Mastermind Wishlist

PaxArcana

So, my love of MMs has been rekindled by Homecoming.  But there's still a few things I feel could be vastly improved.  I don't know if these are something tat can be coded in or not, but ...

Travel Powers

My biggest returned pet peeve (haha, pun) is that in order to travel from A to B any faster than Sprint, I need to /dismiss all my pets (or else, drag the pain-train right up my own tailpipe as the pets aggro everything along the way).  I wish my pets got the same travel power I picked, and turning mine on turned theirs on too.

More pet types

I want more.  More.  MORE...!

How about Psychic Mastery - summon psychic/psionic beings, essentially nightmares?

Why not Coralax Mastery ...?

How about a bunch of super-powered sidekicks - basically, NPC heroes or villains, with varied powers, as pets?

More secondaries

I want some CONTROL-themed secondaries, not just buff/debuff stuff.  Let's proliferate some of the Controller and Dominator primaries over as MM secondaries.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Good point, I should have thought of that myself.

In my defense, I've been sick as hell the past few days ... ::cough, cough:: ... :D

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

I want some CONTROL-themed secondaries, not just buff/debuff stuff.  Let's proliferate some of the Controller and Dominator primaries over as MM secondaries.

Control secondaries might be a bit overpowering for us. I mean, the ability to lock down an entire spawn and then vaporize them with aoe damage? Might be a BIT much. Especially since immobilize is set to turn kb into kd now. Imagine taking the aoe immobilize power, and letting your pets just decimate the spawn...

Would be glorious, but a bit op. :)

So you go with only single-target holds and immobilizes.

The sets don't have to be ported unchanged, after all.  :)

Control secondaries might be a bit overpowering for us. I mean, the ability to lock down an entire spawn and then vaporize them with aoe damage? Might be a BIT much. Especially since immobilize is set to turn kb into kd now. Imagine taking the aoe immobilize power, and letting your pets just decimate the spawn...

Would be glorious, but a bit op. :)

I don't see it as OP personally?  Considering quite a few classes are literally OP to an extreme (There are multiple classes that can carry an entire group with themselves only on the highest difficulties).

You would be losing heals, and support for your pets.  You either lock the enemy down, or your pets start dying.

I don't think it should be a "Mastermind" though, and probably a sub-class, like Sentinel.  Due to the fact that people might take a Mastermind for their defender secondary, just to find out its a controller secondary.

Two random ideas I'd have for "wouldn't it be cool", pie-in-the-sky-type Mastermind sets: one would be, if Illusion isn't gonna get ported to Dominators, port it to MMs instead.  First tier pet is Phantom Army, second is Phantasm (and Decoy), third is a mobile Spectral Terror.  They'd need some power upgrades, but it could work.  Damage would be high, but use the Spectral Wounds mechanics.  The other idea is Doppelgangers.  All your pets look like you, and the blasts for the set are the same ones the pets use (not sure what attack type would be appropriate there, though).

• Like 1

The other idea is Doppelgangers.  All your pets look like you, and the blasts for the set are the same ones the pets use (not sure what attack type would be appropriate there, though).

... that would be really, really cool ... but might give that MM too much advantage in PvP.  Which isn't necessarily a reason to abandon the idea, it's just something that should be kept in mind.  :)

I'd like an update to the 'medicine' power pool to be more interesting, personally.

Make Field Medic a passive, have it grant more interesting bonuses to the other powers in the set (IE : Aid Other can affect up to 3 targets at once, Injection gains some interesting benefit when used offensively, giving Resuscitate a small boost when you have FM, etc). Also remove the interrupt from Aid Other baseline.

• Like 1

I want attack defensive to be considered bodyguard mode

I want brawl removed from all ranged pets

I want ranged pets to stop running to melee to use their powers

I want a higher damage cap on pets.

I want recharge to work on pets.

I want pet health increased by 20% across the board.

I want autohit aoe nukes from npc's removed or have their autohit flag removed. this unfairly punishes mm's the most out of any AT.

What do you mean, "bodyguard mode" ...?

The former would achieve the latter.

Also, +1

I don't agree.  We get so MANY pets, that effectively, MM's already exceed anyone else's damage cap (when you add all the pets' DPS together).

+1 - especially since Pet damage sets include Recharge enhancements.

Or, alternately, let us slot Health enhancements to increase pet health.

I want autohit aoe nukes from npc's removed or have their autohit flag removed. this unfairly punishes mm's the most out of any AT.

Hmm.  Or maybe just reduce the damage they do to pets?

The former would achieve the latter.

Also, +1

I don't agree.  We get so MANY pets, that effectively, MM's already exceed anyone else's damage cap (when you add all the pets' DPS together).

+1 - especially since Pet damage sets include Recharge enhancements.

Or, alternately, let us slot Health enhancements to increase pet health.

Hmm.  Or maybe just reduce the damage they do to pets?

bodyguard mode only works in goto defensive and follow defensive. the minute you put them in any other mode it's shut off. someone incorrectly claimed attack defensive works but it does not.

in bodyguard, damage you take is split between you and your pets. without it you get squished. but while in bodyguard mode your pets pick their targets frequently and this is inefficient for clearing.

ranged pets will run up and use a ranged attack at point blank without ever using brawl. it's an ai change that went in with demons since demons are mostly melee range. it's annoying on sets that aren't demons or beasts or pure melee.

Bodyguard mode is when your pets are in defensive stance, but haven't been told to specifically attack something. Any damage that strikes the mastermind is split between the MM and the pets, so if you have your full group out, the MM takes 1/7th of the damage, and the other 6/7ths is split among the pets.

It's what can make masterminds incredibly tanky.

The downside is that when you (or they) are attacked the pets will just randomly start fighting, instead of focusing down one enemy at a time to be more efficient.

RE: Bodyguard

I understand now.  I've played MMs since they first were made, but ... all my MMs were "I'll stand over here while my minions do all the heavy lifting" non-attack types, so I never needed to learn what that was.  :)

This wont happen unless they can rework the entire AI of pets. It was the exact reason why they removed +recharge on pets, their AI went totaly bonkers.

As for travel, group flight still works on your pets, they follow you just fine :P

All great stuff,

I'd like stay to actually work.  If I say stay, I want them to plant their feet there and not move, even if in aggressive or defensive, they need to be turrets and stop chasing down runners.

There are only two things I want for Masterminds.

The first is an appearance alteration for pets. This could be as small as switching between categories. Like Thugs could have "Mafia" or "Thug" themed. Ninjas could have "Rogue" or "Ninja" theme. Zombies could be "Skeleton" or "Zombie" Ect. Or also, just a coloration alteration would work for me, perhaps choosing a "Primary" and "Secondary" color theme for your pets so they are all matching.

The second is a Dinosaur power. They could do so much with this. The Tier 1's could be raptors! You would have a million people name them after Jurassic World, but raptors would be the perfect Tier 1. Or if you want some ranged versions, then they could be those spitting dinosaurs from Jurassic Park the original and they could be exclusively ranged Tier 1 pets. These would be debuff/support focused pets, kind of the supports of the group. Like the raptors could have auras attached to them kind of like giving the group "tactics" since they are smart or the spitters could have debuffs attached to their spit attacks, different kinds of poisons. Then the Tier 2 could fit the tank role, since there are no "tank" tier 2 pets. One could be like a Triceratops that charges into battle and the other could be that dinosaur with the mace as a tail and armor plated back. The Triceratops is a single target tank that taunts whatever it's hitting, while the other one would be an AoE pet that uses provoke with it's attacks. The Tier 3 pet would have to be a T-rex, sorry, no if's and's or but's on this one. The T-rex would be a DPS pet, because Tier 3 DPS pets are the best. He would have a unique ability to jump in the air, grab flying targets and throw them on the ground. He would have a good mix of AoE with his tail and single target. They could function on a unique mechanic where they heal themselves after they kill a target, kind of like eating the bodies. The level 18 ability would be a better version of Serum. It would be like an "enrage" ability on all of the pets. Perhaps for the duration they are forced into aggressive stance so you lose Bodyguard, but they gain a massive damage and speed boost. The damage abilities wouldn't really matter, since no one takes them anyway, but they could probably have a secondary defense down effect attached to them.

There are so many mastermind sets I'd love to see. And a lot of them should be pretty easy to create, as they'd be based on already-existing models.

Longbow

Would be super easy.

Tiers:

[*]2 Longbow Guardians (pistols), 1 Longbow Flamethrower

[*]2 Longbow Sergeants

[*]Longbow Officer or Warden

Legacy Chain

Also super easy. For the tier-3, could swap it for a different element, depending on which would be easier.

Tiers:

[*]1 Lambent of Light, 1 Ember of Flame, 1 Kaolin of Earth

[*]1 Lucent of Light, 1 Blaze of Flame

[*]Tellus of Earth

Arachnos

Again, really easy. And gotta have an Arachnos set, if we have a Longbow set!

Tiers:

[*]2 Wolf Spiders, 1 Crab Spider

[*]2 Fortunata

[*]Tarantula Queen or Mu Guardian

Carnival of Shadows/Light

A longtime favorite, and would be a lot of fun.

Tiers:

[*]2 Attendants, 1 Harlequin Juggler

[*]1 Seneschal, 1 Illusionist

[*]Ring Mistress or Master Illusionist

Tons of other possibilities. Coralax, PPD/RIP/Praetorian PD, Crey, Council, Devouring Earth, Outcasts, Trolls, etc etc.

I've always wanted something like Knights, which could be easily* done with animations already in the game:

T1: Squires (mainly Broadsword attacks, some S/L resistance, nothing fancy. Maybe one broadsword, one mace, and one axe**)

T2: Archers (Archery + Trick/Tactical Arrow.  Stays at range, debuffs enemies to support the Squires and Paladin, good Ranged and AoE Defense)

T3: Paladin (Titan Weapons + Empathy/Pain Domination aura powers, no direct heals, high S/L resistance, maybe some Leadership powers.  "Light" and "Dark" visual customization options for the healing powers)

The MM's own attacks would be from Archery (which would overlap Ninjas, true, but, while I'm dreaming anyway, Ninja MM attacks should be replaced with attacks from Weapon Mastery (Shuriken, Exploding Shuriken) and Martial Assault (Trick Shot).

* Well, "easily" in the sense that new animations wouldn't need to be created from scratch.

** Sung to the tune of "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer")

I've always wanted something like Knights, which could be easily done with animations already in the game:

[...]

The MM's own attacks would be from Archery (which would overlap Ninjas, true, but, while I'm dreaming anyway, Ninja MM attacks should be replaced with attacks from Weapon Mastery (Shuriken, Exploding Shuriken) and Martial Assault (Trick Shot).

+1 - I like all parts of this idea.  :)

I've always wanted something like Knights, which could be easily done with animations already in the game:

T1: Squires (mainly Broadsword attacks, some S/L resistance, nothing fancy. Maybe one broadsword, one mace, and one axe*)

T2: Archers (Archery + Trick/Tactical Arrow.  Stays at range, debuffs enemies to support the Squires and Paladin, good Ranged and AoE Defense)

T3: Paladin (Titan Weapons + Empathy/Pain Domination aura powers, no direct heals, high S/L resistance, maybe some Leadership powers.  "Light" and "Dark" visual customization options for the healing powers)

* Sung to the tune of "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer")

This is a great idea. Would love this.

This wont happen unless they can rework the entire AI of pets. It was the exact reason why they removed +recharge on pets, their AI went totaly bonkers.

As for travel, group flight still works on your pets, they follow you just fine :P

As I recall, the AI issue was that pets spammed their fast-recharging weak attacks and didn't use their slower-recharging powerful attacks. Why they didn't just prioritize available (as in, not currently recharging) longer-recharge attacks (with perhaps some exception to control or AoE attacks, so those might be used more tactically) is something I don't know. Maybe that didn't fix the issue, or perhaps I misunderstood the issue.

Has Group Fly's area been increased? I seem to remember pets falling out of it all the time unless you used Goto to keep them moving with you.