary pool gives you a Grey Knight.

Edited by Black Zot
  • Thumbs Up 1

Merc/Pain is my Commissar. Commissar Tothias. 100% always in RP. Check the pain powers and tell me it doesn't fit. Enforced morale?  That right there sold it. Plus the mercs die almost as easily as your standard guardsmen. Almost.

The tall military hat fits, and the small epaulets. Black trench coat. Red CoT sash (since all Commissars have a red sash). None of the insignia are in there, and the shirt/pants/boots are debatable for best fit for the character. I shaped weapon to a vanguard rifle since it kiiiinda looks like a Las gun.

Also, I have a bunch of macros programmed so as to do a little more than spam, "For the Emperor". RPing almost to a troll level.

• Thumbs Up 1